What's new

Julius Randle > D'Angelo Russell

I like the idea of Randall personally and think he, along with another “value add” at guard will be a legit option if we don’t have a path to a marquee free agent.

It won’t be sexy day one but could legit make us better than we have been in years with depth and tradable asset/contracts.
That's the other aspect. Randle will be a reasonable contract I think and could be a great trade asset in the future

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Crowder can play the 3 imo and that would take some of the burden off Ingles (I think he plays too many minutes and is worn down for the playoffs) which is a good thing.

Crowder can play the 3 but he isn't as good there. He struggles to guard the other 3 and isn't as good. Also Royce is going to play more minutes and those will be at the 3 like they were in the playoffs.

That's the other aspect. Randle will be a reasonable contract I think and could be a great trade asset in the future

If Randle is cheap then great. Then he makes room for someone else to be signed. Will the be cheap though? If he is as good as people here think and has that much upside why is he going for cheap?

If Randle comes, you'll need to make a big upgrade to backup C, and I really don't see a lot of good options. But, he would boost the offense quite a bit.

If Randle is cheap then great. Then he makes room for someone else to be signed. Will the be cheap though? If he is as good as people here think and has that much upside why is he going for cheap?
Because he doesn’t fit the prototype for a modern 4 (and isn’t going to start anywhere at the 5). But he’s closer to that than Favors is.

Favors played with an ill fitting PG this year. Randle played with an elite PG and an Elite big next to him most of the year. Randle's biggest advantage over Favors is that he is 3 years younger. We will see about contract amounts.

WS Favors +1.8
PER Favors +0.8
Offensive rating Favors +11
Defensive rating Favors +9
BPM Favors +2.9
OBPM Favors +0.7
DBPM Favors +3.6
Block% Favors +3.2
Steals % Favors +0.4
Rebound % Favors +2.5
TS% Favors +.24
Turnover % Favors was lower by 2.3%

The only thing Randle did better stats wise was passing.

If we can get Randle for cheap and allows us to sign Russell and we cant do that with Favors then great. Otherwise I think this move hardly moves the needle for us. Maybe if we land 2 other mid range FA like Randle maybe we get a slight improvement.

Randle is much worse defensively and a slight upgrade on offense. But I am not even sure he is a slight upgrade on offense. We run a ton of pick and rolls which Favors is an elite big at. Randle is not. He strengths dont suite our offense as much and he hurts our defense. Plus Favors can play both the 4 and 5 well. Randle cannot.

If Randle comes, you'll need to make a big upgrade to backup C, and I really don't see a lot of good options. But, he would boost the offense quite a bit.
You play him as the backup 5 since he’s spent a ton of time there. It also opens up more time for Gobert to play with stretchier lineups.

Genuinely thought the date would be from years back when i saw the thread title...

this is preposterous...

d'angelo russell is even better than mitchell!

russell could also easily start 82 games at the SF position too. No doubt he can play 3 positions at a starting level..

we're talking bout the youngest all-star in the league last szn.. He's a great shooter, can space the floor for mitchell.

They will trend to smaller players and he will likely continue to improve his perimeter skills. In other words, the changes would favor him.
Then even better to buck that trend and abuse teams that go that route with a big PF. Just like Favors has done in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Then even better to buck that trend and abuse teams that go that route with a big PF. Just like Favors has done in the playoffs the last 2 years.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh what? If anything, the playoffs showed that elite teams require playmaking or shooting at every single position. I’m frankly not
even sure Gobert is a championship piece, but I’m positive he and Favors playing alongside each isn’t. 100% positive.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh what? If anything, the playoffs showed that elite teams require playmaking or shooting at every single position. I’m frankly not
even sure Gobert is a championship piece, but I’m positive he and Favors playing alongside each isn’t. 100% positive.

Well, I disagree with that.

The hard choice that would make the Jazz the best would be to trade Gobert. Favors is almost as good at Center and a little more dynamic. Gobert could net us a All-star. But that will never happen. The Jazz could not do that. Imagine if we had traded Gobert for Kawhi last year. We could have won it all. It will never happen here though.

Favors played with an ill fitting PG this year. Randle played with an elite PG and an Elite big next to him most of the year. Randle's biggest advantage over Favors is that he is 3 years younger. We will see about contract amounts.

WS Favors +1.8
PER Favors +0.8
Offensive rating Favors +11
Defensive rating Favors +9
BPM Favors +2.9
OBPM Favors +0.7
DBPM Favors +3.6
Block% Favors +3.2
Steals % Favors +0.4
Rebound % Favors +2.5
TS% Favors +.24
Turnover % Favors was lower by 2.3%

The only thing Randle did better stats wise was passing.

If we can get Randle for cheap and allows us to sign Russell and we cant do that with Favors then great. Otherwise I think this move hardly moves the needle for us. Maybe if we land 2 other mid range FA like Randle maybe we get a slight improvement.

Randle is much worse defensively and a slight upgrade on offense. But I am not even sure he is a slight upgrade on offense. We run a ton of pick and rolls which Favors is an elite big at. Randle is not. He strengths dont suite our offense as much and he hurts our defense. Plus Favors can play both the 4 and 5 well. Randle cannot.

Randle averaged 21 points a game, Favors could never do that. He outclasses Favors pretty badly on the offensive end with his fast hitting drives, spins, and soft touch. If he ever gets a 3 pointer could be a first option. (but I dont think he will).

Randle averaged 21 points a game, Favors could never do that. He outclasses Favors pretty badly on the offensive end with his fast hitting drives, spins, and soft touch. If he ever gets a 3 pointer could be a first option. (but I dont think he will).

Favors could easily average that on a bad team if he got the touches Randle got. Favors averaged 16 ppg at the same age as Randle getting far less touches per game. There is a reason Favors has a higher OFF rating, higher OBPM rating, Offensive WS, and TS%.

Favors could easily average that on a bad team if he got the touches Randle got. Favors averaged 16 ppg at the same age as Randle getting far less touches per game. There is a reason Favors has a higher OFF rating, higher OBPM rating, Offensive WS, and TS%.
It’s because he is a limited offensive player and doesn’t take difficult shots. None of your analysis takes into consideration skill or load. We need more players that can do something without someone else setting the table for them. Pretty desperately.

I’ve long been a doubter of Randle, but I’m starting to see him as having a Millsap-like trajectory.

Randall is great, but is he really a big upgrade over Favors?

Also, I would prefer Brogdon to D Lo in every way. He is super efficient, plays both sides of the court, and he is going to be cheaper than D Lo.

Assuming we got Brogdon and Favors are we really that much different than Brogdon and Randle? Randle can stretch the floor a bit more, but Favors is more familiar with what we are doing. Randle is younger, but probably costs more than Favors TBH.