What's new

Jerry Sloan interested in Magic coaching job

Jazz Punk Rocker

Contributor
https://www.foxsportsflorida.com/05...anding_magic.html?blockID=733556&feedID=10140

Jerry Sloan once coached temperamental star Karl Malone for 15 years. Perhaps his next challenge could be another such guy, Dwight Howard.

Sloan told FOX Sports Florida on Tuesday he has interest in the Orlando Magic job, which became open Monday when Stan Van Gundy was fired.

“Yes, I think so,’’ Sloan said from his farm in McLeansboro, Ill., about his interest. “It would be very intriguing. But they would have to be interested in me.’’

Sloan, a Hall of Famer, resigned from the Utah Jazz in February 2011 after 23 seasons. But he said not long after that he got the urge to return to coaching.

Sloan, who has a 1,221-803 career NBA coaching mark in 26 overall seasons, said he has not heard anything yet from the Magic. He also said he has interest in the Charlotte job but hasn’t heard from the Bobcats.

“It’s not always about starting at the top,’’ Sloan, 70, said when asked if he really would interested in a rebuilding situation such as the one with Bobcats, whose 7-59 record resulted in the worst winning percentage in NBA history (.106).

The Orlando job is obviously a much better one. Howard, who had plenty of friction with Van Gundy, is the NBA’s best center and is under contract, at least for next season.

“I’d let other people judge that,’’ Sloan said when asked if he could coach Howard, who had been flirting with leaving small-market Orlando but decided just before the March 15 trade deadline that he would not opt out of his contract and delay possible free agency until the summer of 2013.

The Magic on Monday also let go of general manager Otis Smith. That makes the Orlando situation a little tricky for Sloan to gauge.

“You don’t know what direction that they’re going to go,’’ said Sloan, who coached Malone and star point guard John Stockton with Utah from 1988-2003, leading the Jazz to the NBA Finals in 1997 and 1998. “You have to see what happens with their staff. I’d have to weigh the pluses and minuses. But I’d be interested in listening.’’

When Sloan left the Jazz, he didn’t know if he wanted to coach again. But Sloan, while not pinpointing an exact moment, said he eventually got the urge to again be back on the bench.

“I felt like I needed to get away from basketball,’’ Sloan said. “I worked (26) years (as a head coach). It was time for me to move on and see what was going in the world. That’s been kind of interesting. But I still have that void of basketball.’’

Sloan was asked what he learned about what was going on in the world.

“Well, the sun comes up every day,’’ he said.

That sure sounds like a guy who got bored not coaching. And right now, he would welcome another chance to get back.

“I don’t have an agent,’’ Sloan said. “I don’t need for anybody to talk for me. If somebody calls me, I will listen.’’

Deron might not be joining Dwight in Orlando anymore...

Sounds like the alfalfa doesn't cower enough before Sloan. He needs real men to fight, not the straw kind.

This can only end badly. I did however predict some time ago that Jerry Sloan would die on the court (and probably pick up a tech in the process).

Jerry doesn't give a damn about his legacy. Go ahead, coach. If you're itching to get back, I say go for it.

Just not the Lakers.

I'd like to see him coach again. Stop being selfish. The guy can coach other teams.

The bolded part is ****ing retarded. The opinions expressed here are as "selfish" as your own. Dumb...

Having said that you are right Slaon can/should do whatever Sloan wants to do. However my opinion is that he should stay retired and not pull a Favre.

The bolded part is ****ing retarded. The opinions expressed here are as "selfish" as your own. Dumb...

Having said that you are right Slaon can/should do whatever Sloan wants to do. However my opinion is that he should stay retired and not pull a Favre.

How is it pulling a Favre? Did he ever say "I'm retired, that's it, I'm done." He has never expressed that and said soon after quitting he would be interested in coaching again if the right team offered him a job.

Comparing a coach's hiatus to a player's is dumb. Sloan can still coach.

I'd also be interested in seeing what Sloan would do with the current roster. He has never had that many 3pt shooters and I wonder if he would still neglect it with it being the biggest Magic advantage. I know he would get a lot more out of players like Nelson, Davis, and Howard though.

I agree. Do not start pulling a Favre. Im in, im out, im in, im out. Keep your dignity and move on to something else.
As long as he's dedicated and committed 100%, I have no problem with a Sloan returning to the bench, just like I didn't mind MJ coming back to play for the Wizards. At the end of the day it's about doing what you want to do, not how you want everyone else to remember you - and if you have the ability to play or coach at the highest level then take advantage of that opportunity.

I would hate to see him go to Orlando though - because the Magic have already broadcasted that they'll do anything to keep Dwight Howard at the expense of coaching and management. The only authority any coach there will have is their reputation, but ultimately that can only last for so long if you don't have any backing from ownership.

I would like to see him coach, only to see what would happen when he doesn't have an organization and fan base kneel before him and ignore his failures and laud his successes.

I do not think him doing another coaching stint would go well.

I'm sure Jerry doesn't care what people think about whether he coaches ... in fact, why should any of us oppose it? It's not like he's a player who's lost his physical ability. Coaching is a mental thing and if he feels he still has the enthusiasm and energy to do it, then why not?

If jerry does make a come back, will he take Phil Johnson back with him? We cannot lose our best roots reporter! His sentences are as smooth as buttta

The article also states that he was interested in Charlotte. I can't believe Jerry would ever work under Mike J the owner/GM.

I would LOVE to see what Sloan could do with the Bobcats team, especially if they can land Davis, or Thomas Robinson. If he could seriously improve the teams record from last season, I think he would be essentially cemented as one of the best coaches in NBA history, no-debates.