What's new

More death threats -- Woman take video of her walk through New York

https://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/10/29/video-of-woman-harassed-catcalled-on-street-hits-nerve/

The original video, of a ten-hour walk, had over 100 incidents of men feeling free to just come up to the woman and hit on her, simply because they are men. Just over one every 6 minutes. This link has a small section of the video.

Naturally, when you show videos like that, you get death threats.

Hey sexy, nice thread, wanna come over and check out the logs in my fireplace?

I don't get why saying what's up is now sexual harassment.

Generally, you should at least wait for her to make eye contact or give some other signal she wants to talk to random strangers. Otherwise, you are intruding into her life.

I don't know of anyone who is proposing laws, and such laws would probably run afoul of free speech anyhow. Do you need to have a law passed before you will treat someone with respect?

Generally, you should at least wait for her to make eye contact or give some other signal she wants to talk to random strangers. Otherwise, you are intruding into her life.

I don't know of anyone who is proposing laws, and such laws would probably run afoul of free speech anyhow. Do you need to have a law passed before you will treat someone with respect?

What if she doesn't have eyes?

What if they pass a law saying that you shouldn't respect people?

The world is not what it is. We should put out that silly "but it's human nature!" argument to pasture. At one point, a large percentage of the U.S. population was enslaved. Not long ago, women couldn't even vote. Even more recently, over 90% of the population thought inter-racial marriage was immoral. The world changes every day, and silencing criticism by claiming that things are the only way they can be is small minded and utterly incorrect. Women feel harassed when subjected to cat calls each time they leave their house. I would feel precisely the same. And since they are the ones getting harassed, you don't get a say in how they should feel. The behavior is unacceptable and society should stand against it.

Ok, you win, the world is something else besides what it is. So now, saying "hey baby" is not only similar to rape, but also slavery. You guys crack me up.
-
Like I said before, I have no problem with the message of this video, and I completely agree with the idea of always trying to change for the positive, but the dynamic between men and women isn't changing any time soon, at least not significantly. Therefore, I would sure hope this woman has a plan B for avoiding unwanted attention, as opposed to holding her breath in hopes that the male population will suddenly do a 360 in the way they pursue mates.

So, they hired a pretty actress with nice assets and had her walk for 10 hours in a very crowded city and all they got was 1.5 minutes of footage of men

This particular video was edited down to 1.5 minutes. As you saw in the video, one guy by himself spent 5 minutes trying to get her attention.

giving her a plethora of sexual options.

Why not only give sexual otions to people who are seeking sexual options?

This woman is a victim?

Yes.

Ok, you win, the world is something else besides what it is. So now, saying "hey baby" is not only similar to rape, but also slavery. You guys crack me up.
-
Like I said before, I have no problem with the message of this video, and I completely agree with the idea of always trying to change for the positive, but the dynamic between men and women isn't changing any time soon, at least not significantly, so I would sure hope this woman has a plan B for avoiding unwanted attention, as opposed to holding her breath in hopes that the male population will suddenly do a 360 in the way they pursue mates.

Dynamics between men and women have changed profoundly throughout history! Have you been outside of the U.S.? Have you ever seen gender dynamics in other societies? Some are very different. And while not every change is positive, the point is that things change. If you feel that treating women that way is acceptable, then say so. But let's not pretend it's about accepting what we cannot change.

And I never compared this slavery. I was giving an example of how something that was a given at one point, is now unthinkable. If you're sure of your position, then there is no point in intentional misunderstandings.

I'd like to see her do another video in which she is dressed more conservatively, and then see if she gets the same results.

Women wearing suits get harassed. Woemn wearing parkas get harassed. Women wearing burkas get harassed.

Also, while you probably don't mean to say, this, you are coming close to saying that (if it were possible) it is the woman's responsibility to dress in manner where she won't be harassed, and not the man's responsibility to not harass.

If you feel that treating women that way is acceptable, then say so.

Not acceptable, but it's a reality that exists that probably isn't changing much, at least anytime soon. But sure, since we've already agreed that there is no other reasonable solution to this woman's problem, I guess we'll just have to wait a couple weeks for every man in America to be enlightened. Can't wait.

Not acceptable, but it's a reality that exists that probably isn't changing much, at least anytime soon. But sure, since we've already agreed that there is no other reasonable solution to this woman's problem, I guess we'll just have to wait a couple weeks for every man in America to be enlightened. Can't wait.

Man, who cares if takes 2 weeks or a thousand years? You see something you don't like, and you speak out against it.

Hey sexy, nice thread, wanna come over and check out the logs in my fireplace?

Jeez you get arrested once for innocently looking in someone's window and all of a sudden your accused of being santa claus.

https://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/10/29/video-of-woman-harassed-catcalled-on-street-hits-nerve/

The original video, of a ten-hour walk, had over 100 incidents of men feeling free to just come up to the woman and hit on her, simply because they are men. Just over one every 6 minutes. This link has a small section of the video.

Naturally, when you show videos like that, you get death threats.

Well watched the video. Not sure how much they edited out but in that group there were roughly 6 guys that were true tools. I am not counting the "how ya doin" thrown out there by dudes that might just sit there and "how ya doin" everyone that walks by. So 6 assholes after 10 hours in a city of 2 million. I would say the odds were in her favor. I would have expected a LOT more crap with that large a pool of humanity to draw from.

How do you feel about rape? Oftentimes, the rapist doesn't even speak to the victim.

How do you feel about rape? Oftentimes, the rapist doesn't even speak to the victim.

Obviously I am VERY VERY pro-rape. I think everyone should rape all the time and everyone should be raped at least weekly during their lives.

Oh wait, were you really asking such a ****ing stupid *** question?

Oh I saw your sig....nevermind. I am glad JF still supports their "free accounts for the retarded" program.

All you guys have great insights and and an amazing ability to empathize with woman. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk