What's new

LDS Church Supports Gay Marriage

BabyPeterzz

Contributor

My testimony:

So look who finally comes around after destroying countless families and lives of LGBTQIA+ people for decades.

Looks like us liberals were right about your doctrine. Does that make us prophets?

I hope LDS folks finally realize Jesus is working through us and not your church leadership.

We can forgive you. We’re waiting for you with lovingly open arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My testimony:

So look who finally comes around after destroying countless families and lives of LGBTQIA+ people for decades.

Looks like us liberals were right about your doctrine. Does that make us prophets?

I hope LDS folks finally realize Jesus is working through us and not your church leadership.

We can forgive you. We’re waiting for you with lovingly open arms.

Translation:

"Ha ha you suckers, you all suck and were wrong all along and **** you and your "religion". Jesus hates you and loves us.

And we forgive you and want to give you a hug."

Strange shift of tone there.

Here is the press release from the Church if anyone is interested. Not exactly a huge doctrinal shift, in fact no doctrinal shift at all, more of a societal capitulation imo. But a pretty stark contrast to the past actions for sure.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement on Tuesday, November 15, 2022.

The doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints related to marriage between a man and a woman is well known and will remain unchanged.

We are grateful for the continuing efforts of those who work to ensure the Respect for Marriage Act includes appropriate religious freedom protections while respecting the law and preserving the rights of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters.

We believe this approach is the way forward. As we work together to preserve the principles and practices of religious freedom together with the rights of LGBTQ individuals, much can be accomplished to heal relationships and foster greater understanding.

Translation:

"Ha ha you suckers, you all suck and were wrong all along and **** you and your "religion". Jesus hates you and loves us.

And we forgive you and want to give you a hug."

Strange shift of tone there.

Yes, I’m obviously being a bit of a ****. But frankly I’m tired of waiting for the LDS Church to stop hurting people. Tired of screaming it my whole life. So yes, I’m a bit cranky.

I’m not laughing, I’m relieved. I don’t think asking for an apology is not out of the question. I want to be able to forgive and move on. That hug is waiting. Even though the Church still has a lot of work to do to make up for what they’ve done.

Jesus loves us all, right? I just have issue with those that claim to speak for him while oppressing those he loved.

Last edited:
Here is the press release from the Church if anyone is interested. Not exactly a huge doctrinal shift, in fact no doctrinal shift at all, more of a societal capitulation imo. But a pretty stark contrast to the past actions for sure.

Yes, it’s not really inclusive, but it’s a start. They had to preserve their political power while giving up a bit of hate.

Congrats?

My testimony:

They're supporting a law that explicitly gives them permission to discriminate against gay people. I do not expect them to stop, or even slow down, such discrimination. It matters not at all to me, though.

They're supporting a law that explicitly gives them permission to discriminate against gay people. I do not expect them to stop, or even slow down, such discrimination. It matters not at all to me, though.

I honestly have no issue if they choose to discriminate against people within their church. You do you, I guess.

But they got behind legal recourse for those that want to get married and the benefits that come with it. That’s a big shift from Prop 8.

I’m straight. But this helps many of my friends and family members. It matters to many.

I honestly have no issue if they choose to discriminate against people within their church. You do you, I guess.

But they got behind legal recourse for those that want to get married and the benefits that come with it. That’s a big shift from Prop 8.

I’m straight. But this helps many of my friends and family members. It matters to many.

Actually one brow said “it matters not at all to me” in the post you quoted.

I have an issue if they choose to discriminate against people within their church. That hurts so many families in the church and i think that sucks.

Its cool that the legislation passed and that the church wanted it to pass but the reason the church wanted it to pass is a bad reason. They wanted it to pass for selfish reasons….. wanting to retain the ability to hate those who are a part of their church basically and i think that sucks.

Having said that i think the church is mostly good and is a net positive and im glad it exists. Im not a believer so i “dropped out” of church but many in my family are faithful memebers and are amazing good compassionate kind hearted people. I love my amazing family and had the best childhood in part due to the church and the community of love and fellowship that came with it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

If the LDS Church actually changes how it treats Homosexual people, that would be a great thing. I'm an outsider, but I don't see that coming out of this response.

Actually one brow said “it matters not at all to me” in the post you quoted.

I have an issue if they choose to discriminate against people within their church. That hurts so many families in the church and i think that sucks.

Its cool that the legislation passed and that the church wanted it to pass but the reason the church wanted it to pass is a bad reason. They wanted it to pass for selfish reasons….. wanting to retain the ability to hate those who are a part of their church basically and i think that sucks.

