What's new

My thoughts =/= David Locke's thoughts

Our guards don't do a great job of a) shooting the ball, b) moving the ball, or c) penetrating to put pressure on the defense.

That makes everything else we want to do on offense more difficult.

Exum even though he wasn't a shooter, was a great ball mover who always put pressure on the defense with his threat to get to the rim. He had some gravity. Trey Burke is a limited shooter/scorer and mediocre passer/ball mover. Raul hasn't figured out how to score, and until he does it's hard to have him on the court.

We ask Hayward, Hood, Ingles and Burks to be initiators to compensate for our guards, and they're not bad at it considering that they're really wings, but they're not exactly game-changing all stars either. They've been streaky.

Our bigs are big, a bit slow and not great passers. Rudy can pass the ball on certain deliveries, but our bigs are ball stoppers for the most part with limitations as scorers.

So coaches are trying to figure out how to piece together enough offense to stay competitive. It's difficult. We still don't have the kind of player you can build an offense around.

Our guards don't do a great job of a) shooting the ball, b) moving the ball, or c) penetrating to put pressure on the defense.

That makes everything else we want to do on offense more difficult.

Exum even though he wasn't a shooter, was a great ball mover who always put pressure on the defense with his threat to get to the rim. He had some gravity. Trey Burke is a limited shooter/scorer and mediocre passer/ball mover. Raul hasn't figured out how to score, and until he does it's hard to have him on the court.

We ask Hayward, Hood, Ingles and Burks to be initiators to compensate for our guards, and they're not bad at it considering that they're really wings, but they're not exactly game-changing all stars either. They've been streaky.

Our bigs are big, a bit slow and not great passers. Rudy can pass the ball on certain deliveries, but our bigs are ball stoppers for the most part with limitations as scorers.

So coaches are trying to figure out how to piece together enough offense to stay competitive. It's difficult. We still don't have the kind of player you can build an offense around.

I agree with all of this. But, my point is that the motion option seems the least effective of all the other options that they have at their disposal. I'm not saying the other options are league beaters, just better than the motion. At least that's what my eyes are telling me.

I agree with all of this. But, my point is that the motion option seems the least effective of all the other options that they have at their disposal. I'm not saying the other options are league beaters, just better than the motion. At least that's what my eyes are telling me.

The offense Sloan installed was the old Weber State offense of yesteryear that was developed by Dick Motta and Phil Johnson and used by the Bulls when Sloan played there. The offense works.

I dont' think that's my problem, never liked the motion offense before, don't like it now. I'd prefer just about anything. PNR with Favors? Yes please. Dump it to Favors in the Post and let him work? Yes please. ISO with Burks? Sure. Let Gordon penetrate and kick? Sure. Run Hood off a double screen to get him a lightly contested 3 as the first option? Yup.

There isn't much out there that I don't like better than the motion offense.

So basically you want Al Jefferson or Kanter back? Not me. I hated that stagnant offense.

I like that we have lots of ball movement. We're 10 games in, give them a chance to work it through. I bet it will get better and by 30 games in it will have more open looks and drives to the basket with less traps and problems.

Thanks for the correction. What are the odds that 2 coaches with the initials DM would be associated with the motion offense? (I was worried I remembered it wrong, was a long time ago_)

So basically you want Al Jefferson or Kanter back? Not me. I hated that stagnant offense.

I like that we have lots of ball movement. We're 10 games in, give them a chance to work it through. I bet it will get better and by 30 games in it will have more open looks and drives to the basket with less traps and problems.

Well, I hope you are right. For now can you agree that it stinks though?

When Quin said he was installing Horns, this was not what I was expecting. Horns strength comes from variety of options and we use so few of those variations.

Well, I hope you are right. For now can you agree that it stinks though?

Yes it has holes and when the ball slows down it is hard to watch. However, I can see where they are trying to go. I think with more experience the movement of the ball will get closer to the basket (instead of always above the 3 pt line or even near half court) which will in turn create more dunks and easy kick outs for three pointers.