What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

You have BM one. That’s all that matters.

I think Suttree is right up there with it, but it's a very difficult read. Not so much for the subject matter, you just need a damn dictionary next to you.

And here is Nikola Jokic dancing in Serbia with Blood Meridian narration by Richard Poe (highly recommend the audiobook)

I finished "The Odyssey" by Homer last night. I might be in the minority, but it isn't a favorite. I thought my family tells long-winded stories . . .

Circe by Madeline Miller told the same story so much better.

I don't think I'm going to tackle The Iliad any time soon. I'll just rewatch Troy instead.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I just recently read Circe. It was OK but it made me feel like I was back in junior high doing the mythology unit.

Killers of the Flower Moon.

A really cool nonfiction book involving mystery, the birth of the FBI, and of course murder. It reads like a fiction but is nonfiction. Incredible that something like this actually happened.

Anyone else read it?

Amazon product ASIN B01CWZFBZ4

Yep. Solid read. Mentioned it about 10-12 months ago here.

It’s being made into a film by Scorsese with, surprise, DiCaprio as the lead.

I read Killers of the Flower Moon last year. Liked it - - fascinating story. Somewhat complex though, I sort of wish I had a Cliff's Note version (or some sort of flow chart) to keep it all straight.

One of the more interesting ideas I gleaned from the book was how law enforcement in general was far less organized and police departments and communities relied far more on private investigators to solve cases. They could be somewhat lawless in the methods they used to track down information.

Trying to decide between re-reading Handmaid's Tale and then reading the sequel, the Testaments, or going full-on Silk Punk. I read the Dandelion Dynasty novels and loved them, so I'm thinking of reading the Tensorate series by JF Yang next.

Trying to decide between re-reading Handmaid's Tale and then reading the sequel, the Testaments, or going full-on Silk Punk. I read the Dandelion Dynasty novels and loved them, so I'm thinking of reading the Tensorate series by JF Yang next.

Have you watched the tv series? I freaking love it

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Starting to go thru the MASSIVE catalogue of GK Chesterton "the prince of paradox". Anyone have a recommendation?. IDK where even to begin (with the 100's of short stories i suppose)

Came across this quote I love. This is a good thread to share it.

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

― Albert Einstein

Starting with "The Man Who Was Thursday", a Neil Gaiman reccomendation. Next up "In Defense of Sanity"and "Whats Wrong With The World"

I finished "The Testaments" by Margaret Atwood (sequel to The Handmaid's Tale). It's very good and a worthy successor.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Just finished The Great Alone.
Most heartbreaking book of all time. Bawled like a baby throughout the final third of the book

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny. Hugo Award winner from 1968. This is really quite interesting its got a heavy Hindu-Buhdisst type of thing going but its sci-fi and i guess modernized (despite being 50 years old) with western style characters/conflict.

Getting back to the Chesterton stuff after the yankee game.

I started on Stephen Kings latest, The Institute.
It's like slipping on an old comfortable pair of slippers.
I got into a 12 book (so far) series called The Bowl of Souls that took me a while. Then a book by the same author called Tallow Jones, Wizard Detective. Then I read a book called The Survivors and it's sister book The Final Winter. Then I read a 2 book series called What Happened to Lori (book 1 was fantastic. Book 2 was good but a bit too far fetched imo)
Then read The Great Alone. Killer book. Unforgettable might be the best way to describe it.

So it's been a while since I read some King. So nice to be back. After The Institute I'm gonna have to read The Outsider by King.

I have read almost every book he has written which is a whole lot of books. Seems like everything he writes ends up a movie or TV show (or both in some cases) anymore. Especially lately. The Institute just came out and they already have a movie or TV show (I forget which one) coming soon.

The Institute was fantastic. It ranks as one of King's best imo.

Last edited: