What's new

Kawhi traded to Toronto

I feel bad for Derozan in this situation. Wrong of Toronto to trade him IMO.

I also hate that Derozan being in the West further backlogs Donovan’s All Star spot. I do think Donovan is better than Derozan though, so he should be fine too.

I really think Derozan is fool's gold, and I hate the LMA/Demar fit. I think losing Danny Green really hurts too. It will still help them though, but their ceiling is lower.
I understand your point, and given the current NBA model for spread offence you are absolutely correct, but I like the move. There are advantages in business, in sports and in life to be contrarian. Zag when everyone else is zigging. So in business sell when everyone else is buying, in personal life save when everyone else is selling, and in teh NBA maybe double down on big bodies and mid range game while they are discounted and the other teams are buying up floor spreaders.

Nobody is going to out-Warriors the Warriors. But in a 7-game series can the Warriors throw enough bodies at the Spurs to stop Gasol, Aldridge, Poetl? And if the opponents defense is designed to let you take long range 2's then why not get the guys who are best at shooting long 2's? I don't know if it will work, but it is unique and therefore interesting.

I get this from Toronto-- they had nearly a decade of working with Demar, they knew what they had in him. His value is at an all-time high (to this point), but they simpyl weren't confident that they could prevail with him in the Finals if they make it that far.

On the other hand, they thought they could with Kawhi. They still have the rest of their core intact, their spacing improves, and they get back a top shelf defender.

For the Spurs, ****. If Derozan goes to any other team, I wouldn't care. But him going to the Spurs or the Celtics gives me heartburn. If anyone can make him a superstar, it's those two franchises (along with ours).

Feel absolutely awful for Demar. He deserves a statue in Toronto when all is said and done.

Reactions: MVP
I understand your point, and given the current NBA model for spread offence you are absolutely correct, but I like the move. There are advantages in business, in sports and in life to be contrarian. Zag when everyone else is zigging. So in business sell when everyone else is buying, in personal life save when everyone else is selling, and in teh NBA maybe double down on big bodies and mid range game while they are discounted and the other teams are buying up floor spreaders.

Nobody is going to out-Warriors the Warriors. But in a 7-game series can the Warriors throw enough bodies at the Spurs to stop Gasol, Aldridge, Poetl? And if the opponents defense is designed to let you take long range 2's then why not get the guys who are best at shooting long 2's? I don't know if it will work, but it is unique and therefore interesting.

I think the Spurs will back themselves in being able to help DeRozan extend that shot to the 3pt line.

I disagree. Not every player needs to speak to the media about injuries or conflicts in the organization. In fact, the Spurs were the ones to call him out to the media, and I believe that is what truly pissed him off (as it should).

Regardless, nobody truly knows what was going on behind the scenes. I just don't see why Kawhi (or any NBA player) would just sit out for no reason so I am going to believe he was hurt.

In this scenario I feel Leonard would have done himself a service by speaking up. I am not saying they need to run to the press on every injury. But in this case it was being spread around that he was playing it up/faking it/whatever. So yeah, set the record straight. He chose not to and that's fine. Just felt he missed a chance to truly stand up for himself.

Either way, a solid season will put all that to rest.

What I also don't get is why would the Spurs not wait til the USA basketball practice to showcase Kawhi before trading him?

1) They are not sure he is going
2) They are already more than clear about who the potential suitors are and it is a short list
3) Those who want him but who won't give anything up won't change their mind based upon how he plays. They are simply waiting until he is a FA

Derozan was as loyal as they come, it's a business I get it, but everyone here in Toronto wants blood shed for this trade
They should....it would be like Donovan being here for 8 seasons and been loyal and embracing like he’s been and then trade him for nothing just because you want to reboot. If I’m a fan, I want my franchise to stand by that player since they stood by the franchise and community. I don’t like what they did at all. It makes what the Jazz did with their guys even more admirable. They told Favs not to worry about stats, and they would take care of him because of sacrifices he made, and they did. They took care of their guys, and while yes it’s a business, I truly do believe Dennis Lyndsey and the Jazz organization care about their players as people not products, it’s also why they only draft or sign players that fit here, because they want full investment from both sides.

I used to think Masai Ujiri was a good GM... Not anymore. Stupid asf. The Raptors are coming off of their best season in franchise history. And they fire their coach and trade their best player. Kawhi will leave after next year. This isn't like the PG situation. PG was open-minded about considering all options. Kawhi has people in his ear telling him where he should be and what he should do. He's gonna leave. And Toronto will be left empty handed trying to rebuild

Last edited:
And Toronto will be left empty handed trying to rebuildin

Nonsense. They will have tons of cap space to sign another star if that will be the case. Heck, if they are sure Leonard not staying they will package him and deal him somewhere else. And while Derozan was the best scorer team actually looked better without him. Ball movement, shot selection and defense was all better without DeRozan. Watch them fight Celtics for the best record in the East now.

Woj just said on Sportscenter that "Kawhi has “starting warming” to the idea of coming to Toronto"

SA has some talent locked up now. They are a little light on 3 point shooting. Three starters, Aldridge, Derozan, and Murray, all lack a reliable 3 point shot. Bertrans will help. Derrick White looked very impressive in SL, he'll need to step up too.

Nonsense. They will have tons of cap space to sign another star if that will be the case. Heck, if they are sure Leonard not staying they will package him and deal him somewhere else. And while Derozan was the best scorer team actually looked better without him. Ball movement, shot selection and defense was all better without DeRozan. Watch them fight Celtics for the best record in the East now.

Toronto won't trade Kawhi. They will try to convince him to stay. And he won't. What star are they going to sign to replace Kawhi when he walks that will also be an upgrade from Derozan? They could have challenged Boston by standing pat. Boston wasn't their problem. The mental hurdle of overcoming LeBron was. And LeBron isn't in the east anymore.

You do not know that. Nobody knows.

They didn't trade for him just to trade him away. There's no guarantee that they'll get the offer they are looking for. It would have been easier just to trade Derozan for whatever they really wanted if that was the case. They traded for Kawhi intending to keep him. And I'm like 98% sure Kawhi will indeed walk after next year. The people who have his ear want him in LA.

Nonsense. They will have tons of cap space to sign another star if that will be the case.

Are they a highly sought after destination for free agents?