What's new

Lakers Target Rose - Conley to Detroit?

LoPo

Lakers have interest in Derrick Rose. Rumors say they might trade Kuzma as part of the trade to make it happen.

If Detroit trades Rose, I wonder if they might have interest in Conley as a leader for that young lockerroom.

Conley could be the leader for a team that would include some good young talent (Kuzma, Kennard, Doumbouya, maybe Wood too).

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

At 30+ million for the season?
I think Detroit might be interested in something like Snell ($12 million expiring) for Conley. Conley really would finish out a young team nicely. If Blake Griffin can be healthy and they re-sign Wood, they could be relevant in a hurry.

PG Conley
SG Kennard
SF Kuzma
PF Griffin
C Wood
Doumbouya as a SF/PF option

why would Detroit wanna get a player who's not much better than Rose but significantly overpaid...

For our needs, I agree. For a team that has lacked a floor general and leader for years, he has value.

not "for years". in one season he'll either launch the ring chasing mode and sign with a contender for vet min, or go to whoever that offers him the biggest contract. Then he'll again, you know, take his time "learning the new system and adjust to his new role"

They could do that too, but they desperately need a leader. If they do draft a PG, they would be wise to have a mentor like Conley.

we would've been wise to keep Rose and have him come off the bench and mentor Donovan, as opposed to, you know, gutting half of your team for a player who isn't that much better but paid 30mil a year.

It's good to know that Rose have actually won the MVP, all-star, all-NBA, won the conference in the regular season in the past. that is who you call an EXPERIENCED Vet, as opposed to some guy who's never won anything yet just happen to be "around" for long enough, like the state of this current franchise.

But everyone know Rose is such a BAD IDEA because he is rumored to not wanting to play in Utah and have missed about 30%-40% of the game due to injury/rest.

Oh, wait...

we would've been wise to keep Rose and have him come off the bench and mentor Donovan, as opposed to, you know, gutting half of your team for a player who isn't that much better but paid 30mil a year.

It's good to know that Rose have actually won the MVP, all-star, all-NBA, won the conference in the regular season in the past. that is who you call an EXPERIENCED Vet, as opposed to some guy who's never won anything yet just happen to be "around" for long enough, like the state of this current franchise.

But everyone know Rose is such a BAD IDEA because he is rumored to not wanting to play in Utah and have missed about 30%-40% of the game due to injury/rest.

Oh, wait...
We are on the same page on Conley. It was a terrible deal. I'm looking for deals where the other teams might want Conley. Detroit
makes sense.

At 30+ million for the season?
They might not be able to reach the salary floor with good salary which would mean it wouldn't make a difference.

Considering the Wood situation, I'm not sure that's the case. In either case, Detroit has tons of cap and not a lot to spend it on. I need to do more research on this particular angle but it doesn't strike me as absurd.

How ****ed up would it be to dump a bunch of Conley's salary on Detroit in order to open up space to sign Wood with? That would be savage.

Give me wood or give me

Well something else I guess.

Oh, wait...
I mean there was the whole rape thing... guessing that was a bigger deal.

I can see gambling on Griffin for Conley. Snell is just bad though, I'd rather give the minutes to Oni.
The point is saving $22 million, not that Snell is some great player. Conley didn’t meaningfully move the needle for the Jazz when he was healthy, so just take the savings and use the money elsewhere.

How ****ed up would it be to dump a bunch of Conley's salary on Detroit in order to open up space to sign Wood with? That would be savage.
I would want it to be part of the deal or no dice. Unless we had a good unrestricted FA with a pen in hand I wouldn't just salary dump Conley like this.

One thing that kind of made my ears perk up in a pod today was the reminder that the Pistons owner likes to make the playoffs... so if he thought a conley deal would help him get to the playoffs this year he'd likely be happy with it even if it was the 8 seed. Not saying they'd give up anything meaningful for Mike but if its a matter of using their space on him I think they'd be okay with that.

I also think there is a 50/50 chance JC bounces. I do not think he was part of the long term plan when we acquired him... then he ended up fitting in and playing well and thinking might have changed. If JC gets a MLE deal from the Lakers I think we'd have to go 30%+ higher to beat it and I'm not sure we'd do that. I don't think a cap space team rolls out a 12-13M per year deal for him but it also wouldn't be crazy.

So if JC bounces then Mike becomes pretty valuable for us (I'd bring him off the bench). I'd still be looking for what we could get for him, but a Mike deal becomes harder if JC takes off.