What's new

Nets lock down stadium

Absolutely not.
As a business owner, I can say absolutely not.
Of course not. That is one of the dumbest sayings of all time.
It seems like a big price to pay. With Kyrie Irving they were the #2 team in the East. Without him they aren't a playoff team at all.

Maybe their fans won't care about not making the playoffs. It is possible the Nets' fanbase will understand how the Nets are unilaterally changing the terms of Kyrie Irving's contract so that he's now not allowed to play unless he does extra thing he never agreed to during the contract negotiations both sides signed, and the result is that their team is now a .500 team because of it. It could be that Nets fans are so fearful of COVID that they worry they'd catch it through their TV screens if Kyrie is allowed on the court. Or maybe the fans won't be as excited to watch a team that loses more, won't buy as many jerseys, and won't put as much money in the pockets of the Nets' owners. I don't think every customer is always right, but I do think a continent large enough to shut down an area over is something a business owner should pay attention to.

It seems like a big price to pay. With Kyrie Irving they were the #2 team in the East. Without him they aren't a playoff team at all.

Maybe their fans won't care about not making the playoffs. It is possible the Nets' fanbase will understand how the Nets are unilaterally changing the terms of Kyrie Irving's contract so that he's now not allowed to play unless he does extra thing he never agreed to during the contract negotiations both sides signed, and the result is that their team is now a .500 team because of it. It could be that Nets fans are so fearful of COVID that they worry they'd catch it through their TV screens if Kyrie is allowed on the court. Or maybe the fans won't be as excited to watch a team that loses more, won't buy as many jerseys, and won't put as much money in the pockets of the Nets' owners. I don't think every customer is always right, but I do think a continent large enough to shut down an area over is something a business owner should pay attention to.
Lol you think that a team with Kevin Durant (arguably the best player in the NBA) and James harden (annually a top 5 player in the NBA) can't/won't make the playoffs in the eastern conference? Lol now that's a hot take

One of my favorite stories from working customer service, and I've got a ton, was way back when I was doing food service where an employee waved me over to the drive-thru window with a customer demanding to talk to the manager (enter me).

He was irate that he didn't get a 'white Coke' when he came through the drive-thru - instead, he saw the drive-thru employee fill up and give him a Sprite instead. Why can't we listen to him and get his order right? He didn't want a Sprite, he wanted a white Coke. Why is this so hard?

"I'm sorry, I'll take care of that for you right now." I told him. I then proceeded to go over to the drink tower behind the lobby registers out of the view of drive-thru, fill up a 32 oz. Sprite for him, chucked in a few free apple pies for giggles and asked him to take a sip of the drink to make sure it would work for him. He said it was perfect and appreciated the free pies for 'our mistake' and drove off into the night pleased at the resolution.

That mfer was high as ****.

James harden (annually a top 5 player in the NBA) can't/won't make the playoffs in the eastern conference?
What Harden sees in the rearview mirror is beautiful, but it is an open question on how Harden will adapt to the new NBA rules changes specifically installed to stop what Harden has built his career on, and I don't think he's as explosive as he was in seasons past. There is still a lot of season yet to play but I think Harden is going to miss having Kyrie Irving to pull some of the attention away while Harden finds his new groove if he's able to find a new groove at all.

What Harden sees in the rearview mirror is beautiful, but it is an open question on how Harden will adapt to the new NBA rules changes specifically installed to stop what Harden has built his career on, and I don't think he's as explosive as he was in seasons past. There is still a lot of season yet to play but I think Harden is going to miss having Kyrie Irving to pull some of the attention away while Harden finds his new groove if he's able to find a new groove at all.
The east sucks and it's easy to make the playoffs though

The east sucks and it's easy to make the playoffs though
Just for fun, let's say I'm correct. You are the owner of the Nets. You have a crystal ball that lets you see that without Kyrie Irving the Nets will finish .500 and out of the playoffs but with Kyrie Irving they finish as the #2 seed.

The vaccine requirement is not in Kyrie Irving's contract. He's agreed to be tested every 3 days, he's young, extremely cardiovascularly healthy, and you know Regeneron is highly effective when you catch infections early. Given his health, the level of medical care available to him, and because breakthrough infections are a thing he's not at any higher risk to cause an outbreak than anyone else on the team. This is a power move, to force Kyrie Irving to accept a condition not in his contract simply as an outward show that you are on "team vaccinate".

