What's new

Jordan Clarkson appreciation Thread

416Klawzz

I haven't posted here in a while but I'm glad Jordan Clarkson is shutting alot of your guys mouths around here. He does not get enough love or appreciation. He broke our 15 year triple double drought and did it for the first time in 40 years off the bench. He doesn't bring a flawless game always but he damn well doesn't get enough respect here so to all your JC haters ... Show love.

He is playing well just in time to get traded. Hopefully in the next couple weeks.

He's deserved all the criticism he's gotten this season. For the first couple of months he was truly bad and basically lost us several games.

He's been much better off the bench.
This is true. Going back to the Exum trade I’m undoubtedly one of his biggest supporters on this site having remembered his torching us a few times in his early days with the Lakers. But this season he came out the gates so slow and so fog headed that I was convinced that he’d developed a drinking problem or something. I started suggesting that maybe it was time to get off the Clarkson Express. But alas Clarkson once again used that adversity of losing his starting job to motivate himself and to get that razor sharp focus back.

Whoever doesn’t see how special Clarkson has been for us here in Utah must be blind or hypnotized by the naysayers. This guy has been so clutch for us and won so many games for us down the stretch I honestly can’t even remember through the annals of Jazz history another Jazzman that comes close. Mitchell was choke city, DWill didn’t do much in that regard and I could count on one hand the game winners Stockton made. But Clarkson and now Sexton to a degree, (Clarkson’s protégé from the Cleveland years) are absolutely fearless in crunch time and have proven themselves over and over again when it matters most. If we have a playoff run in us this season we need to hang onto the flame imo.

Last edited:
This is true. Going back to the Exum trade I’m undoubtedly one of his biggest supporters on this site having remembered his torching us a few times in his early days with the Lakers. But this season he came out the gates so slow and so fog headed that I was convinced that he’d developed a drinking problem or something. I started suggesting that maybe it was time to get off the Clarkson Express. But alas Clarkson once again used that adversity of losing his starting job to motivate himself and to get that razor sharp focus back.

Whoever doesn’t see how special Clarkson has been for us here in Utah must be blind or hypnotized by the naysayers. This guy has been so clutch for us and won so many games for us down the stretch I honestly can’t even remember through the annals of Jazz history another Jazzman that comes close. Mitchell was choke city, DWill didn’t do much in that regard and I could count on one hand the game winners Stockton made. But Clarkson and now Sexton to a degree, (Clarkson’s protégé from the Cleveland years) are absolutely fearless in crunch time and have proven themselves over and over again when it matters most. If we have a playoff run in us this season we need to hang onto the flame imo.
Clarkson is clutch, no doubt, but he is also a turnover machine. His poor decision making results in leading the team in turnovers by a LARGE margin. He had 5 last night. Most of his TOs are headscratchers. (Most of the other key folks has 0-1, with Collins and Olynyk having 2, which is amazingly low overall for the pace of this game with an OT period.) Throwing right to defenders, overdribbling to steals or like last night, losing the handle (went out of bounds).

He really needs to be the 6th man type that gets the ball low in the shot clock. That is where he excels. Part of this is we need a better floor general, part of it is giving these guys too much lease to run outside of the sets. I like to see Clarkson get the ball at the end of game and short shot clock scenarios. That is where his value shines. Asking him to be a primary ball handler and distributor leads to disaster.

Clarkson shot amazingly high percentages last night but was still a plus 5. Walker was a plus 15.

He's deserved all the criticism he's gotten this season. For the first couple of months he was truly bad and basically lost us several games.

He's been much better off the bench.

He had two good games. The game before that, he came off the bench and looked terrible.

I appreciate you, Jordan, but it's time to move on.

Jordan will always win you some games when playing well. The only problem is he also loses you some games when playing bad. It's rarely in-between.

This season he has lost us waayyy more games than he won us. But he seems to have turned things around post injury and now coming off the bench. I hope he keeps it up. He's a great guy!

I think its easier to love JC now that Hardy is not giving him automatic closing duties but rides the hot hand.

One reason we are good is we have no egoes to pamper. Steph has recently had a few absolute stinker 4th Qs where he took a lot of bad shots and missed them, but you have to ride him regardless.

GSW has some of the best clutch game winners of all time.... yet:

Utah Jazz #1 in clutch minute points (11.9), #1 in clutch 3P% (53.1), #4 in clutch winning% (66.7)

GSW #14 in points (8.4), #8 in 3P% (35.1), #14 in win% (50.0).

Utah has 15 clutch games and GSW has 26, so decent samples.

I appreciate Clarkson.

It's important to remember these high moments as he's going through his low moments. Over his entire career he's had way more high moments for us than low moments. He also has a long enough playing history to know that when he's going through a rough stretch it's only a matter of time before he turns it around.

Clarkson is clutch, no doubt, but he is also a turnover machine. His poor decision making results in leading the team in turnovers by a LARGE margin. He had 5 last night. Most of his TOs are headscratchers. (Most of the other key folks has 0-1, with Collins and Olynyk having 2, which is amazingly low overall for the pace of this game with an OT period.) Throwing right to defenders, overdribbling to steals or like last night, losing the handle (went out of bounds).

He really needs to be the 6th man type that gets the ball low in the shot clock. That is where he excels. Part of this is we need a better floor general, part of it is giving these guys too much lease to run outside of the sets. I like to see Clarkson get the ball at the end of game and short shot clock scenarios. That is where his value shines. Asking him to be a primary ball handler and distributor leads to disaster.

Clarkson shot amazingly high percentages last night but was still a plus 5. Walker was a plus 15.
Yeah, that’s valid and why I agree that his role is best as a sixth man type and as an iso option in crunch time. It’s kind of remarkable that he never seems to turn it over when the game is on the line and it matters most. He’s kind of in the mold of the other JC, Jamaal Crawford and I imagine one of the best one on one players in the league. He is definitely not a floor general that is good at distribution. This is where he runs into trouble imo. His one on one abilities combined with his no conscience Constitution makes him a valuable weapon used properly nonetheless.

I think its easier to love JC now that Hardy is not giving him automatic closing duties but rides the hot hand.

One reason we are good is we have no egoes to pamper. Steph has recently had a few absolute stinker 4th Qs where he took a lot of bad shots and missed them, but you have to ride him regardless.

GSW has some of the best clutch game winners of all time.... yet:

Utah Jazz #1 in clutch minute points (11.9), #1 in clutch 3P% (53.1), #4 in clutch winning% (66.7)

GSW #14 in points (8.4), #8 in 3P% (35.1), #14 in win% (50.0).

Utah has 15 clutch games and GSW has 26, so decent samples.
#1 clutch minute points - how cool is that?

What a strange way to frame having Steph Curry on your team. "Oh man, sucks that we have to play Steph Curry"