What's new

Let's just assume Trey Burke has figured this NBA thing out...

seattlejazzfan

It's just two pre-season games in - small sample size, probably mostly meaningless sample size, so let's keep all this perspective - but it's fun to speculate.

Having said all that, while I've been down on Burke and am still very skeptical - as well as he's played, he is still small, lacks quickness, hasn't ever shot the ball consistently over any long stretches - the fact is, he was a big time player in college, the number 9 overall draft pick, some thought he was the best player in the draft last year, it wouldn't be all that far fetched for him to become a very good PG in the NBA.

So again, let's assume for a minute he is the PG of the future the Jazz thought they drafted last year...

Did the Jazz just draft a back up PG in their supposed tank year with the 5th overall pick? I think we all mostly agree and it's very clear Exum is a PG in every sense and if he's going to be a good player in the league, it will be at PG. Maybe best case, in a couple years, Burke gets hurt for an extended period, Exum shows what he can do as the starting PG, both have good trade value and they turn a great trade using one of them as bait.

It is way to early to tell what Exum will or won't be. Let alone determine who will be better between him and Burke. I'd be thrilled if they both explode at the PG position. Then the Jazz can keep which ever one they like and shop the other for a needed piece.

Yep, best case, someone gets injured.....?

Hopefully, they both become great players and the Jazz keep them.

Yep, best case, someone gets injured.....?

Hopefully, they both become great players and the Jazz keep them.

Without an injury to give him an opportunity, how does Exum become a great player, playing 10-15 minutes a game backing up Burke?

Without an injury to give him an opportunity, how does Exum become a great player, playing 10-15 minutes a game backing up Burke?

He can do so by producing and improving in the time he gets on the floor and actually be given a hell of a lot more time than 2 preseason games before we try and decide his future. Also if those 2 preseason game are any indication of Coach Q's rotations than Exum will be around 20-25 mpg.

I'm under the impression that if he becomes a great player that helps the team win, he'll play - regardless of what Burke is doing. I think Exum's future is dependent on how much work he puts into being a professional basketball player, not on how many minutes Trey Burke plays. Perhaps I'm naive, idk.

I predict exum will play heavy minutes the next few pre-season games.

Snyder wanted to boost the confidence of our starters. Good thing our starters can outscore their bench but the reality of the real season is different than what we see now.

I'm under the impression that if he becomes a great player that helps the team win, he'll play - regardless of what Burke is doing. I think Exum's future is dependent on how much work he puts into being a professional basketball player, not on how many minutes Trey Burke plays. Perhaps I'm naive, idk.

I'm under the impression that it might be difficult to become a great player when you're only playing 10-15 minutes a game in a back up role. I'm probably the naive one. Maybe you can become great in just 10-15 minutes as a back up.

I'm under the impression that it might be difficult to become a great player when you're only playing 10-15 minutes a game in a back up role. I'm probably the naive one. Maybe you can become great in just 10-15 minutes as a back up.

Two things:

1. he is a rookie, you are extremely premature in any decisions about exum. Time will grow as he does. As it does for all players.

2. he is playing 25 mpg so far, that is as likely to continue as it is for him to drop to 10-15 mpg

Basically your argument is silly to me. Just my opinion.

He can do so by producing and improving in the time he gets on the floor and actually be given a hell of a lot more time than 2 preseason games before we try and decide his future. Also if those 2 preseason game are any indication of Coach Q's rotations than Exum will be around 20-25 mpg.

Perhaps this is the answer. I don't see anything in Exum that makes me think he can be an effective NBA SG at this point, but if Snyder can play him a few minutes here and there and get him to 20-25, that should be enough for him to show what he's capable of.

John Stockton did. He played 2 years behind Green at around those minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things:

1. he is a rookie, you are extremely premature in any decisions about exum

2. he is playing 25 mpg so far, that is as likely to continue as it is for him to drop to 10-15 mpg

Basically your argument is silly to me. Just my opinion.

I don't think you're wrong. It was just a thought I had and wanted the thoughts of others.

John Stockton did. He played 2 years behind Green at around those minutes

Right, but eventually they eventually had to get rid of Green (and fortunately Green was older and on the downside of his career) - which is basically the scenario I described in my original post. Most teams aren't going to carry two all-star caliber pure PGs.

Right, but eventually they eventually had to get rid of Green (and fortunately Green was older and on the downside of his career) - which is basically the scenario I described in my original post. Most teams aren't going to carry two all-star caliber pure PGs.

I agree. But where I disagree with you is that Exum will have plenty of chances to show what he has got. In games, preseason, practices and in next years season and the one after that. Exum is the primary back up at PG. That will earn him around 10-15 mpg. Then add maybe 5-10 MPG when the Jazz play small ball when him and Burke are on the court together...

I see that as a very realistic option. Q has already used a rotation like that in each game so far.

With Exum's size, both can actually play together. Lots of situations call for as many ball handlers as you can muster, and in those situations we won't be giving anything up except an outside threat from the shooting guard position, which is mitigated somewhat by the added creativity and play making abilities.

Even as it stands now, I see them playing a couple minutes together in most games.

With Exum's size, both can actually play together. Lots of situations call for as many ball handlers as you can muster, and in those situations we won't be giving anything up except an outside threat from the shooting guard position, which is mitigated somewhat by the added creativity and play making abilities.

Even as it stands now, I see them playing a couple minutes together in most games.

That's a good point.

If Exum becomes a great player, he won't play 10-15 minutes a game. Nobody is keeping him from practicing basketball. To me, practice is the best way to get better at everything in life.

When Exum learns how to finish around the rim or shoot maybe he can get 25 mpg, until then >20 mpg is what he will probably get.

Wow!! You guys are fickle bunch. One good preseason game and all of the sudden Burke is a star? A few days ago Burke was a guy tabbed as someone who was a blabbering idiot looking like a fool with his pants on the ground, too now being a top pg. ****ing hilarious!! As of now to me, he's still a small un athletic scoring pg that is slow with no hops. With that said I hope he proves me wrong, but a lot of you need to slow your roll.

I still struggle with the fact the OP just haphazardly suggest it's a good thing for Burke to get injured just so Exum can start. Why would anyone want a player to get injured? If Exum can indeed only play PG, but can't beat Burke out with all the chances he'll get then that means Exum is just trade bait or the back-up. The unfounded hate of Trey on this board is astounding some times.