What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883128.html

"The Thunder ideally would like to take back salaries less than the $38.2 million that Westbrook will earn this coming season because OKC doesn’t want to increase its luxury tax payments. That’s a big deal for OKC, which is $2.25 million above the $132.6 million tax threshold and is subject to the punitive repeater tax if it stays over that threshold.

But because the Heat is hard capped at $138.9 million after the Jimmy Butler trade and won’t have space to sign any more players after eventually signing Tyler Herro, Miami cannot send out less money than it absorbs in a Westbrook trade. And the Heat needs to send out players earning at least a couple million dollars more than Westbrook’s $38.2 million if it’s a 3-for-1 trade."

So...

Miami needs to send out pretty much what they get back. The Thunder need to cut about $3 million. Exum makes $3 million less than Winslow. C'mon DL and Zanik, figure something out.
Lol at you thinking DL and Zanik will trade Exum for Winslow.

Okay so trade idea

Heat receive: Russell Westbrook
Thunder receive: Goran Dragic, Dion Waiters, Tyler Herro
Mavs receive: Kelly Olynyk + draft compensation

Heat get Westbrook and sneak under the apron (I think?) Thunder get Herro, get under the tax line (I think?), and Dragic expires next summer. Mavs facilitate both teams by taking Olynyk into their trade exception and get draft compensation for it.

If Im the Thunder Im not trading Westbrook unless I get picks or a good young player. Dude isn't trash. People are just down on him because he doesnt live up to his potential.

At this point, I think the Thunder might be happy getting mostly expiring contracts and getting under the luxury by trading Westbrook.

Miami trades Dragic and one of James Johnson, Winslow, Waiters and Olynyk
OKC trades Westbrook
3rd team takes some salary so Thunder don't have to

If Im the Thunder Im not trading Westbrook unless I get picks or a good young player. Dude isn't trash. People are just down on him because he doesnt live up to his potential.

It's the contract and the timing that makes it hard for the Thunder to get a good offer right now.

Okay so trade idea

Heat receive: Russell Westbrook
Thunder receive: Goran Dragic, Dion Waiters, Tyler Herro
Mavs receive: Kelly Olynyk + draft compensation

Heat get Westbrook and sneak under the apron (I think?) Thunder get Herro, get under the tax line (I think?), and Dragic expires next summer. Mavs facilitate both teams by taking Olynyk into their trade exception and get draft compensation for it.

Heat have already said they aren’t trading Herro. I have a feeling they want him to play point.

Heat have already said they aren’t trading Herro. I have a feeling they want him to play point.

They also want Westbrook though. Looking at the financial side of this trade (and the value side for the Thunder) its hard to see a deal that works unless either Herro or Bam is involved. Neither of which the Heat want to trade, but it may be necessary.

Nah, he's trash. Dude can't shoot, can't play defense, isn't a good teammate. His percentages were trash this year and getting worse.

Best you can do with him is have him as your only main player and role players around him. You can get a 6,7, or 8 seed in the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Has anyone chased away better players? Harden, Durant, and Paul George all left because of him.

They also want Westbrook though. Looking at the financial side of this trade (and the value side for the Thunder) its hard to see a deal that works unless either Herro or Bam is involved. Neither of which the Heat want to trade, but it may be necessary.
They said they weren’t trading either after the rumors came out. I wouldn’t trade either for Westbrook either.

The Celtics waived former first round draft pick (he was touted as a sleeper in 2016) Guerschon Yabusele. Don't know much about him. I do know Quin and Co are at their best when it comes to developing players.

Anyone have good insight on this guy that's not a regurgitation from a write up online?

The Celtics waived former first round draft pick (he was touted as a sleeper in 2016) Guerschon Yabusele. Don't know much about him. I do know Quin and Co are at their best when it comes to developing players.

Anyone have good insight on this guy that's not a regurgitation from a write up online?

Based on my own observations:

-Had about 3/4 of a jumper at the 3 point line. Never became consistent.
-Had good feet and hints of athletic ability but he never lost the weight.

If he could polish up his jumper and lose 30 pounds, he might be an NBA player. But I don't think he is a good project.

And he was struggling in the summer league this year.

Brantley is out for summer league again today with the hammy. I've been waiting for him to breakout with a 24/9-type game, but he hasn't played this week.