What's new

Never Forget....Sept 11, 2001

From the other side of the world my perspective is that things haven't really been that much different, the endless war goes on far away from us, out of the public eye and mindset, professional soldiers do the fighting and dying, they come home and deal with the mental scars more or less on their own. (more Australian servicemen have died from suicide post war than died in Iraq and Afghanistan.)

It is an unseen war for which the vast majority of us have made no sacrifice, the real victim of it from our perspective is the Muslim community which has more or less been the sole target of far right hatred and propaganda since 2001.

What has changed for us here is the lost of freedoms that keep accumulating because of the fear that we cannot get over. We have killed thousands upon thousands of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan because of it, and have effectively become even bigger bullies in the Middle East than we had been. We now believe that we live in a more unsafe world than the generations before us, which isn't at all born out by the facts.

Without 9/11, Trump would not be president. Fear would not be our primary motivator.

Saw a post about never wanting another 9/11 but profoundly missing 9/12. When things like gender, race, religion, education didn’t matter. When what mattered was the person. How we were all pulling for, helping and comforting one another. We were united.

That's a fairytale

It never happened

If you're looking for a silver lining you really have to rewrite history to create one. On 9 12 the seeds of hate planted on 9 11 germinated. I absolutely do not long for 9 12 2001, 9 10 but not 9 12.

That's a fairytale

It never happened

If you're looking for a silver lining you really have to rewrite history to create one. On 9 12 the seeds of hate planted on 9 11 germinated. I absolutely do not long for 9 12 2001, 9 10 but not 9 12.

In someways yes, in others no.