What's new

John Stockton - Game 6 97' WCF Highlights

prodigy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-EEL7FfQM

Slow start to the game for Stockton, but he got going in the 3rd and we all know what happened in the 4th.

Thanks for posting. Check out the bear hug Karl had on Drexler on 'the shot'

I know right? That's the way you screen someone. These pansies in the NBA today have no idea.

What's interesting is, as a longtime Jazz fan. The 2 most memorable moments for me in all the years, were both tainted by controversial no-calls. This, and obviously Jordan's push off on Russell.

Most amazing thing about this game was we trailed by 13 with a little over 3:00 left...what a comeback. Looked certain that we were headed back to SLC for a game 7 but Stockton was having none of that. Even if the shot hadn't gone in, given how we finished regulation i felt we'd have won in OT.

I always thought Stockton's individual scoring ability was the underrated part of his game. He'd only look to go 1-on-1 in desperate, late-game situations but when he set his mind to it he would score in bunches late in games and routinely hit really tough shots (double-clutch runner against Kerr in Gm 1 of the 98 Finals). Also nothing better than seeing him pull-up for 3 in transition.

Also one of the games that helped Ostertag get his $39 million contract - 16 pts and 15 reb against Hakeem before fouling out.

Agreed. It really bothers me when I think of all the hacks that have received rings over the years and yet, our own Stockton, Malone and Hornacek...nothing.

Just to put things in perspective, alot of Jazz fans are frustrated because despite making the playoffs the past 4 seasons we're yet to get "over the hump." Well it took Stockton&Malone 12 years to make the Finals and they were bounced in the 1st-round in exactly half of those years.

Essentially the last 4 years, times 3. Imagine the yearly meltdowns if this message board was around back then?
Obviously different eras and different parameters, but life wasn't a bed of roses in the Stockton&Malone era either.

Half of Stock's shots I thought should have been and-1's...but that's obviously only true in today's NBA. Back in the day they actually let guys play. I miss the old NBA where guys could actually bump each other.

Clutch

Stock took over in the biggest game in his career to that date. He willed his team to victory and proved that, if needed, he could take over offensively. I think it is good to keep perspective on how long it took for the Jazz to reach the NBA Finals. I am sure Stock was frustrated during that time, but he wasn't looking to bolt to the Rockets, Bulls, Knicks, Suns, or other contenders at the time, despite all of the early playoff letdowns.

I am sick of superstars these days claiming they "just want to win" but that means they want to jump ship instead of carrying a team and making them better. This is where I wish Deron would grow up a bit. Yes, management can help get you some pieces, but you need to make your teammates better and work with the personnel you have out on the court. I don't think the passive-agressive threats to management help. I think you are throwing your teammates under the bus.