As the owner of the Nets with your crystal ball, do you voluntarily cause your team to miss the playoffs to virtue signal?

... and because breakthrough infections are a thing he's not at any higher risk to cause an outbreak than anyone else on the team.
What a spectacular example of how binary reasoning leads to bad decisions. Being vaccinated means Irving is has far less than half the chance of getting an infection in the first place, vastly reducing the likelihood he would cause an outbreak.

Just for fun, let's say I'm correct. You are the owner of the Nets. You have a crystal ball that lets you see that without Kyrie Irving the Nets will finish .500 and out of the playoffs but with Kyrie Irving they finish as the #2 seed.

The vaccine requirement is not in Kyrie Irving's contract. He's agreed to be tested every 3 days, he's young, extremely cardiovascularly healthy, and you know Regeneron is highly effective when you catch infections early. Given his health, the level of medical care available to him, and because breakthrough infections are a thing he's not at any higher risk to cause an outbreak than anyone else on the team. This is a power move, to force Kyrie Irving to accept a condition not in his contract simply as an outward show that you are on "team vaccinate".

As the owner of the Nets with your crystal ball, do you voluntarily cause your team to miss the playoffs to virtue signal?

Oh what would i do? If i was the ownwer I wouldn’t make any of my players get vaccinated.

If i played for a team or worked for a company that required me to get vaccinated then i would get vaccinated.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh what would i do? If i was the ownwer I wouldn’t make any of my players get vaccinated.
Just so that I'm clear in your two statements, you are saying that if you ran the Nets and the NBA, you would not be imposing any vaccine mandates.

If i played for a team or worked for a company that required me to get vaccinated then i would get vaccinated.
If you were an employee at a company that issued a vaccine requirement and provide proof of vaccination, you would do so. Would it matter if the employer was a union shop, you did have a collective bargaining agreement in force that did not include any provision for disclosing your medical history, and the employer unilaterally changed the deal without any agreement from the union?

What a spectacular example of how binary reasoning leads to bad decisions. Being vaccinated means Irving is has far less than half the chance of getting an infection in the first place, vastly reducing the likelihood he would cause an outbreak.
Boring. It is easy to duck a question through some silly little nit pick. It is more work but far more interesting to discuss how much making an empty virtue signal is worth.

The same crystal ball that tells you that you'll miss the playoffs also tells you that Kyrie Irving won't cause an outbreak. You can't let anyone else see the crystal ball or even admit that you have it. Do you willingly do that much damage to your organization to virtue signal how pro-vaccine you are?

Boring. It is easy to duck a question through some silly little nit pick. It is more work but far more interesting to discuss how much making an empty virtue signal is worth.

The same crystal ball that tells you that you'll miss the playoffs also tells you that Kyrie Irving won't cause an outbreak. You can't let anyone else see the crystal ball or even admit that you have it. Do you willingly do that much damage to your organization to virtue signal how pro-vaccine you are?
I have no idea. I'm fiercely pro-vaccine (and I'll let my record speak for that), so I have no idea what decision I would make, but it's not as obvious as it seems to be for you.

I have no idea. I'm fiercely pro-vaccine (and I'll let my record speak for that), so I have no idea what decision I would make, but it's not as obvious as it seems to be for you.
What if it were the Jazz who at mid-season had the best record in the NBA and decided to signal their support for equal rights, swapped out the entire team for WNBA players, lost every game for the rest of the season while playing awful, almost unwatchable basketball, and missed the playoffs while the press fawned over how brave the Jazz were as an organization to send that kind of message. The Jazz showed in the first half of the season that they had all the pieces in place, and they tossed it in the trashcan to virtue signal. As a Jazz fan, how would that sit with you?

What if it were the Jazz who at mid-season had the best record in the NBA and decided to signal their support for equal rights, swapped out the entire team for WNBA players, lost every game for the rest of the season while playing awful, almost unwatchable basketball, and missed the playoffs while the press fawned over how brave the Jazz were as an organization to send that kind of message. The Jazz showed in the first half of the season that they had all the pieces in place, and they tossed it in the trashcan to virtue signal. As a Jazz fan, how would that sit with you?
Well, since we are discussing concrete actions being taken, and at a considerable loss, it's not virtue signaling. It's actual virtuous behavior, however misguided.

Secondly, I have no idea how I would react, because that scenario is so weird that I have no prior experience. Are you claiming you would know for a fact what your reaction would be?