What's new

Malone disses Jordan

This is like debating who the best quarterbacks are of all time.

MJ played in pratically a different sport than Lebron and some of these current players. Stockton was great in the time he played in. However, the game has changed so much. While I will always love those HOFers from back in the day it would have been interesting to see how different players from different eras match up. Imagine freak shows like Westbrook or Rose in the 80s and 90s? Some of the bigs of yesterday might average 50 pts per game in today's bigless league. A deadeye like Dirk or Curry might be unstoppable 30 years ago. MJ, Karl, and Bird may have destroyed today's pansie soft flopping stars.

The dream team would destroy anyone that tried to step on the floor. This lineup:

Paul
Kobe from 3 years ago
LeBron
Griffin
Howard

would lose by 20 to the dream team.

Which begs the question, how many showboaters can you actually have on one team before they can't coexist together? I think three is pushing the limit, so Stock would be the clear choice here. Might wanna rethink one of the other four as well.. Throw in a Duncan or Bill Russell instead of Malone and Shaq. Or go outside and pick up Bird or Jerry West instead of Lebron or Mike.

Good point. If I have to switch out another big personality I'd probably sacrifice Malone for Duncan. Some good D and very fundamentally sound.

Shaq
Duncan
Lebron
Jordan
Stockton

I think the Dream Team showed that you can have a team of "show boaters" and be okay if all the players are focused on winning. Magic and Michael would keep everyone else in line.

So would Malone, Stockton, Bird, Barkley, Pippen or any of the other Dream Teamers you had on your team. That is, in my opinion, what made the Dream Team so great. They pushed each other. Just go read the stories about their practices and how they never allowed each other to mess around when it was time to handle business.

The dream team would destroy anyone that tried to step on the floor. This lineup:

Paul
Kobe from 3 years ago
LeBron
Griffin
Howard

would lose by 20 to the dream team.

I'm not so sure.

Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Isiah Thomas, Wade, Olajouwan, Paul, Durant...would give a hell of a fight to the Dream Team.

I still have the Dream Team in 6-7 out of 10 but they would challenge them to be sure.

Still take Magic. Best all-time assists per game still is the very best choice? Plus he is a winner. 5 titles. Won over 74% of his playoff games.

Stockton actually averaged more assists per game than Magic in the seasons they both played significant minutes ... Stock's APG average is hurt by his first three years where he did not start and his final years where he was old. There is no question Stockton was higher than Magic in APG.
Note: I am not saying he is a better player than Magic.

1987-88
Stock 14.7 ppg 13.8 apg
Magic 19.6 ppg 11.9 apg

1988-89
Stock 17.1ppg 13.6apg
Magic 22.5ppg 12.8apg

1989-90
Stock 17.2ppg 14.5apg
Magic 22.3ppg 11.5apg

1990-91
Stock 17.2ppg 14.2 apg
Magic 19.4ppg 12.5apg

Stockton also outplayed Magic when they faced in the playoffs ... The Lakers beat the young Jazz in a hardfought 4-3 series (one of the best Lakers teams of all time, by the way). Here is how each player performed head to head:

Magic 18.7ppg

REBOUNDS
Stockton 3.4rpg
Magic 4.4rpg

ASSISTS
Stockton 16.4ppg
Magic 10.3apg

STEALS
Stockton 4.0spg
Magic 1.0spg

BLOCKS
Stockton 0.3bpg
Magic 0.1bpg

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
Stockton 50.5%
Magic 50.0%

TURNOVERS
Stockton 3.7topg
Magic 4.0topg

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
Stockton 4.43
Magic 2.58

You think Malones choice of Pippen was bad......howz about Magic Johnson saying that Isaiah Thomas would be his choice for all time best point guard? I say give Magic a drug test right NOW! Have him pee in a cup and send it off for testing! If Magic can't choose himself, then the pick HAS to be Stockton! If you have Stockton out there with Lebron and Malone, that team is going to shoot 70% without breaking a sweat! Throw in Jabbar and the percentage might climb even higher!

I think the Dream Team showed that you can have a team of "show boaters" and be okay if all the players are focused on winning. Magic and Michael would keep everyone else in line.

Yes, but only in an international competition representing your country. What about an 82 game season? Look at LA... two EXTREME showboaters this year, and one fancy PG. They barely made it into the playoffs

Stockton actually averaged more assists per game than Magic in the seasons they both played significant minutes ... Stock's APG average is hurt by his first three years where he did not start and his final years where he was old. There is no question Stockton was higher than Magic in APG.
Note: I am not saying he is a better player than Magic.

1987-88
Stock 14.7 ppg 13.8 apg
Magic 19.6 ppg 11.9 apg

1988-89
Stock 17.1ppg 13.6apg
Magic 22.5ppg 12.8apg

1989-90
Stock 17.2ppg 14.5apg
Magic 22.3ppg 11.5apg

1990-91
Stock 17.2ppg 14.2 apg
Magic 19.4ppg 12.5apg

Stockton also outplayed Magic when they faced in the playoffs ... The Lakers beat the young Jazz in a hardfought 4-3 series (one of the best Lakers teams of all time, by the way). Here is how each player performed head to head:

Magic 18.7ppg

REBOUNDS
Stockton 3.4rpg
Magic 4.4rpg

ASSISTS
Stockton 16.4ppg
Magic 10.3apg

STEALS
Stockton 4.0spg
Magic 1.0spg

BLOCKS
Stockton 0.3bpg
Magic 0.1bpg

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
Stockton 50.5%
Magic 50.0%

TURNOVERS
Stockton 3.7topg
Magic 4.0topg

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO
Stockton 4.43
Magic 2.58

No argument there. I never said Stockton wasn't special. I just think Magic was better overall.