What's new

Joe Ingles Appreciation Thread (Edit: Confirmed ACL, Out for Season)

Everyone so quick to give him a minimum.
Just remember that he was at his peak 12 mos ago (EDIT- I don’t think I agree with this anymore. He was pretty dang good 12 mos ago, but not his peak.) Then Conley went down and he had to transition from primary backup shooting guard to primary backup point guard (something very few 6’8 players can do.) Going to point guard wore him out and he was exhausted during the playoffs.

Then he went to the Olympics and shortly after that training camp started up. He never got to rest and get his body right. Go to the first page of this thread and look at Joe’s arms. They are more defined, he was leaner and stronger. He didn’t come into training camp in great shape this year.

I know this is crazy talk, but if Joe really wants it, he could take this summer, rest, rehab, and get into great shape again. And maybe he could contribute 10-15 minutes a night. He’s past his peak for sure and would only have one or two years left… but maybe?

Am I crazy?

Or Joe could retire and ride off into the sunset.

(I don’t know NBA contracts very well, is there something in between MLE and vets minimum?)

Last edited:
Just remember that he was at his peak 12 mos ago. Then Conley went down and he had to transition from primary backup shooting guard to primary backup point guard (something very few 6’8 players can do.) Going to point guard wore him out and he was exhausted during the playoffs.

Then he went to the Olympics and shortly after that training camp started up. He never got to rest and get his body right. Go to the first page of this thread and look at Joe’s arms. They are more defined, he was leaner and stronger. He didn’t come into training camp in great shape this year.

I know this is crazy talk, but if Joe really wants it, he could take this summer, rest, rehab, and get into great shape again. And maybe he could contribute 10-15 minutes a night. He’s past his peak for sure and would only have one or two years left… but maybe?

Am I crazy?

(I don’t know NBA contracts very well, is there something in between MLE and vets minimum?)
You are crazy. He had really showed his age this year or that he was out of shape... whatever narrative you want to give it is fair... but neither are good.

This is a full year injury... at least. Many guys suck the first year back... so roll forward 18 months and he still is not likely to be at or near his playing level this year. So he's looking at a 2 year process imo... and its effing hard... and it might eat a guy up at his age. It would be a mental and physical battle. I doubt he plays in the NBA again. I think he rehabs and plays in Australia and he likely gets some ownership in the franchise he picks.

Think Joe's NBA career is over sadly
He was already talking retirement before injury
Don't think he's ever had to go through this demanding a rehab
Love Joe but he has had a very good NBA career and made lot's of money to live comfortably
Farewell Joe Ingles

You are crazy. He had really showed his age this year or that he was out of shape... whatever narrative you want to give it is fair... but neither are good.

This is a full year injury... at least. Many guys suck the first year back... so roll forward 18 months and he still is not likely to be at or near his playing level this year. So he's looking at a 2 year process imo... and its effing hard... and it might eat a guy up at his age. It would be a mental and physical battle. I doubt he plays in the NBA again. I think he rehabs and plays in Australia and he likely gets some ownership in the franchise he picks.
Ben Anderson suggested a shorter timeline.

Even though I said it, I do think it’s more likely that he retires. I just don’t think it’s 100% out of the realm of possibility.

If he comes back it would have to be out of love of the game, and he didn’t show much joy this season (maybe because he’s not as good as he used to be.)

Ben Anderson suggested a shorter timeline.

Even though I said it, I do think it’s more likely that he retires. I just don’t think it’s 100% out of the realm of possibility.

If he comes back it would have to be out of love of the game, and he didn’t show much joy this season (maybe because he’s not as good as he used to be.)
I think all the travel and basketball the last couple years wore him out. I think he's too normal. If I was him I'd be sad but I'd likely be thinking of going home and making some money in Australia... say he only makes 1-2M or something there between endorsements, equity in a team, and salary... and you get more family time and are closer to extended family... how much more would he need to be offered to stay here to make it worth it? Hell maybe he rehabs in Australia... gets a refresher and comes back in 18 months for one final go at it?

I hope there's a way to retain him. maybe coaching staff, shooting coach?

joe is like sunshine in a dark locker room.

My guess is Joe would have had a bench spot on the next Olympic team as a goal for his retirement, along with patty mills and aron baynes. Looks like patty might be the only one to make it. In terms of coming home and buying a team, I dunno. Delly is currently playing for Melbourne United, I believe his deal will likely have an ownership stake attached when he retires, Dante i think owns a slice of South East Melbourne Pheonix, Bogut has a share in the Sydney Kings. The Adelaide 36ers, (team that passed on Joe as a kid pretty much) might make sense but who knows if there will be a share available for him. The league has just expanded into Tasmania so I doubt there will be any expansion in the near future. Melbourne and probably Sydney could support another team, in a few years, there has been a huge influx of local talent coming home from college ball in the US.

For doctors out there, is this type of injury something that just happens or is it caused by previous injury/overuse?

Was Joe putting more than usual pressure on that ligament and that’s why it gave last night? Or was the knee becoming weaker and more vulnerable to injury?

Had we load managed him more, would this have been avoided? Or so torn ACLs just freakishly happen?

Definitely don’t want to jinx him because he’s been such a joy to watch play for 3 decades, but I’m genuinely shocked that Lebron hasn’t had a similar injury. He puts so much pressure on his knees with all the cuts, hard drives, and jumps he makes. It’s just unreal that Lebron has played since I graduated in high school and hasn’t had any major knee injuries and still appears like most of his athleticism is intact. Crazy

Just remember that he was at his peak 12 mos ago (EDIT- I don’t think I agree with this anymore. He was pretty dang good 12 mos ago, but not his peak.) Then Conley went down and he had to transition from primary backup shooting guard to primary backup point guard (something very few 6’8 players can do.) Going to point guard wore him out and he was exhausted during the playoffs.

Am I crazy?

He's a couple years past his real prime and we've been talking about it for 2 years. Ever since he went to the bench when Conley came in he's been less connected to everything and he almost always does better starting. Last year he was great and very impactful since he had adjusted, but he wasn't as aggressive due to coming off the bench, and he'd started losing a step. This season he was very obviously either already nursing an injury or worn out and out of shape from playing in the Olympics and not getting the rest and recovery he needed, or just having age catch up to him, maybe some of all of it.

This is just such a ****** way for him to go out. He deserves better

I fear for the locker room. Some players made statements alluding to it, but I think he helped bring the team together and helped to keep potential conflicts from boiling over. With this losing streak and no Joe I think things could go sideways.

I fear for the locker room. Some players made statements alluding to it, but I think he helped bring the team together and helped to keep potential conflicts from boiling over. With this losing streak and no Joe I think things could go sideways.
Yeah, I have no idea where this is headed now. Would love it if it was the event that brought everyone the proper perspective and really crystalized all the lessons they should know by now, but my gut feeling right now is that this might totally fall apart. I hope my dread is misplaced, but y'all, it's been real good the last 5 years. Even when we thought it was bad.