What's new

Game Thread Jul 14, 2022 09:00pm: Jazz at Suns (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-14-23

Still can’t believe we passed on him twice and couldn’t bother to move up from 28 to get him.
Whitmore's not Jazz culture. No one thinks Cam's not good. It seems he doesn't like to practice, he's an inconsistent shooter, he didn't seem invested in workouts/interviews. They say there were potential injury concerns, but if so I think they were a small factor. Spence Checkets asked Tim Bontemps if the Jazz may have interest in Christian Woods since they didn't get Paul Reed. He said I don't think so, and maybe 20 seconds later, he said No cause he's not a culture fit for the Jazz. In the same way, I believe they think Cam's not a culture fit. Do you think the Jazz would have ever taken Dillon Brooks? No, they don't want that culture/fit on the team. After the way Cam acted and presented himself, they would have never taken him. They took him off their board. They didn't even put him in their Top 200. They took him off their list. Basically they said, he's not an option for us.

Last edited:
Whitmore's not Jazz culture. No one thinks Cam's not good. It seems he doesn't like to practice, he's an inconsistent shooter, he didn't seem invested in workouts/interviews. They say there were potential injury concerns, but if so I think they were a small factor. Spence Checkets asked Tim Bontemps if the Jazz may have interest in Christian Woods since they didn't get Paul Reed. He said I don't think so, and maybe 20 seconds later, he said No cause he's not a culture fit for the Jazz. In the same way, I believe they think Cam's not a culture fit. Do you think the Jazz would have ever taken Dillon Brooks? No, they don't want that culture/fit on the team. After the way Cam acted and presented himself, they would have never taken him. They took him off their board. They didn't even put him in their Top 200. They took him off their list. Basically they said, he's not an option for us.
How did Cam act?

How did Cam act?
I feel like he is confusing Cam with GG. We heard a rumor that GG wasn't on the Jazz board at all but heard nothing like that about Cam. I don't think there is any reason to believe that the jazz disliked Cam. They simply valued Taylor and Key more.

Lmao whatever.

Averaging in double figures in Vegas were Key, Juzang, Luka, Potter and Ross. The last four names could be on the waiver wire Tuesday and I doubt too many tears would be shed on this board.

Averaging in double figures in Vegas were Key, Juzang, Luka, Potter and Ross. The last four names could be on the waiver wire Tuesday and I doubt too many tears would be shed on this board.
None of them appear to be rotational NBA guys at this point, but I could see any of Juzang, Luka and Potter getting spot minutes and valuable practice time with the Jazz this year. Ross feels like a camp invite on an Exhibit 10 deal and then a stint with the Stars.

Johnny Juzang feels like the most likely guy after Keyonte to actually get NBA minutes. He HAS to get better on defense though. His offense isn’t special enough to justify being a one way player in the nba. Definitely some Niang vibes with his style of play at the moment.

The thing about Ross that is interesting is that he seems to be a closer at least at Summer League level. That is a thing that is hard to teach. Either a player has it or they don't. I'm guessing his best hope is Exhibit 10 and the Stars.

The thing about Ross that is interesting is that he seems to be a closer at least at Summer League level. That is a thing that is hard to teach. Either a player has it or they don't. I'm guessing his best hope is Exhibit 10 and the Stars.
I agree. Also, he has gotten better the more time he has spent on the court. That isn’t always the case either.

I would be pretty disappointed if we waived Luka. I just feel like the pieces are all there for him to be a really solid backup big.

I would be pretty disappointed if we waived Luka. I just feel like the pieces are all there for him to be a really solid backup big.
I think he’s shown enough to stick around - especially since his guarantees are spread out over the course of the season AND because it doesn’t look like the Jazz are going to make any more big moves in free agency.

I think they only way they cut him is if they have a better option on the roster, and I don’t see that right now.

How did Cam act?
I have read a lot of articles and posts from reporters, seen comments on ESPN, as well as other reporters takes on why Cam was falling in the draft. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/06/cam-whitmore-nba-draft-why-is-he-falling
I know for a fact that they said the Jazz removed Whitmore from their draft board.

If you look up Cam Whitmore sliding, there are a lot of things out there.
There are a lot of things out there. This doesn't say the Jazz blackballed him, but I also found this:
Eric Walden https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/06/29/reviewing-some-details-utah-jazzs/

Speaking of Cam Whitmore …
Why did a guy ostensibly in conversations to go as high as No. 4 overall wind up dropping all the way to 20? And why did the Jazz pass on him not once but twice?

Talking to some people across the league, a few things kept coming up:

• Declining opinion on him apparently started a couple of weeks ago in many front offices, rather than the last few days before the draft, and some teams simply had mid-first round grades on him.

• It’s true that some workouts and interviews weren’t great, but those were secondary. The primary concerns were that his production at Villanova underwhelmed relative to his athleticism; the lack of a standout skill stood out; and several teams had concerns about his knees, with one team apparently outright red-flagging him.

• His slide probably was exacerbated by not working out for a team lower than the Jazz at 9. So, Dallas at 10, OKC at 12, Toronto at 13, New Orleans at 14, Atlanta at 15, the Lakers at 17, Miami at 18, and Golden State at 19, may have simply not gotten great intel on him, may not have been privy to his medical info, and thus felt they were operating in the dark too much to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
So we drafted 3 injured players. Yay.