What's new

KSLSports.com - Damian Lillard To Appear On NBA2K Cover

B

Ben Anderson

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Damian Lillard is the newest cover athlete for the popular NBA2K video game series. The former Weber State and current Portland Trail Blazers guard announced the honor on Twitter.

“Being on the cover of NBA2K is a dream come true,” Lillard said. “I’ve been playing 2K since the Dreamcast days! Hyped to be the #NBA2K21 Current Gen Cover Athlete.”

Lillard is in his eighth NBA season with the Blazers. The five-time All-Star is averaging 28.9 points, 7.8 assists, and 4.3 rebounds for Portland. Lillard the Blazers will be traveling to Orlando to finish the NBA season in July. Portland has the ninth-best record in the West but sit 3.5 games back of the Memphis Grizzlies for the eighth-seed.

Being on the cover of @nba2k is a dream come true. I've been playing 2K since the Dreamcast days! Hyped to be the #NBA2K21 Current Gen Cover Athlete. #YKWTII #DameTime
⌚
1f3ae.png
pic.twitter.com/d1bPKTm0je

— Damian Lillard (@Dame_Lillard) June 30, 2020

In a promotional video, Lillard announced he was assuming the role of cover athlete.

“I decided, it’s me. Everything is game?” Lillard asks in the video. “Nah, everything is Dame.”

The guard has assumed the nickname of ‘Dame Time’ for his clutch performances throughout his career. The game is available for preorder on July 2.

Prior 2K Athletes

Lillard is the first Trail Blazers player to grace the cover of the video game. Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis was the 2k20 cover athlete. In 2019, Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetkounmpo was the face of the game.

Lillard is the first player with strong ties to the state of Utah to appear on the 2k cover. However, former Utah Jazz guard Raul Lopez appeared on the cover of the Spanish release of EA Sports’ NBA Live 2004.

I know everyone in the state is excited about Damian Lillard being the first 2K cover athlete with ties to Utah.

I’m still partial to…

*Looks more closely*

Raul Lopez on NBA Live 2004. pic.twitter.com/DvmGG6jby1

— Ben Anderson (@BensHoops) June 30, 2020

Similarly, former University of Utah quarterback Brian Johnson appeared on the cover of NCAA Football 1o. Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell has strong ties to video game series. Mitchell’s latest signature shoe, the D.O.N. Issue #2 debuted on the 2k video game series. In April, Mitchell competed in a 2k tournament with fellow NBA players after the league was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Related Links

Full story from KSLSports.com...