What's new

Magnus Carlsen on the brink of being upset at the World Chess Championships

Game6Conley

Battle of East vs West: 'Putin-backed prodigy' on brink of upset victory for Russia at World Chess Championships

23 NOVEMBER 2016 • 7:26AM
The parallels between chess and politics are striking and many.

From the many battles between British and French grand masters in the early 19th century dovetailing with the Napoleonic Wars to Bobby Fischer taking on - and beating - the Soviets during the Cold War, chess has mirrored global diplomatic crises throughout history.

The current World Chess Championships in New York is one of the most politically-charged in decades, and tensions boiled over earlier this week when Russia's Sergey Karjakin took a huge step towards claiming the title from Magnus Carlsen, the Norwegian champion.

After seven draws in a row, Karjakin, the underdog, defeated Carlsen late on Monday night to take a 4.5 to 3.5 lead with four games remaining.
As the "Battle of East vs West" took a potentially decisive turn, Carlsen apparently stormed away from the table and then also walked out of the press conference without taking questions - and now faces a fine.

https://twitter.com/firusvg/status/801016273547235329?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

“So many reporters wanted to talk to Sergey that Magnus had to wait for him to arrive," an unnamed source told the New York Post. "After a couple of minutes, Magnus threw his hands up, walked out of the press conference and left the building.

“His manager ran after him, because the press conference is obligatory. He’ll be fined some of his earnings for walking out. He’s not used to losing.” Karjakin, who was born in Ukraine and supported the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea, pounced after Carlsen had pressed too hard for the breakthrough win.

The defeat was even harder to take for the Norwegian, 25, as he had been playing white. “It’s much better to play well than to play white,” the Russian, 26, explained afterwards.

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/801256457249296384?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Karjakin, who is known for his ability to hold on for draws, is now the favourite. Carlsen, who also works as a model and counts Hollywood stars such as Liv Tyler among his friends, will now have to take risks to make the ground up in the remaining games. The next game takes place on Wednesday evening.

If Karjakin pulls off the win, he will become the first Russian world chess champion since Vladimir Kramnik in 2007.

Vladimir Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, has been dispatched to New York for moral support and the Kremlin is said to be keeping a close eye on events. A Russian victory would be seen as a “massive p.r. coup” for the Kremlin.

"Back then it was the USSR versus the US," said Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, the Russian head of the World Chess Federation. "And now it's the European Union and the US and their sanctions against Russia."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...est-putin-backed-prodigy-brink-upset-victory/

Wait, how can there be a best of 12 series? Do you mean 13? Because 12 could have a 6-6 tie, or is that a thing in chess?

if it goes to the tiebreaker which is the most likely outcome. They'll play a 4 game rapid chess match and if thats tied they'll play 5 2-game matches of blitz chess and if thats tied the final tiebreaker is 1 Armageddon game.

A game guaranteed to produce a result, because Black has draw odds (that is, for Black, a draw is equal to a victory). To compensate, White has more time on the clock. Common times are six minutes for White and five for Black, or five minutes for White and four for Black. This can also be played with a small increment.[12] This is also known as "time odds" and it is used in various tie breaks for quick tournaments. An example of Armageddon was played by Ian Nepomniachtchi vs Hikaru Nakamura at the 2015 FIDE World Cup.[13]

Where or how can I watch this final match?

I'll post the stream for you

phpmtMSak.gif

Pretty sure I read 7% of Norway watched one of the matches that took 7 hours total.

That was tongue in cheek. I actually like chess. I wouldn't watch a 7hr match, but might watch a speed round or two.
It's similar to the fact that I like baseball, but won't watch much of it unless it's October.
I'll play it given the opportunity though.

The tiebreakers start in an hour. Will try to update this thread. Just read there's a 9 year old in the audience named Christopher Yu, who's poised to become the youngest ever to achieve the rank of master.

Here's a stream that will go live in 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc5xYmkPAHk
It might be in Russian tho, If it is I'll find a better one.

Here's a stream that will go live in 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc5xYmkPAHk
It might be in Russian tho, If it is I'll find a better one.

The only english streams I could find are ones that arent showing it live.

Magnus blew game 2. He had that. He shouldn't have traded queens in the first place. another draw.

masterful defense/turtle from Karjakin after the blunder though.

Magnus wins game 4 too on a beautiful queen sacrifice checkmate. Wins $1MM+ and his 3rd consecutive world chess championship. great stuff.