What's new

Game Thread May 16, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Kings

Added to Calendar: 05-16-21

Logically, the Lakers are a nightmare matchup for the Warriors. They have multiple fantastic defenders at the guard position to use to blitz Curry, LeBron/AD should eat their wings alive, and the Warriors will get absolutely crushed on the boards.

That's logically. In reality when it comes to other teams, whatever outcome screws the Jazz over most tends to be what happens.
Just have to hope curry doesn't go for 40 plus. Which honestly is pretty hard stop

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Actually I think they were worried the Lakers would finish 6th and they were trying to avoid the Lakers. I don't think it had anything to do with their second round opponent

If the Lakers got the 6th seed then they would have played the Clippers in the first round because Denver beating Portland would have moved up to the 3rd seed. So I stand by my comment. Both Denver and the Clippers lost tonight and have the same record. If Denver had won they would have had a better record than the Clippers and would have been the 3rd seed. One needs to ask why Denver did not try harder to win the 3rd seed.

My play-in guess:

LAL > GSW for #7 seed
MEM > SAS for #9 seed
GSW > MEM for #8 seed

Yeah, not groundbreaking and most would vote that way. I'd love for the Spurs to win two in a row but that ain't happening.
That is what I think will happen too. I feel confident that we will beat the warriors

It 100% had to do with their second round opponent. Clippers/Lakers in Round 1 was already mathematically impossible coming into tonight.
I thought if Denver beat the blazers then the Lakers move to 6 and if the clippers beat OKC then they move to 3?

Denver beating the Blazers also would have clinched 3rd for Denver no matter what the Clippers did. Denver had the tiebreaker over the Clippers.
oh I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Maybe they prefer the Mavs to the blazers. I know I would rather play the Mavs than the blazers

Or the warriors or the grizzlies or the spurs

Or the warriors or the grizzlies or the spurs

Of course they are all possible, I was just saying that it could be the Lakers if my scenario happens. I think the Lakers will beat GS and GS will beat the winner of the 9/10 game. However if GS some how manages to beat the Lakers then I believe there is no way the Laker lose against 9/10 so they would be the Jazz opponent.

It is incredibly unrealistic to think the Lakers would prefer a Jazz/Clippers path to the WCF over a Suns/Murray-less Nuggets path.
It is not unrealistic to think that the Lakers would rather play the Jazz over the Suns. Granted I could see the Lakers prefer playing Denver over the Clippers.

Clips are kind of a weenie team this year. Not sure they are better than last year, and they weren't world beaters last year.
Ya I think the jazz beat the clippers if they meet up.
Honestly I think they beat anyone other than a top of their game Lakers team or the nets.

The only teams that scare me in the West are the Lakers and Suns, and hopefully, both of them will be on the opposite side of the bracket.

I'm worried about how we'd score against them, and on the other end CP3 gives Gobert real trouble. I'm not worried at all about being able to score against the Clippers, and Gobert is a bad matchup for them.

Look at the positive. Niang and bogey got their groove back, Conley got rest and looked amazing in the last two games, Donovan is healthier than he has been all season.
Jazz got hit with the injuries in the second half of the season and still got the #1 seed. It was a pretty much wire to wire league leading season.

We set all kinds of records. 3 all stars (4 if you count coach), DPOTY, 6th man of the year and the runner up for 6th man of the year.

Homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs. 31-5 at home. Best home record in the nba.

Award-winning post, m8. Cheers.

Still kinda sucks that the Clippers courageously tanked to our side of the bracket - the Nuggets w/o Murray would've been the easier 2nd round matchup.

But beating the Clippers will probably be more enjoyable, so there's that.

The only teams that scare me in the West are the Lakers and Suns, and hopefully, both of them will be on the opposite side of the bracket.

I'm worried about how we'd score against them, and on the other end CP3 gives Gobert real trouble. I'm not worried at all about being able to score against the Clippers, and Gobert is a bad matchup for them.
The Clips defense, when healthy, has shown us that they are very dangerous (and dirty). I’m not sure what you’re drawing your opinion from.

If the Lakers got the 6th seed then they would have played the Clippers in the first round because Denver beating Portland would have moved up to the 3rd seed. So I stand by my comment. Both Denver and the Clippers lost tonight and have the same record. If Denver had won they would have had a better record than the Clippers and would have been the 3rd seed. One needs to ask why Denver did not try harder to win the 3rd seed.
If they beat Portland, Portland drops to 7 and the Lakers move to 6, which means they play Denver first round. Nobody wants that! Also the real reason the Clippers lost tonight I believe, so as to be in the other side of the bracket from the defending champs. Probably rather play Dallas first round to Portland as well.

The Clips defense, when healthy, has shown us that they are very dangerous (and dirty). I’m not sure what you’re drawing your opinion from.
Well for one, in each of our games against them at full strength over the last two seasons, we have posted elite offensive ratings of 124.8, 117.7, and 115.8.

Maybe they'll step it up in the playoffs. But that sure wasn't the case last year, where their defense in the playoffs last year was terrible.

Maybe they're a different team this season. But their defense was quite a bit worse this year than last - by 4 pts per 100 possessions. Despite the fact that Paul George and Kawhi Leonard each missed a larger proportion of last season than this one.