What's new

Just a friendly Reminder 14 and 21 last year became 9 and 27

Qman

Before we all over-over-over-over analyse the 5th and 23rd picks, just a friendly reminder we had 14 and 21 last year and ended up with 9 and 27.

I expect we will not be drafting at 5 and 23.

There will be several trades.

Before we all over-over-over-over analyse the 5th and 23rd picks, just a friendly reminder we had 14 and 21 last year and ended up with 9 and 27.

I expect we will not be drafting at 5 and 23.

There will be several trades.
I agree with this, but I'm not sure that they don't stay at 5 and then look to move back up. I could see the cost of moving up to get either Parker or Wiggins as getting to be too high. I'm worried that Utah is just being used to increase the value of the Cleveland pick. Not sure I see them trading all the way back to 5.

It was easier last year to buy a 1st because the draft was WEAK.
This year there are good prospects up AND down. It would be harder to trade to move up and then buy a 1st. But there might be some takers for the #23 and #35. Only problem I see with that is other teams with multiple picks are also reportedly shopping them. So perhaps more sellers than buyers.

This draft is a different beast entirely, but I do believe Lindsey's first priority all along has been to collect assets then cash them in to get the guy(s) he really wants. My hopes are high, but I'm trying to tamper down expectations (especially with this rumor that came out, I'm now feeling like that will not happen specifically BECAUSE we've heard about it).

Last edited:
It was easier last year to buy a 1st because the draft was WEAK.
This year there are good prospects up AND down. It would be harder to trade to move up and then buy a 1st. But there might be some takers for the #23 and #35. Only problem I see with that is other teams with multiple picks are also reportedly shopping them. So perhaps more sellers than buyers.

This

repped

We are more likely to trade the #23 out then trade it up. I'm definitely intersted to see what DL does with the #35. Hopefully he brought some Spurs magic with him from San Antonio.

This draft is a different beast entirely, but I do believe Lindsey's first priority all along has been to collect assets then cash them in to get the guy(s) he really wants. My hopes are high, but I'm trying to tamper down expectations (especially with this rumor that came out, I'm now feeling like that will NOT happen specifically BECAUSE we've heard about it).
fixed

My gut instinct tells me Lindsey has talked with 29 teams about every scenario imaginable. Dennis has shown he's very, very thorough. Just look at the maneuvering last draft and the sheer number of prospects he has brought in the last two years. Jazz NEVER used to bring in that many. If there is a rock that hasn't been overturned, I dare anyone to find it. Maybe the Yanomani tribe hasn't been visited yet, but that's about it.

However, I think the cost of moving up is going to be too great. If Cleveland or Milwaukee make a mistake and trade away a true franchise player, it's going to cost a GM his job. I see them just too scared of making a career-ending blunder...unless they receive a HUGE windfall in return. Also, moving back from #5 doesn't make much sense. We can argue over who would be the best choice, but with Embiid hurt (cross him off the list), the draft is now looking like the big 2 and then 4-5. Don't think the Jazz want to drop any further than 7th. They'll take their guy at #5 rather than whoever is left from that tier group at 7 or 8.

Lindsey will likely trade out of the #23. He'll try to move up, or if he can't, will trade the pick for a veteran. At #35, definitely a "draft and stash." In fact, I see him perhaps buying another couple of seconds. He was already quoted as saying 1) there would be good players even beyond #60 and 2) second round picks would be available for purchase.