What's new

LIES! (Just keep reading)

How about this: if you have two #3's and a 9, would expect two of the three, if not all three to be all-stars?

The book isn't closed on Kanter, Favors and Hayward, but so far all three were busts. The sad thing is, they might be busts so far due to the coach rather than their ability.

What a waste.

Sorry green but this just didn't ring true when i read it so I looked at the top 9 picks going back to the year 2000. Since only Kyrie Irving has been an All star that was picked in the top 9 since 2009 I well leave those years out.
So from 2000 until 2009, 90 players have been picked in the top 9. Only 26 of those players have been selected to be all stars. That means there is only a 29% chance that you can even get an All Star type player picking in the top 9. Those numbers are even worse if you go from 2000-2012.

Only 2 players picked in the 8-9 range in the last 12 years have made the All Star team. Amare and Iguodala.

Last edited:
Sorry green but this just didn't ring true when i read it so I looked at the top 9 picks going back to the year 2000. Since only Kyrie Irving has been an All star that was picked in the top 9 since 2009 I well leave those years out.
So from 2000 until 2009, 90 players have been picked in the top 9. Only 26 of those players have been selected to be all stars. That means there is only a 29% chance that you can even get an All Star type player picking in the top 9. Those numbers are even worse if you go from 2000-2012.

Only 2 players picked in the 7-9 range in the last 12 years have made the All Star team. Amare and Iguodala.

OK. 29% chance you will pick an All Star in the top 9...a ONE IN THREE CHANCE? Haven't the Jazz had THREE picks? Interesting...

OK. 29% chance you will pick an All Star in the top 9...a ONE IN THREE CHANCE? Haven't the Jazz had THREE picks? Interesting...

Sure 3 picks in the last three years. And in those 3 years so far there has been a total of 1 All Star picked in the top nine. So right now that is 1 in 27 picks. But its to early to tell on any group past 2008 who is going to be an all star and who is not. And you said in your post that I quoted that it should be at least 2 All Stars of those 3 picks. Not 1 in 3.

Not sure I understand your question. But of the 26, 12 of them have only been one time all stars

Green is complaining about the Jazz not having an all star with their 3 single digit picks the past few years, using the argument (now) that since all stars occur roughly 1 in 3 picks, at least one of the Jazz core 4 minus Burks should be an all star, completely ignoring the fact that they've been in the league a maximum of 3 years, to which the percentage of draft picks in the top ten over the past dozen years that have made the all star game drops considerably.

Green is complaining about the Jazz not having an all star with their 3 single digit picks the past few years, using the argument (now) that since all stars occur roughly 1 in 3 picks, at least one of the Jazz core 4 minus Burks should be an all star, completely ignoring the fact that they've been in the league a maximum of 3 years, to which the percentage of draft picks in the top ten over the past dozen years that have made the all star game drops considerably.

My argument is that the Jazz have wasted the last three years of development. We have three guys that have the ability to be all-stars, but because of not developing them properly we are going to have to pay them like All-Stars and hope they reach that potential (ala AK).

Had we played them, we might have even MORE talent, as well as a better idea what they are worth.

I'm banging on Ty basically. Al was getting old and probably won't be back. Ty is next in line.

Is the only way to develop a player through baptism by fire? It's the only real part fans see.

Not necessarily...but when the players in front of the developing player aren't better, shouldn't you play the younger player that also has more upside?

That means it's 65% chance at least one of three will become an all star.

Ok green I think I understand your arguement.

But I think that you are not giving the All star arguement enough thought. You think that Favors and Kanter have All Star potential. So do I. But there is no way that they were making an All Star team in the last 3 years and I would even argue if things stay the same on other teams that it isn't going to happen in the next 3 years no matter how many minutes they play.

The reason I say this and I well just go with our 2 #3 picks here is that in order to make an All Star team they are going to have to beat out these players:
Lamarcus Aldridge
David Lee
Dwite Howard
Tim Duncan
Zac Randolph
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol
Blake Griffin
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Love
Serge Ibaka

Thats 9 guys that have made the All Star team before and one that could in Ibaka that all play in the West. Dirk, Pau, and Duncan might drop off that list soon but the others are all under 30.

Just another example is the Guy everyone here on the board thinks would be a sure fire All Star that we missed out on in this year ROY Damion Lillard.
To make an All Star team he is going to have to beat out one of
CP3
Westbrook
Parker
Curry

Until one of them fall off or go to the East he might never see the All Star game.

My point is that we could have some very good players right now that might never be All Stars.

Not necessarily...but when the players in front of the developing player aren't better, shouldn't you play the younger player that also has more upside?

Al is not getting old. He is like 28. That is prime time. Not coming back? Hopefully. But he still has at least three years before you can say he is getting old.

Al is not getting old. He is like 28. That is prime time. Not coming back? Hopefully. But he still has at least three years before you can say he is getting old.

Who said anything about old, or age, or getting older? I never said that. I said Al wasn't better than Favors and Kanter, and if Favors and Kanter are your future, why are playing Al?

Who said anything about old, or age, or getting older? I never said that. I said Al wasn't better than Favors and Kanter, and if Favors and Kanter are your future, why are playing Al?

Dang. I replied to the wrong post and now I can't find it. I guess I have worked too much today. Your original post was good. Al sucks.

...yeah, but he's set in his ways....virtually uncoachable!

I don't know if it's uncoachable so much as that is who he is. He has some physical/mental aversion to defense. He improved passing a bit, but he will never pass like Marc gasol. I think if he had the ability, he would do it, but at this point, what you see is what you get with Jefferson.

I don't know if it's uncoachable so much as that is who he is. He has some physical/mental aversion to defense. He improved passing a bit, but he will never pass like Marc gasol. I think if he had the ability, he would do it, but at this point, what you see is what you get with Jefferson.

This..

I think Al is HIGHLY coachable. Meaning, willing to be coached. I just don't think he's gotz the grey matter.

This..

I think Al is HIGHLY coachable. Meaning, willing to be coached. I just don't think he's gotz the grey matter.

....well, if your unable to improve your game whether it be grey matter, comprehension skills, eye hand coordination, footwork, etc.......you are uncoachable! Explain how a big man with the skills of Jefferson can't comprehend the simple components of a "pick and roll?" I'm not saying he has to run it like Karl Malone did.......but my goodness......at least move to the basket on occasion!