Jazzfanz Bookclub

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JazzGal, May 27, 2010.

1. Lord Bullingdon

Lord Bullingdon Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds(1841) - Charles McKay.

2. Lord Bullingdon

Feb 9, 2013
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1797) by Samuel Coleridge. Excellent stuff.

3. Lord Bullingdon

Feb 9, 2013
    Here Comes a Candle (1950) - Fredric Brown. A good Halloween Novel! This is way ahead of its time.

4. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    I've been listening to the audiobooks, so not sure it counts but "The Three Body Problem" by Liu Cixin.

The author is in China and this was written in Chinese (I'm assuming Mandarin) and translated. It's hard science fiction with a capital H.

Absolutely life altering.

gandalfe likes this.
  5. gandalfe

gandalfe Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    The author, Liu Cixin, also wrote The Wandering Earth, which was turned into the biggest Chinese movie ever, and Netflix paid a ton for it in the States. Also, Three Body Problem is being turned into a series on Amazon, at a cost of $1B.

The translator, Ken Liu (no relation) is also a great writer. His novella The Paper Managerie, is the first work of fiction to win the Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards. His Dendelion Dynasty series is also brilliant.

6. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    Wow! I hope they do right by this. I can't imagine even trying. $1B sounds like they are going to try. Obviously I will watch whatever comes of it.

And thanks, I know what my next several audiobooks are going to be!

7. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    So I downloaded Ken Liu's "Paper Menagerie" and listened to "Good Hunting" and I was like I know this story. So I searched for it and found out it was part of Netflix "Love, Death, Robots" series under the same name. Obviously the written version is better.

I have honestly been moved by a few of the stories so far in "The Paper Menagerie." Ken Liu is an entirely different writer than Liu Cixin. Both are very powerful, but Ken Liu gets at my emotions much more directly.

Thank you @gandalfe! Thank you very very much!

gandalfe likes this.
  8. Rubashov

Rubashov Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Dec 24, 2016
    Im reading Ani Di Franco's book No walls and the recurring dream and have been enjoying it thoroughly, was pleased to learn that one of my other favourite artists in Amanda Palmer was involved in the draft process.