What's new

Locking threads because posts get reported is simply bad policy and bad moderation

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Be better Mods.

Just because a thread is generating reports doesn't mean the thread is bad or that closing it is the solution.

Reminds me of the Navy when they'd "secure" the microwave because someone cooked uncovered soup and didn't clean up after themselves, so now no one can use the microwave.

If posts get reported make a decision if the report is valid or not and if necessary take action against the poster being reported.

The way moderation seems to work around here is that nothing at all gets done until it becomes more of a PITA to ignore complaints than to act and then you overcompensate and punish people severely because you had to be bothered to get off your *** and moderate. Then when a thread is causing moderators to have to pay attention they close the thread and think they did something, which is to say they think they eliminated a source of moderating tasks.

@Nate505 stop being a moderator if you don't want to actually do it.

Be better Mods.

Just because a thread is generating reports doesn't mean the thread is bad or that closing it is the solution.

Reminds me of the Navy when they'd "secure" the microwave because someone cooked uncovered soup and didn't clean up after themselves, so now no one can use the microwave.

If posts get reported make a decision if the report is valid or not and if necessary take action against the poster being reported.

The way moderation seems to work around here is that nothing at all gets done until it becomes more of a PITA to ignore complaints than to act and then you overcompensate and punish people severely because you had to be bothered to get off your *** and moderate. Then when a thread is causing moderators to have to pay attention they close the thread and think they did something, which is to say they think they eliminated a source of moderating tasks.

@Nate505 stop being a moderator if you don't want to actually do it.
opinions-vary-road-house.gif

Last edited:
I made a sincere post about an issue on the site and what I got from a moderator was snarky insult with a laugh from the site owner.

So much for improving the civility of the forum @Jason eh? Ridicule your users making suggestions about your punishment of people who were punished for making this a less civil place.

I'm sure this is some sort of 4D chess that will improve this community and I'm just not getting it because opinions vary.

Go read the thread. It wasn’t going anywhere positive. I get your point but this scenario that you’re highlighting to start this conversation is weak.

Go read the thread. It wasn’t going anywhere positive. I get your point but this scenario that you’re highlighting to start this conversation is weak.
Yeah I mean you're right. That thread should probably have been closed.

I'll, uhh, I'll just... well I'm gonna go post in other threads.

Thanks Jason

Can we address self appointed moderator UtahJazz32 dislike stalking people?

@UtahJazz32 I think my previous question stands. But put another way, what the **** is your problem?

images