What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Markkanen gave an interview to Finnish broadcasting company YLE. Here are some key points:

He said he is getting along with others really well and enjoying everyones company, especially Sexton.

He seems to be fond of the city, and is about to move in to his own house (currently still living in hotel but apparently has found a place).

He feels like he has lots of areas he needs to develop in, and doesnt feel he has shown his best yet.

They also interviewed Hardy, who felt like Lauri is much further in his development than Lauri seems to think, and is also much more integral part of his plans than we have seen.
Very good mood Lauri in that interview and article. Btw, original source: https://yle.fi/urheilu/74-20003649 if someone wants to google translate.

It's nice to read everything is going well for Markkanens' family. Also, It seems to me that Hardy gave more appraisals for Lauri in YLE interview than he has typically done in for example post game interviews. It clear that Lauri is one of key and central pieces for plans now, and also in a future.

Risk of Lauri being traded again seems to me now minuscule to non-existent currently. Great.

^ if my translation is correct he said he was shocked because he just bought a house in Cleveland and about to start season 2 then they traded him.

Also said they eat alot together and it's fun and they cheer each other in practice and in the locker room unlike last season.
That's what it said. I was a bit surprised to read the comment that everyone are cheering each others which apparently didn't happen in Lauri's previous year with the Cavs. I was under the impression that they had great team spirit in Cleveland...

Last edited:
That's what it said. I was a bit surprised to read the comment that everyone are chearing each others which apparently didn't happen in Lauri's previous year with the Cavs. I was under the impression that they had great team spirit in Cleveland...
I think that comment might refer to Jazz last season. In Cavs the team spirit indeed seemed to be terrific as well.

I think that comment might refer to Jazz last season. In Cavs the team spirit indeed seemed to be terrific as well.

"Pelaajat kannustavat toisiaan harjoituksissa ja taputtavat kuuluvasti. Myös pukukopissa kaikki puhaltavat yhteen hiileen toisin kuin viime kaudella."

Yep. While the text in that sentence doesn't point directly to whom or what team's last season, the context of article gives that away.

"Pelaajat kannustavat toisiaan harjoituksissa ja taputtavat kuuluvasti. Myös pukukopissa kaikki puhaltavat yhteen hiileen toisin kuin viime kaudella."

Yep. While the text in that sentence doesn't point directly to whom or what team's last season, the context of article gives that away.
I guess this caught me off-guard bc Lauri seems to be relatively careful with his statements and I kinda find it strange for Lauri to not being cautious when commenting on a situation where he wasn't present. Then again, the Jazz locker room issues apparently were no secret. Regardless, the way it was written leaves a lot of room for interpretations.

I guess this caught me off-guard bc Lauri seems to be relatively careful with his statements and I kinda find it strange for Lauri to not being cautious when commenting on a situation where he wasn't present. Then again, the Jazz locker room issues apparently were no secret. Regardless, the way it was written leaves a lot of room for interpretations.
Text is few lines paragraph between direct quotations of what Lauri said, written by editor of the article. The paragraph apparently contain something what Lauri said during the interview, but what wasn't quoted word-by-word in the article.

Anyway, it is clear that if there was any locker room "issues" within Jazz (or Cavs for that matter) last season, Lauri is surely aware of such things by now. Then when watching their current joy on and off the court, almost anything else would feel and look like having issues. Lol.

We can interpret that how we want, but it doesn't change that uplifting overall message in the article. Certainly this isn't reason for any kind drama.

Text is few lines paragraph between direct quotations of what Lauri said, written by editor of the article. The paragraph apparently contain something what Lauri said during the interview, but what wasn't quoted word-by-word in the article.

Anyway, it is clear that if there was any locker room "issues" within Jazz (or Cavs for that matter) last season, Lauri is surely aware of such things by now. Then when watching their current joy on and off the court, almost anything else would feel and look like having issues. Lol.

We can interpret that how we want, but it doesn't change that uplifting overall message in the article. Certainly this isn't reason for any kind drama.
Lauri seems like a low drama kind of guy. Which is refreshing after the past couple of seasons. There was locker room tension, of course, but it seemed after the COVID issues things started to become untenable.

Yeah... but what could have been if we actually got ... The Untouchables?