What's new

Mighty White of Us!

DRIVEWAYBALL

Fesenko, Kirilenko, Okur, Hayward and DWill ... how many NBA teams in the last twenty years have had five white guys in their top 8 players?

I'm not racist, I hate everybody... But the Jazz do continue to reinforce the stereotype.

The Jazz have drafted over 100% more white guys than the league average in the last 10 years. Not sure if they think it's truly necessary to field a team that fits with the local culture or whether they're flat out incompetent racists.

The Jazz have drafted over 100% more white guys than the league average in the last 10 years. Not sure if they think it's truly necessary to field a team that fits with the local culture or whether they're flat out incompetent racists.

Or, you know, it could be you that's racist by assuming that one guy is going to be better than another simply because he's black.

Or, you know, it could be you that's racist by assuming that one guy is going to be better than another simply because he's black.

True, the fact that the majority of good players in the NBA are black is mere coincidence.

Good point but you have to consider the fact that the majority of the players in the NBA are of one particular race, that's not by accident. I'm not saying that guys of another race aren't capable of being great players and even better players that guys from the first mentioned race but all things considered if you're going to play the odds then you have to consider one race more superior as a whole to the guys from another race in the NBA.... Now you go figure out which race is which. If you follow and understand what I'm saying here then you have to look at your own beliefs and perceptions because not once here did I mention color.

You also have to figure, that the Jazz are better than 80% of the league, even with all their white players. So are you going to, then, infer that the Jazz are better at finding good white players? To me it means they are competent at finding good players and don't put an emphasis on picking up black players to please an image obsessed fan base.

You also have to figure, that the Jazz are better than 80% of the league, even with all their white players. So are you going to, then, infer that the Jazz are better at finding good white players? To me it means they are competent at finding good players and don't put an emphasis on picking up black players to please an image obsessed fan base.

The Jazz win the games they win because of the Sloan system. All players in the NBA are good basketball players regardless of color. If they weren't they wouldn't be getting the checks they get. The Sloan system will produce consistent success with average players (see the 03-04 season). Production will fluctuate depending on the level of player talent but you will rarely see 20-30 win seasons (see the 04-05 season). If you want to see the Jazz be great they need to add bigger, taller, more athletic players and yes, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes you feel those players are predominantly of a certain race.

Did someone do that analysis? I'd like to see it.

And if one were to do that analysis, should one take into account European players being stashed overseas for a later date?

If you want to see the Jazz be great they need to add bigger, taller, more athletic players and yes, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes you feel those players are predominantly of a certain race.

You mean big, tall athletic and talented players will make a team great? In the NBA?!?!?! No way!

Wish the Jazz and 25 other teams in the league could figure this out.

Did someone do that analysis? I'd like to see it.

And if one were to do that analysis, should one take into account European players being stashed overseas for a later date?

I nominate you Nate to head this one up for us... let us know what you find.

You mean big, tall athletic and talented players will make a team great? In the NBA?!?!?! No way!

Wish the Jazz and 25 other teams in the league could figure this out.

Looks like you missed the point... Probably has never happened to you before, right?