What's new

Mitchell, the next Damian Lillard but with defense

Or trading Booker to another team would have netted a pick to get Mitchell AND other assets.

That isn't as likely as you make it sound.

Denver wanted Lyles and a pick for the #13, and we happened to have what it took to get the deal done. I'm not saying that it was correct to pick Lyles. I'm just saying that if we had picked Booker, we would likely have kept him, not traded him.

Is it also ok that the Jazz have used 5 first rounders (three of them lottery picks) to get a starting PG?

Yes, this is precisely what I was trying to get across all along. In fact, I hope they blow at least 5 more.

That isn't as likely as you make it sound.

Denver wanted Lyles and a pick for the #13, and we happened to have what it took to get the deal done. I'm not saying that it was correct to pick Lyles. I'm just saying that if we had picked Booker, we would likely have kept him, not traded him.

Yes, this is precisely what I was trying to get across all along. In fact, I hope they blow at least 5 more.
The absence of good young talent will soon hurt Utah. You can't continue to pay $10-$15M for vet backups. As it stands, there's little chance Utah can keep Hood, Favors AND Exum. And there's a slim chance Utah could replace one of them vis free agency. It's pretty tough to get far enough under the cap without basically renouncing everyone except the guaranteed guys (Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles, Bradley, Burks). Then, if Utah did sign a good FA, there's very little money left over to replenish the roster (since Bird rights are gone for the FA's renounced).

Hood has a relatively cheap cap hold. Favs and Exum are high. TBH, I could see Utah letting Favs and Exum go IF another FA can be found. Then they re-sign Rodney.

The absence of good young talent will soon hurt Utah. You can't continue to pay $10-$15M for vet backups. As it stands, there's little chance Utah can keep Hood, Favors AND Exum. And there's a slim chance Utah could replace one of them vis free agency. It's pretty tough to get far enough under the cap without basically renouncing everyone except the guaranteed guys (Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles, Bradley, Burks). Then, if Utah did sign a good FA, there's very little money left over to replenish the roster (since Bird rights are gone for the FA's renounced).

Hood has a relatively cheap cap hold. Favs and Exum are high. TBH, I could see Utah letting Favs and Exum go IF another FA can be found. Then they re-sign Rodney.

Yeah, sure. I hope it all works out.

I’d still rather have DM than Devin Booker.

Yeah, sure. I hope it all works out.

I’d still rather have DM than Devin Booker.

Sure. But why not have both?
You talk as if Lyles was some superstar Denver HAD to have. It's equally likely they just weren't that enamored with the options available and wanted to trade down. In the absence of Lyles, Utah may have been able to trade some other player. Denver has so many PF's (and traded for Millsap), that it's unlikely Lyles sees court time. Stupid, stupid trade by Denver.

Sure. But why not have both?

Thanks for the Lolz.

You talk as if Lyles was some superstar Denver HAD to have. It's equally likely they just weren't that enamored with the options available and wanted to trade down. In the absence of Lyles, Utah may have been able to trade some other player. Denver has so many PF's (and traded for Millsap), that it's unlikely Lyles sees court time. Stupid, stupid trade by Denver.

No, no one thinks Lyles is a star. I'm assuming they simply loaded up on power forwards in anticipation of participating in either the rumored Love trade, or another trade for a PF. When that didn't materialize, they signed Millsap because he was available and a better fit next to Jokic than any of their other forwards.

There is no other reason to carry six PFs in this era of basketball. The draft occurring before the FA period simply played to the Jazz' advantage. But if Denver is anticipating a trade for a PF, and they want an extra PF, they likely would not have traded their pick to the Jazz if the Jazz didn't have Lyles. So I disagree with you. In the absence of Lyles the Nuggets would have taken their stupidity elsewhere, and all of us would be looking at Mitchell with jealousy right now.