Having said that i think the church is mostly good and is a net positive and im glad it exists. Im not a believer so i “dropped out” of church but many in my family are faithful memebers and are amazing good compassionate kind hearted people. I love my amazing family and had the best childhood in part due to the church and the community of love and fellowship that came with it.

I agree with most of this. I think the word "hate" is a bit strong in this context, as, apart from some individuals, I do not believe there is a lot of hate in regards to LGBTQ people. You can argue that any level of intolerance = hate, but I would disagree in some cases and depending on context. We are a part of a growing group of parents of LGBTQ children, and in talking with other parents and people in the church with no ties to the LGBTQ community at all, I think there is more of a hesitancy and misunderstanding than outright hate. I see it in some people. My BIL, whom I have referenced before, is one I would attribute the term "hate" to, with a very strong "not in my household" attitude. He even started shunning our daughter when she came out, avoiding her at gatherings and purposely not inviting her to family activities, but in my experience he is in the minority for that strong of a negative attitude towards it. Most people we talk to are somewhere between confused -- and yes even a bit frightened as they have no frame of reference -- and sympathetic, if not fully outright supportive. Some are supportive as well, of course, but again, that is in the minority. It is really like a bell curve, when I think about it. A small faction on one end, endlessly hateful and intolerant, and a small faction on the other, fully embracing and supporting, and everyone else, the majority, in between. Although I think for the most part it skews more to the tolerant end, rather than the intolerant.

Now I could be completely wrong, this is just based on our experience as we have dealt with the fall-out, so to speak, of our daughter coming out nearly 5 years ago now, and in talking to a lot of people both with, and without, any ties to the community.

The church believes it is doctrinally wrong, so it will never fully accept the lifestyle as "ok". Their stance is still that same-sex relations are sinful, and that will likely never change. But they are becoming marginally more accepting, imo. Yes this bill allows them to maintain their doctrinal outlook, which to some is very important, and others will use as an excuse to marginalize or outright discriminate against others. I think what the church is looking for in this bill is not the right to discriminate, but rather the right to not be forced to accept something they view as doctrinally wrong. They want the protection from being forced legally to not just accept these relationships, but to fully legitimize them against their doctrines. I think that is an important distinction, as freedom of religion is also a founding principle of our country. And though we may disagree with it, I view it somewhat similarly to free speech. The religion can believe what it wants and allow in the members it wants, and allow those members to progress in whatever doctrine or rituals they find important, but they have to be able to operate with minimal government intervention, even if we disagree with that. The right to belief is as important as the right to speech, imo. In fact you could argue that belief and expressing that belief is just another form of free speech. It is a fine line to walk, that is for sure. I am not sure there is an answer that will ever satisfy everyone.

I agree with most of this. I think the word "hate" is a bit strong in this context, as, apart from some individuals, I do not believe there is a lot of hate in regards to LGBTQ people. You can argue that any level of intolerance = hate, but I would disagree in some cases and depending on context. We are a part of a growing group of parents of LGBTQ children, and in talking with other parents and people in the church with no ties to the LGBTQ community at all, I think there is more of a hesitancy and misunderstanding than outright hate. I see it in some people. My BIL, whom I have referenced before, is one I would attribute the term "hate" to, with a very strong "not in my household" attitude. He even started shunning our daughter when she came out, avoiding her at gatherings and purposely not inviting her to family activities, but in my experience he is in the minority for that strong of a negative attitude towards it. Most people we talk to are somewhere between confused -- and yes even a bit frightened as they have no frame of reference -- and sympathetic, if not fully outright supportive. Some are supportive as well, of course, but again, that is in the minority. It is really like a bell curve, when I think about it. A small faction on one end, endlessly hateful and intolerant, and a small faction on the other, fully embracing and supporting, and everyone else, the majority, in between. Although I think for the most part it skews more to the tolerant end, rather than the intolerant.

Now I could be completely wrong, this is just based on our experience as we have dealt with the fall-out, so to speak, of our daughter coming out nearly 5 years ago now, and in talking to a lot of people both with, and without, any ties to the community.

