• $14-16 million

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • $16-18 million

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • More than $18 million

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

G-O-A-T

There is "no chance" of him exercising his $17 million contract for next season to play in Phoenix.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5266289

He says he deserves a max contract (6 years for $127 million)... and it looks like he even expects to get one.

Oh, what I'd give to listen in on the conversation between him and his agent come late July when his best offer is barely half that :)

Last edited:
There is "no chance" of him exercising his $17 million contract for next season to play in Phoenix.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5266289

He says he deserves a max contract (6 years for $127 million)... and it looks like he even expects to get one.

Oh, what I'd give to listen in on the conversation between him and his agent come late July when his best offer is barely half that :)

Half that? Are you high? He's going to get a max or close to it. He is one of the 4-5 premier FA's available this off season with up to 12 teams that can offer max contracts if they desire. Bosh, Lebron, Wade and Amare are all sure to get max deals. The only thing that may stop Dirk from also getting one is age, and I still think he gets it.

Max contracts are for MVP caliber players... guys who are a notch above everyone else. Amare isn't even the best player on his own team, a team that has never even seen the NBA finals. Considering that his numbers are inflated by the Suns system (he isn't good enough to lead anyone to a championship) and with the salary cap not inflating as in years past (locking him down with a max deal would restrict a team from signing a good supporting cast), only a fool would sign him to a near max deal.

Yeah, I have a feeling he is making a pretty big mistake. Even as a consolidation prize in the FA race, I doubt he gets offered more than the 17mil he is opting out of; probably receiving even less.

I agree, without Nash his numbers won't be as good. I'd prefer Boozer over Amare if I were any team other than the Suns and maybe the Warriors. And Amare totally gave up on the Suns in the 08-09 season before he got injured.

Yeah, I have a feeling he is making a pretty big mistake. Even as a consolidation prize in the FA race, I doubt he gets offered more than the 17mil he is opting out of; probably receiving even less.
But it is only for one year and then who knows what a new CBA will bring. All indications have been that the owners are looking to cut maximum salareis and number of years.
Amare is smart to opt out. Even if he only gets $15M/per, that will still be a $75M-$90M deal.

Boozer over Amare; are you kidding me? Amare dominates Carlos. But I wouldn't sign either to a $90M deal. Both have significant injury histories. My guess is that Amare will end up in New York.

Amare is smart to opt out. Even if he only gets $15M/per, that will still be a $75M-$90M deal.

Boozer over Amare; are you kidding me? Amare dominates Carlos. But I wouldn't sign either to a $90M deal. Both have significant injury histories. My guess is that Amare will end up in New York.
You are probably right about him being smart to lock down a long term deal before the new CBA... but as for dominating Boozer, I don't know about that. IMO, Amare is only a small (a really small) step above Boozer. Both those guys are products of their team systems and both will see their number suffer if they go to new cities. In fact, I don't think either will ever see another all star game if they move to a different team... well, unless one of them lands in NY.

But more years. He's definitely not making a mistake, especially with impending (drastic) changes to the NBA CBA.

Edit: I Should probably read all the posts in the thread.

You mean Amare dominates Millsap, not Boozer. I'd say Amare is a slighty worse defender (I know, right), more explosive offensively, and Boozer is a superior rebounder.

Stoudemire is a much better defender than Boozer.

Stoudemire will get a max deal or close to it. There are too many teams with salary cap space who have been terrible for a while and desperately need some kind of positive results to show their fans. I predict bidding wars for mediocre players....

I'm guessing Amare, especially since he knows his injury history, is more interested in getting a 4-6 year deal NOW rather than a 1 year deal.

IMO, he's more interested in getting years added while he still can, especially if the new CBA cuts down on things. Just imagine what would happen if he ended up having a bad (injury) plagued year this next season! Add into the new CBA... Which may even force a lockout year...

He's making the right move. It may not be ideal, but choosing between the two evils, opting out now is clearly the best option.

But more years. He's definitely not making a mistake, especially with impending (drastic) changes to the NBA CBA.

Edit: I Should probably read all the posts in the thread.

Oops, this is basically what I said. I guess I should read all the posts in the thread before responding. My apologies.