What's new

Game Thread Jun 18, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers - Game 6

Added to Calendar: 06-18-21

Eh, Rudy has problems which I am willing to admit. I think there is an urge in him to protect the rim that makes him not trust any of his teammates. It is somewhat justified, Jazz have had terrible perimeter defenders the last 2 years but you have to guard your man first and you can't half *** contests in the playoffs. However, if he shut down Mann and everyone else scored and we got beat, the blame would still be on him. I just don't think putting Rudy between a rock and a hard place is a viable strategy.

Clips started almost all of their actions from the opposite side from Rudy because Rudy would slow it down, buy time and let defenders settle. But when you are the last line of defense and you are coming from the corner to help on a guy that's coming towards the rim unhindered, you aren't going to do much even if you are Rudy. I wish we would have switched in those situations so Rudy wouldn't need to care about Mann but Jazz perimeter defenders are slow, hobbled and not very smart. If Mitchell or Conley, ran straight to Mann after getting beat, may be we could have stood a better chance.

Still Rudy either needs to trust in the system or his teammates. I don't like the concept of playing halfway both. There are some habits there that needs to be eliminated.

Offensively, he got schemed out by Clips with a ZONE! We were all looking forward to that. Jazz have great offensive players and shooters, you don't need Rudy to beat a zone. Zone is when we thought we would feast. I don't know how that would be Rudy's fault.
He should dominate the glass in a zone. He didn’t do that.

he just isn’t able to control his own destiny... that’s fine if you are paid like say Clint Capela... it becomes cumbersome for a contender to work around his limitations while paying him a Big Max deal.

He should dominate the glass in a zone. He didn’t do that.

he just isn’t able to control his own destiny... that’s fine if you are paid like say Clint Capela... it becomes cumbersome for a contender to work around his limitations while paying him a Big Max deal.
You can't dominate the glass if the defense isn't broken down. Jazz couldn't get into the paint at all. When Mitchell attacked for a few minutes Game 5, Rudy got rebounds and kept us afloat for a time.

I think we are cute, Jazz don't need an overhaul. Ingles on the bench, Bogey gone and someone with size like Bridges who can slide to protect the rim so the rim isn't always on Rudy's mind. That's gettable.

If we had Ayton and Bridges, I don't think we would be better. We could be saying can't pay Mitchell the max because he is a negative on defensive end or something. %90 of max players have serious limitations and roster building is hard because you have to build against the limitations while trying to elevate the team.

Offensively, Rudy can't be your only rim pressure. Mitchell gets there but he hasn't been always great around the rim and is inconsistent. No-one else on the roster got into the paint either. If we had one more guy who could attack the rim somewhat effectively, I think we would keep teams guessing a lot more.

This was my championship or bust year so I don't expect much going forward. If there isn't some drastic changes around the edges.

Would Ersan at the 4 for a few minutes here and there be any worse. Surely if Niang is struggling, you play Ersan to give you more defense to help Rudy without losing anything in offense.

Taking Gobert off the floor isnt the answer, he's still a better perimeter defender than anyone who comes in. rather just tell him not to help out on D.

Last edited:
All this scapegoating of Gobert when again he goes 41+ minutes in a small ball encounter and once again Snyder elects not to make any adjustments to his one dimensional offensive and defensive schemes. Gobert goes 5-6 from the field and 2-4 from the line in another game where we should of pounded the paint - passes at the rim to Gobert, post ups to Faves who played 5 or 6 minutes again. Alternately you counter with your stretch 5 Ilyasova, who again failed to see the floor when he proved his capabilities the one time he got extended minutes. Nope I’m not buying it, don’t scapegoat our three time DPOY, this falls on the General that refuses to make situational adjustments. Snyder is a one trick pony and a miserable excuse for a playoff coach!

18 of June is the anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. Frenchman simply don't win on that day..

Quin acted like a Captain that just goes down with the ship as it sinks as if there was nothing he could do. Two things. That Quin just couldn’t see. Clippers abused Mitchell and Conley. Neither was healthy enough to stay in front of the guy they were guarding. Which made it impossible for Gobert to stop anything. The sad thing is we didn’t lose because George went off, we lost because we played two injured players and Gobert can’t be everywhere at the same time. Conley shouldn’t have played the fourth, and most of the third. At least Mitchell gave us something on offense. Also having Conley on the court took opportunities away from Clarkson who was nowhere to be seen in the second half. This loss is 100% on Quin.

Quin acted like a Captain that just goes down with the ship as it sinks as if there was nothing he could do. Two things. That Quin just couldn’t see. Clippers abused Mitchell and Conley. Neither was healthy enough to stay in front of the guy they were guarding. Which made it impossible for Gobert to stop anything. The sad thing is we didn’t lose because George went off, we lost because we played two injured players and Gobert can’t be everywhere at the same time. Conley shouldn’t have played the fourth, and most of the third. At least Mitchell gave us something on offense. Also having Conley on the court took opportunities away from Clarkson who was nowhere to be seen in the second half. This loss is 100% on Quin.

"At least Mitchell gave us something"

Yes, a 39/9/9 stat line one leg and had damn near as much rebounds as Rudy.

WHAT IN THE **** DID RUDY GIVE US? He was a liability on both sides of the floor.

If the players weren’t following the adjustments the coaches made, then the coaches should have sat those players and subbed them with guys who would follow their adjustments.

In a game situation with limited personnel and guys who haven’t been playing, maybe that’s easier said than done. But it seems like it should have been worth a shot. Shows you the value of making sure every guy is ready so you can trust them when those options are needed, even just enough to try them for 3 or 4 minutes.

"At least Mitchell gave us something"

Yes, a 39/9/9 stat line one leg and had damn near as much rebounds as Rudy.

WHAT IN THE **** DID RUDY GIVE US? He was a liability on both sides of the floor.
Why the hell are you are you arguing with me for. I never said the jazz should take Mitchell out, just Conley, but having two injured players on the floor really put Gobert in a tough spot. I even said in an earlier post that Gobert should’ve been taken out of the game for a wing player. So shut the **** up!!!