What's new

Moving to Hawaii

pickledXgrandma

So, much like Core4's thread about moving out of LA, I am looking for tips, advice, anything that could potentially help me, ect.

I decided to go for a job in Maui, not thinking I had much of a chance of getting it but behold....I got the job.

Has anybody here lived there before or spent time longer than a vacation there? I am really just looking for any sort of input.

I have heard about island fever which I am sure I will suffer from but I am hoping to travel to New Zealand, Thailand, and anywhere over there to help stem that.

A little about my situation......

I am 21 and single, I will be making about 1,000$ a week so I should be able to survive the expensive cost of living there due to no family.

I shipped my motorcycle out of San Diego yesterday to Maui and I will arrive in Maui September 17th to start my job.

Having never lived outside of Salt Lake, Bountiful, and Orem I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to enrich my life and explore.

Please feel free to comment, thanks guys!

So, much like Core4's thread about moving out of LA, I am looking for tips, advice, anything that could potentially help me, ect.

I decided to go for a job in Maui, not thinking I had much of a chance of getting it but behold....I got the job.

Has anybody here lived there before or spent time longer than a vacation there? I am really just looking for any sort of input.

I have heard about island fever which I am sure I will suffer from but I am hoping to travel to New Zealand, Thailand, and anywhere over there to help stem that.

A little about my situation......

I am 21 and single, I will be making about 1,000$ a week so I should be able to survive the expensive cost of living there due to no family.

I shipped my motorcycle out of San Diego yesterday to Maui and I will arrive in Maui September 17th to start my job.

Having never lived outside of Salt Lake, Bountiful, and Orem I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to enrich my life and explore.

Please feel free to comment, thanks guys!

I've been to Honolulu 4 different times for a combined 18-20 days. Very beautiful, almost every day there was a light rain followed by a rainbow. Mostly I was focused on getting smashed so I can't really help. But by coincidence my sister and her husband were up there one of the times I was there buying some rental properties. I got to a few different parts of the island then I had been to before.

I think I would have to buy a boat to combat island fever. It's pretty weird to me being on islands and thinking that people live their whole lives there but in reality the SL Valley is my island and I don't leave it very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to Honolulu 4 different times for a combined 18-20 days. Very beautiful, almost every day there was a light rain followed by a rainbow. Mostly I was focused on getting smashed so I can't really help. But by coincidence my sister and her husband were up there one of the times I was there buying some rental properties. I got to a few different parts of the island then I had been to before.

I think I would have to buy a boat to combat island fever. It's pretty weird to me being on islands and thinking that people live there whole lives there but in reality the SL Valley is my island and I don't leave it very often.

The island fever is much more of a mental thing, knowing you CAN leave compared to CANT. Because how often do people leave 30 minutes outside of their resident besides for work? Probably not too much. I am not really planning on spending more than two years there.

Man if I could get a boat and be able to do some deep-sea fishing that would be amazing.

For the next 2 1/2 weeks I want you doing nothing but tennis ball squats/lunges and 10 hour days on the flowrider to prepare you for your future surfing addiction.