What's new

LHM company layoffs

This is terrible. Yesterday my town had a food bank and the line of cars was about a mile long for the full hour I was on lunch. People are starving all across the country (world) and it's only the beginning.

Life is changing by the second.

Hoping we can all weather it. Save your stimulus check if you can. Idiots are going to run out and buy hot tubs and handbags. Let’s be prudent and put ours in the bank as our emergency cash. It might just pay your mortgage for a couple months.

After the dust settles i can see the US losing 6-8 percent of GDP as a long term structural change. We might do 3-5 percent here, government debt levels will soar and policy choices will be limited for years to come. Brave new world...

Here is your Danny Downer for the day...

...national finacial or food crisis can easily turn into nations arguing, which can turn into wars with bullets.

I guess I missed it...how much did Mike Conley contribute to the keep the hourly employees paid?

I guess I missed it...how much did Mike Conley contribute to the keep the hourly employees paid?
It’s by no means his obligation and Gail is obviously richer than he although they’re still paying around 9,000+ employees and from what I’ve read did give a decent severance to most of those who were laid off. It would be nice if the guy making $30 million could have donated some I agree. Donovan bought lunches for an entire school district for weeks and makes around $5 million this year. Obviously plenty more form endorsements but yeah, it actually has surprised me Mike hasn’t done anything he’s been one of the most charitable NBA players. Again no obligation but it’d be a nice gesture as well.

So he hasn't done anything? You're right that is suprising from a guy touted as a high character and leader and who is in the top 10 of nba salaries this year and top 30 all time career earnings.

It’s by no means his obligation and Gail is obviously richer than he although they’re still paying around 9,000+ employees and from what I’ve read did give a decent severance to most of those who were laid off. It would be nice if the guy making $30 million could have donated some I agree. Donovan bought lunches for an entire school district for weeks and makes around $5 million this year. Obviously plenty more form endorsements but yeah, it actually has surprised me Mike hasn’t done anything he’s been one of the most charitable NBA players. Again no obligation but it’d be a nice gesture as well.

All three of my friends received no severance. Just their walking papers on next steps and Cobra.

This is happening world wide. People living paycheck to paycheck isn't just an American thing.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to everyone, that regardless of your income level, you need to have the discipline to not spend beyond your means. Consumerism, and always needing the best car, phone, house, etc. is the biggest cause of people living paycheck to paycheck.

I have a relative that is probably going to be moving in with my family soon do to her inability to live within her means. Solid career field, but just spends too much. Happy I'm in a position to help, but I hope she learns something from this, as we all should.

In good news you can probably get a smoking good deal on a new car as this unravels. A lot of car companies are offering zero percent financing right now and I suspect better deals are coming.

Hoping we can all weather it. Save your stimulus check if you can. Idiots are going to run out and buy hot tubs and handbags. Let’s be prudent and put ours in the bank as our emergency cash. It might just pay your mortgage for a couple months.

How is $1200 going to pay someone's mortgage for a couple of months? Where do you live? My rent is $1200 a month. I get your point but the people who need it the most are getting less. If this goes until end of summer the world we have know will no longer exist. I hope I am wrong but how are people going to react if months go by and they get desperate and have no home, work or food? Life could get ugly real fast.

I don't think the stimulus check is going to make that big of a difference if they are talking this could go on for a year and a half. Americans are not use to be forced inside and with all the guns in our country there could be some ugly scenarios which may happen. Lets hope someone can come up with a vaccine and get it distributed in time to save lives and restore society back to "normal". Whatever normal is going to be once the virus is control is anyone's guess.

How is $1200 going to pay someone's mortgage for a couple of months? Where do you live? My rent is $1200 a month. I get your point but the people who need it the most are getting less. If this goes until end of summer the world we have know will no longer exist. I hope I am wrong but how are people going to react if months go by and they get desperate and have no home, work or food? Life could get ugly real fast.

I don't think the stimulus check is going to make that big of a difference if they are talking this could go on for a year and a half. Americans are not use to be forced inside and with all the guns in our country there could be some ugly scenarios which may happen. Lets hope someone can come up with a vaccine and get it distributed in time to save lives and restore society back to "normal". Whatever normal is going to be once the virus is control is anyone's guess.

I was admittedly thinking of my situation with a wife and kids in that statement.

Would agree that waiting for a vaccine is going to be a long trek.

It's will help many but only for an extremely short period.

This is why there's talk about the actions being just as bad as the virus. In my town we have started a FB page for those in need and the reactions this far are staggering. Theres literally people already with no food, gas, baby formula, and have 3-4 kids. As you said a month or two then what? This check is not going to matter sooner rather than later.

Honestly the "cure" (flattening the curve due to shutting things down) might be worse than the disease.

If the economy go to total **** there might be way more deaths than the virus causes and the deaths might be way more horrific (families murdered in their own homes by people desperate for food etc)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

.View attachment 9129

Unfortunately for like 99% of the country, a booming economy just means people spend more. It doesn’t matter if someone is making $25,000 a year or $250,000 most people still find a way to live paycheck to paycheck. They just have more stuff to get foreclosed on. The second home, the boat, the 4 wheelers, the snowmobiles, the big truck, the Escalade, and the big house they can longer afford.

You know the real kick in the nuts for me? Since I’m self employed, I’m an officer of my company and ineligible for unemployment. I literally make it work or I’m screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Honestly the "cure" (flattening the curve due to shutting things down) might be worse than the disease.

If the economy go to total **** there might be way more deaths than the virus causes and the deaths might be way more horrific (families murdered in their own homes by people desperate for food etc)

I'm trying to recall which left winger on this board was lecturing me that Trump was actually endorsing death panels when he said this same thing. The fact is, both you and Trump are correct about this. There is a point where the cure is worse than the disease. I guarantee you there is not a member of my family who does not feel that way about the chemotherapy my mom underwent. It may have allowed her to live a little longer, but it absolutely destroyed her in the process. I believe we are currently doing something very similar to our economy.

The economic shutdown can't last too much longer. People won't stand for it. Social distancing to the extent possible will continue, but at some point, people will demand the right to provide for themselves.