What's new

Lowe & Elhassan on Exum, Neto and the Jazz future

latin jazz

I didn't find a thread on this and I found it quite interesting. On Lowe's podcast they spent like 25 minutes talking about the Jazz. Some points and predictions worth noting:

- The Jazz are still a playoff team despite Exum's injury and people shouldn't be surprised by it. Right now Exum is not a major player in the team (altough they mention his great potential) and we already have capable ballhandlers like Hayward, Hood and Burks.
- Lowe loves Hood. Burks is gonna be huge for us this season.
- Elhassan predicts Neto as a starter by the end of the season. According to him, Neto has good vision and feel for the game but is a bad shooter. He compares him to Rubio.
- They don't like Burke. The Jazz improvement in the second half of the season was in part because Exum's "wasn't Burke". Basically Lowe describes Burke as a chucker, small guy and bad defender who takes away shots and possessions from the Jazz best players. That's also why the lineups with Exum were effective: he just let the best players to have the ball and take shots.
- Lowe contradicts himself a little bit on this later on, pointing out that there wasn't a major drop off in production at the PG spot with Burke on the floor (he seems to be using Locke's tweets).

Overall, a great podcast. They enjoy watching the Jazz and know a lot about the team. You gotta give Lowe some love, he's one the best sport writers out there.

The link:

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-lowe-post-podcast-amin-elhassan-on-dante-exum-and-the-jazz-the-sixers-and-other-intriguing-teams/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Last edited:
... Lowe describes Burke as a chucker, small guy and bad defender who takes away shots and possessions from the Jazz best players.

Amen, Mr. Latin, Lima Llama! Thanks for the link and the summary

PS: like that Lowe started off with a shout out to Utah... talking about this, as he said, 50% because '...the Jazz may top the crazy fan rankings'.

They still consider Utah a playoff team and mention the 7th and 8th seeds.

They also play up Ingles passing ability and how he is a "ball mover but not a ball stopper".

Threw around the question of who starts between Ingles, Hood or Burks. How it is not about who is the best player but what is the best ingredient in the starting 5. What do the Jazz need most with a Gobert, Favors, Hayward and Burke group...

They mention the DWill trade and how that set them up for the future more than anything else.

Plays up the Gobert and Hood picks and how that is "master class in rebuilding a team". How those picks changed the entire trajectory.

Talks about how the players enforce the culture on a team and not the FO or coaches. Mentions Favors by name for enforcing the Jazz culture. Compares the culture of the Jazz in a very favorable light against Philly.

They still consider Utah a playoff team and mention the 7th and 8th seeds.

They also play up Ingles passing ability and how he is a "ball mover but not a ball stopper".

Threw around the question of who starts between Ingles, Hood or Burks. How it is not about who is the best player but what is the best ingredient in the starting 5. What do the Jazz need most with a Gobert, Favors, Hayward and Burke group...

Thanks Stoked. Yeah, Elhassan even uses the now infamous "baking a cake" analogy haha

I like "master class in rebuilding a team" part and how we remained competitive while rebuilding, a difficult task to do.

Just listened to the first 20 minutes... kudos... a great podcast for Utah Jazz fans... for all the points Stoked and latin jazz mentioned...

My favorite quote, while they were talking about Netto or what made Dante effective...

"...not being Trey Burke!" Ouch!!!
Followed up by: "...is the ball in the hands of my best player?" Trey: NO; Everybody else: YES

Think I've heard that somewhere else before...

Listening to the podcast now, love how he called Kanter a dog crap defender and a dog crap player until he proves otherwise

Amin had an explicit reference to "making sure you use the right ingredients when making a cake--- cinnamon, vanilla, not salt or paprika"

#BAKETHATMOTHER****INGCAKE

Either Burke or Neto will take the starting spot and run with it. We dont need a scorer. We need a willing passer, and someone who plays hard on defense.
Trey could wake his *** up, and put it together. Neto already seems like a willing passer. We will be fine.

We have a lot of talent on this team. Get the offense rolling, and get the ball in the hands of Hayward, Hood, and Burks who all can create.

if our playoff hopes were resting on the tiny girlish shoulders of exum we were doomed to begin with.

Amin had an explicit reference to "making sure you use the right ingredients when making a cake--- cinnamon, vanilla, not salt or paprika"

#BAKETHATMOTHER****INGCAKE

In all fairness he was talking about the starting lineup and who should start out of Ingles, Hood and Burks. That is where the ingredients came in. Not actually cake baking as we use it.

I don't see this team ever winning a Championship without Exum making a leap into border-line All-Star level play, but I think we can still make the PO without him.

Has Neto been to visit Stockton yet?

I think he should. They play a pretty similar game.

Starting to sound like Cotton isn't part of this team anymore. Hope he can hook on with somebody before next season starts.....

Starting to sound like Cotton isn't part of this team anymore. Hope he can hook on with somebody before next season starts.....
Especially with the Exum injury, he'll make the team. Probably be on the 12 man even. RR spoke glowingly about him yesterday.

Why...because a couple of talking heads fail to mention his name? You have really thin skin; even thinner than Ronda Burke, Trey's mom.

Trey will start. Cotton and Neto will fight it out for the backup position. I doubt ANYTHING has been decided. Any of those guys could be traded in a package for a veteran at some point. Trey could get demoted and Neto or Cotton could start. The only thing that is certain is that the 3 PG's will have to compete to earn their place on the depth chart and minutes on the court.

I don't see this team ever winning a Championship without Exum making a leap into border-line All-Star level play, but I think we can still make the PO without him.

this is it in a nutshell. Even with this injury we really should make the playoffs. Nearly every player can still improve significantly save maybe Hayward perhaps. It's what Dante could provide in 2, 3, 5 years to a contending team if he becomes the player he could be. If he had exploded this year we might have gotten a higher playoff seed but basically this is the year to make the playoffs and get some experience. Contending won't be for a few years yet. I think Exum is really that X factor that could provide things no other PG that we have will.

+1
Aye, here be the crux of the matter... 2015/2016 will be fine, we'll do well, but Exum won't the needed developmental any experience.
So, do we loose a year and wait, to see if he is the horse who can bring us in... in 2-3 year... now maybe 3-4?
Or do we try a proven, but less potential horse, but better than the current crop, in case the thoroughbred potential doesn't pan out...

Lowe is really high on Hood here. Makes me wonder why he was just throwing him into all sorts of trade scenarios as a toss in before... Like for Lawson and stuff.

Love them talking about ingles. I love watching him play, just cracks me up. He deserves minutes, definitely a useful player