What's new

Legal Pot

None of the families of fallen officers complained about the crosses to memorialize their loved ones.

I remeber there was a case where a Jewish officer has a cross put up. It may have been a different case than the one you mean.

I remeber there was a case where a Jewish officer has a cross put up. It may have been a different case than the one you mean.

I have seen stars of david instead of crosses. I am perfectly fine with it.

Is your assertation the some of the officers who were slain non christian? Link?

Edit: As for the Muslim question. If the officer was a Muslim then i would be fine with it. We are honoring that person and Muslim would be a big part of who he was.

Going back over the articles, it seems the troopers families were not consulted on their preferred symbol before a cross was erected. so, whether they were Christian or not, it was an after-the-fact issue.

Totally agreed. If nobody complained, this should have been a non issue. If someone complains, then take appropriate action at that time.

This completely ignores that complaining, in the US, often means persecution. Every single plaintiff in these cases receives death threats.

I'm for the legalization of pot, or at the very least, its decriminalization (e.g., reduces and reclassifies the penalties). I see the drug war as a waste of money and a losing effort, which requires some radical rethinking about how we approach this issue. Pot is 'relatively' harmless compared to other drugs and is consumed by large quantities of Americans, although most I would guess, consume it over the short term (e.g., college) and don't turn it into a long-term habit. Pot is mostly a phase in life and not a lifestyle, at least that's how it seems to me.

At the same time, turning pot possession into a crime is dumb. For example, my nephew, who was Freshman in college, was arrested for pot possession in Arizona, where it is a felony. The felony arrest remains on his record, and has on at least two occasions kept him from getting a job after his potential employers did a back ground check and found it on his record. Note he wasn't convicted, just arrested, and that was enough. A high percentage of high school kids and college students experiment with pot, most go on to live productive, reasonably law abiding lives. (Hell, when I was in HS in the 70s it was a rare kid who didn't smoke pot.) This obsession with 'zero tolerance' for something are relatively harmless as pot (and probably significantly less harmless than alcohol) is, in my opinion, ill conceived. As a society, we should stop wasting our time and money on a losing battle to stamp out drugs and find another way deal with it, especially when it comes to marijuana.

More than anything Madonna has ever said?

Never trust a lying pretend virgin.

Also it is not complicated. Give them a symbol bassed on their religion (or lack their of) and call id a day. The state would not be pushing religion on the people.

If that is the tactic you want to use than why are they using crosses for Mormons? Why not Angels?

If the cross is on provate property, I agree with you. How would you feel about the government putting up crescents on public land to mourn dead officers, particularly when many of those officers were not Muslim?

Read my posts and you will already know the answer. I would not care, cause im not so easily offended.

Well, you can't print your own money, or nay of dozens of other things. In fact, the Constitution was a strengthening of federal power, compared to the Ariticles of Confederation, because just leting states do what they wanted wasn't working.

Interesting.
So a group of private bankers can print there own money, but I can not? Understood.
I agree on the Articles of Confederation, but "Federalism" has always worked.
Give me one reason why letting states do what they want was such a problem?

Also, the Constitution was a guaranteed limiting of federal power between the 3 branches of government, and Congress's elected representatives.

Interesting.
So a group of private bankers can print there own money, but I can not? Understood.

Technically, as long as you don't pass it off as US currency, you probably can. I should have been more specific, e.g., "You can't print off your own US dollars".

I agree on the Articles of Confederation, but "Federalism" has always worked.
Give me one reason why letting states do what they want was such a problem?

Under the Articles of Confederation? RTHB.

Technically, as long as you don't pass it off as US currency, you probably can. I should have been more specific, e.g., "You can't print off your own US dollars".

This is true.
Only private bankers disguised as a federal entity can pass it off as legal tender.
You still never addressed what is wrong with Federalism.

I'm not on the web enough to know what the hell this means.