What's new

Mike Longabardi (Defensive Guru)

Twin Towers

I know there is a whole thread to all of the coaches, BUT this article really explains this guys background on the defensive side of the ball. And I think everyone deserves the read :)

We all know DL wants a defensive minded head coach. He always refers to the Bulls defense.

Mike Longabardi worked with Tom Thibodeau in Boston.

This article was written before the surprise season the suns just had.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...assistant-coach-mike-longabardi-talks-defense

"Well, you can't play fast all the time. You want to play fast to score easy points but you can't play reckless. You have to play to your strengths. Talent determines how a team should play. Taking bad shots makes it harder on defense (and vice versa). It's important to remember that in order to score, you have to get the ball, which you do by playing defense. When it comes down to it, it's tough to win playing at a high pace all the time. The game becomes a chess match in the playoffs, where execution is vital."

UPDATE 5/9/14
Utah Jazz: Does Mike Longabardi fit profile of next Jazz coach?
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57919613-87/longabardi-coach-jazz-assistant.html.csp

Last edited:
^^^

As far as coaches go, is the kinda on the short side? I just wonder if the players are gonna respect that?

^^^

As far as coaches go, is the kinda on the short side? I just wonder if the players are gonna respect that?

I think because he won a championship with the Celtics. And he has that New Jersey attitude he will be respected. He was respected with the Celtics and he was coaching all-time greats.

He will be fine because he is fully confident.

I've thought for a month now he would be our next coach. After this last weekend and reading what JVG has said about Lindsey, and Lindsey's history, I believe the Jazz go after Hollins first.

We gotta trust that Dennis Linsgod will pick the right coach. Have faith my people.

He would be a great hire and we would be lucky to get him. He made a horrendous Phoenix roster into the 10th best defense in the NBA. Plus, his name isn't Jim Boylen.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/20...-talks-defense

"Well, you can't play fast all the time. You want to play fast to score easy points but you can't play reckless. You have to play to your strengths. Talent determines how a team should play. Taking bad shots makes it harder on defense (and vice versa). It's important to remember that in order to score, you have to get the ball, which you do by playing defense. When it comes down to it, it's tough to win playing at a high pace all the time. The game becomes a chess match in the playoffs, where execution is vital."

Hire this man.

You can play fast and be good at defense.

In fact being good at defense helps you play fast. (Forcing turnovers often leads to fast breaks....... its easier to run after missed shots)

Can't say. Literally know nothing about the dude. Think I'd rather have Longabardi or the Euro dude first tho

That's fine, then. I was trying to lead you along then hit you with truth, but you didn't bite. Ha ha.

My point was, I'd rather go with experience, and a known quantity (Hollins wasn't fire because of his on court performance) over an unknown, even a really good unknown like Longabardi.

I love Longabardi and think he'll be a great coach. I was calling for Horny to take over two years ago. BUT, I'd take Hollins because it is a more sure bet. Especially when it comes to developing young talent.