The church believes it is doctrinally wrong, so it will never fully accept the lifestyle as "ok". Their stance is still that same-sex relations are sinful, and that will likely never change. But they are becoming marginally more accepting, imo. Yes this bill allows them to maintain their doctrinal outlook, which to some is very important, and others will use as an excuse to marginalize or outright discriminate against others. I think what the church is looking for in this bill is not the right to discriminate, but rather the right to not be forced to accept something they view as doctrinally wrong. They want the protection from being forced legally to not just accept these relationships, but to fully legitimize them against their doctrines. I think that is an important distinction, as freedom of religion is also a founding principle of our country. And though we may disagree with it, I view it somewhat similarly to free speech. The religion can believe what it wants and allow in the members it wants, and allow those members to progress in whatever doctrine or rituals they find important, but they have to be able to operate with minimal government intervention, even if we disagree with that. The right to belief is as important as the right to speech, imo. In fact you could argue that belief and expressing that belief is just another form of free speech. It is a fine line to walk, that is for sure. I am not sure there is an answer that will ever satisfy everyone.

Yes you are right. I shouldn’t have used the word hate. I agree with you that is inaccurate for the vast majority of LDS

When the Mormon Church is woke, then woke has lost all meaning.

As it should be. As one of the most socially liberal people you're likely to meet, I always hated the term woke. It was just BEGGING to be abused (look what it was wearing!) and, sure enough, that's what happened.

Is this a transactional move so that the church protects its temple ceremonies from the gays?

Or is this a slight change in view on “the gays?” I know that the doctrine forbidding gay marriage remains the same. But it honestly seems like this could be a pretty significant change from the same church just 14 years ago helped pass prop 8 in CA.

This is what anti-queer policy and language brings. You may not engage, but the institutions you choose to associate with and fund add to the fire.

Read the comment section in the article, if you dare.

Wake the **** up.

Pretty close to home, this one.

So sad. I’m reminded that it was just a year or so ago when Holland spoke at BYU, angry over Matt Easton’s speech, and talked about “musket fire.” Obviously, I don’t think he meant for this to happen nor was this talk probably the sole reason for this disturbed person to commit such a horrible act. But it’s a reminder to me that words and attitudes have consequences. Leaders need to refrain from more “counterfeit marriages” and “musket fire” and “religious persecution” talk.

The LGBT hate growing up in the church was just disgusting. I remember clearly fundraising done to help pass prop 8. I remember some pretty hateful talks and testimonies. I just don’t know how anyone LGBT could grow up in the church and not suffer mentally and emotionally from it.

I really wish the church would completely change its policy towards LGBTs. I don’t believe the current hateful and divisive policy comes from god nor do I think it’s doing good for anybody.

Last edited:
I heard that he's a Deseret Nationalist. Which is apparently a thing.
#deznat actually is a huge thing. You haven’t heard of it? They’re (mormon) Christian nationalists. They consistent of normal members, politicians (Rep Trevor Lee and Sen John Johnson), and prominent members (Natalie Cline). They’ve united seamlessly with Trumpists and Trumpism as their enemies are the same. They use a lot of Cold War rhetoric spewed by John Birch supporting leaders like Reuben Clark, Cleon Skousen, and Ezra Taft. Especially Ezra Taft. Replace Benson’s paranoid JBS inspired rantings against the Civil Rights Movement and blacks with LGBTs and you have today’s deznat rhetoric.

He won his election and is now in the LDS legislature:

Cost this guy his job:

Seamlessly with Trump. The guy standing next to Roger Stone lost his primary but he still runs a podcast and participates a lot in Utah politics. Stone campaigned for him. This picture was taken at Thanksgiving point earlier this year.
FA879690-BB35-461C-A9E6-DF7898FE2265.jpeg

Last edited:
I heard that he's a Deseret Nationalist. Which is apparently a thing.
Eric Moutsos is another one. Read the caption here. He was terminated from his job at the SLPD for refusing to work a gay pride parade. Ever since then he’s dedicated his life to being a Deznat troll.
41FC6938-F912-4D74-9085-010647D06F83.jpeg

State school board Natalie Cline and Greg Smith (city councilman of Ogden I think?). Deznat is huge but I suspect a lot of the population is so used to this type of rhetoric that they don’t notice it. Just read the lyrics of hymn 246, “Onward Christian Soldiers” and see how easily that could be used to incite hate and violence.

What do you think this does to a population that believes its leaders and church are the only true ones in the world while they’re told that LGBTs are sick, perverted, and evil? It might not lead to night club shootings but I fail to see how this helps anything. Even members are turning against each other. Here in this, the seminary class tries to make LGBTs feel comfortable and the LDS state board member puts them on blast on her social media platform that reaches thousands. In the past, when Cline has put schools on blast, websites crash after so many emails, phone calls, and death threats are made.

How does this help anything?

B38A0C5E-B473-43D1-B9FE-F61AF12B7EDC.jpeg

Last edited: