What's new

Let’s say the Jazz advance to the 2nd round and take Houston 7 games...

I will wait to see how the playoffs go before I talk about what I think the Jazz should do in free agency.

The Jazz are legitimate contenders right now. We may be the 5 seed but I fully believe we are a top 3 western conference team when fully healthy and capable of beating anyone in a 7 game series. The statistics fully support that assessment. The only two teams that I wouldn't consider us favorites against in these playoffs are Houston and Golden State. In my mind we are favorites against anyone else. And we're capable of beating Houston and/or Golden St too if we get hot and things go our way.

We are contenders right now. We are 1 or 2 pieces from being favorites, like Houston/Golden St are right now, in the future.

We could get Kuzma by agreeing to take Deng's contract from the Lakers. LA is looking to add max free agents this season and Deng's contract is the major obstacle in their way. Kuzma along with DM and Rudy will be a formidable big 3 in the future.

Kuzma sucks...

We could get Kuzma by agreeing to take Deng's contract from the Lakers. LA is looking to add max free agents this season and Deng's contract is the major obstacle in their way. Kuzma along with DM and Rudy will be a formidable big 3 in the future.
No way in hell would the Lakers do that.

Assuming that happened, then that would be the game plan. Jazz would pretty much be contenders with only minor tweaks to do. Let player improvement run it's course and call it good. I do agree with an earlier post about needing to get something planned for Ingles eventual slow down, but there's time for that through either the draft or trade. You just have to take the ball as it comes.

Re-sign Favors, but get a PF who can shoot. Crowder is like Booker. He provides toughness, but often hurts the Jazz with his poor shooting. Will Quin and Johnnie Bryant be able to work some off-season magic with him?

Crowder probably rushing his shots a bit, but just a little more practice and off-season work with the team will do wonders for him

The TLDR is I think Aaron Gordon could be The Piece. I think he has another jump in him.

He'd have jack **** to play for for the first time, in addition to the the best development staff, teammates, culture, coach, and fans in the league. He'd be the jack-of-all trades and de facto 2nd option on a team that he could provide spacing for and can reciprocally provide spacing for him as he'd nominally be the 4, but playing alongside one to two others that can seamlessly switch. He'd seamlessly fit into the culture and the philosophy from day one.

Even if he didn't develop much further, his athleticism would amplify the terror that this team brings wherever it goes.

I don't know what it would take, but I somehow feel like this is in the realm of possibility.

Not for what $$$ he wants, esp if he can't shoot

Crowder probably rushing his shots a bit, but just a little more practice and off-season work with the team will do wonders for him

I think The Jazz picking up a guy who can come off the bench and hit open shots would do wonders.

I love some of the things Crowder does - high volume shooting is not one of them.

I think Utah's primary goal is to keep who they have currently within reason. Say ATL gives Favors as 20m/year type of deal. Do we match that?

But yeah, I think with our core pretty much set, Utah's goals become as follows:

1. Keep who we have with reasonable contracts. Chemistry is a huge part of why the Jazz are who they are.
2. Focus on internal development. Primary targets being getting Thabo ready to go, Jae to ease up on his shot selection, and getting Exum to make smarter decisions. With how our player development program is, this is easily doable.
3. Focus on FAs that express interest in coming here. As I mentioned, chemistry is a large part of our success. Of course, if a good trade presents itself, you do it. Otherwise, let's just keep the core intact, draft well, and all that stuff. If a big FA wants to come to Utah to compete, we'll get it done. If not, then no worries.
4. Keep our coaching staff intact as much as possible. Igor, Johnnie, and Alex have been huge for us. If Igor goes, I will understand and wish him well. But Utah would have to find a replacement for him. Johnnie deserves a ******* raise for his work with Donovan.

Pretty much how I see it.