No Gobert,No Mitchell in top 10 on 1st showing of All-Star voting

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by tleikheen, Jan 3, 2019.

1. tleikheen

tleikheen Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Even David Locke's analytics can't justify Mitchell being All-Star worthy BUT Gobert is playing well enough to be considered.
    But Gobert plays for a very average Utah team led by average playing starting guards in Rubio/Mitchell both who lack touch on lob city to Gobert. Gobert needs big dunks to show he's not a one dimensional player.
    We can hope Jazz go on a winning streak where both players get sports highlite times but with Rubio running point expect mediocre to continue for the Jazz, making Gobert less noticeable to NBA voting fans.

2. Thee jazz fan

Thee jazz fan Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I’m not worried about it

3. tleikheen

tleikheen Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    With your profile picture being Gobert and Mitchell,lol

4. Sandman822

Sandman822 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Gobert was never going to be a fan vote pick, his game isn't sexy enough. Coaches know their **** though so that's where he'd get in.

Mitchell kinda needs the fan vote and he's not getting it, and his season has been pretty bad so he won't make it. He'll get to play in the Rook/Sophomore game or whatever twist they're putting on it this year though

5. SoUjazzfan

SoUjazzfan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    In all honesty I hope neither go. Rudy deserves to be there but a little recovery time outweighs the prestige of being there from a long term perspective. I am interested to see how Donovan plays in the rookie sophomore version although I wish he’d just relax as well. Is Donovan going to try to defend his dunk title?

campaignist and Wes Mantooth like this.
  6. Gobzilla

Gobzilla Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    As much as he's been dunking this year, I doubt it.

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  7. oneye

oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

Dec 2, 2017
    It doesn’t outweigh it in the long run. Rudy needs to be there. Donovan will be for the sophomore challenge. Rudy has to start making some of these or it will start to bother him. Guys can say it doesn’t but it absolutely does. I understand Donovan probably hasn’t played at that level this year but if he picks things up and has some great seasons he needs to make it too. I think these things mean more to Donovan but they mean a lot to Rudy. You could see how much that DPOY meant to him last year. I think if Donovan plays better he will start making them, Rudy style of play being not very flashy is what hurts him, but he better get selected by the coaches.

Sandman822 likes this.
  8. Sandman822

Jul 7, 2015
    Plus it's great for the Jazz organisation in general to be getting guys going to the ASG as it gets people talking about the Jazz/gives them selling points on potential FAs if they can sell two all stars + a top 10 coach in the league.

campaignist and oneye like this.
  9. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    He’s been weird about dunking this year. Even from the beginning he was saying he wasn’t sure is he’d do it again, and so far this season he hasn’t dunked hardly at all. It’s been strange. There is the possibility somethings wrong with him, or he’s protecting himself from injury by not trying such dangerous plays. I could still see him being in the contest though seeing as he won it but who knows.

campaignist likes this.
  10. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Does that surprise anyone?

Thee jazz fan likes this.
  11. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    No surprise at all. I said before the season that we needed to be top 2 in the west for both to make the all star team, top 4 for one of them to make it, top 6-8 for one to have a chance.

We are what, 11th? We aren't going to have an all star.

campaignist likes this.
  12. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Neither deserve it. Mitchell has been horse **** this year and Rudy can dunk off lobs, but what else? Fair or not, people will judge him on the overall defense of the Jazz and that hasnt been good enough when needed.

Besides, arent the votes just backcourt and frontcourt, not necessarily C, PF, SG, etc. I can think of several players I'd vote for instead of Rudy and a LOT I'd put ahead of Donovan. Heck, even Fultz may be a better shooter (joking, of course), but Mitchell has been turrible thus far.

13. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Rudy is having a career year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Strutter, Bulletproof, Dali and 2 others like this.
  14. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Rudy is taking more shots per game than ever before in his career and shooting a higher percentage than ever before in his career. Career high in efg. Career high in getting to the line and his second highest free throw percentage. Best rebounding year of his career. Career high in assists. 2nd highest year for steals. Lowest turnovers of his career. Highest points average of his career.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

LifeOnaPlate, UB, babe and 1 other person like this.
  15. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    Rudy deserves to be there.

16. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    this .. wtf is jockstrap on about ?? Rudy has been a beast, most consistent year yet. And the team D is progressively getting better and better

17. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Fan voting is a joke. Demarcus Cousin's is 10th with 90,000+ votes. Rudy most definitely deserves consideration. There are plenty of mediocre teams with guys getting votes. Lorenzo Ball.. come on.

Et tu Brute likes this.
  18. Sandman822

Jul 7, 2015
    Gobert should get Draymond Green's spot, and he does absolutely deserve a spot on the team.

19. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Cousins? Wtf? Yep fan voting is stupid.

I rememeber iverson getting voted in when he was no where near an all star level player. Yao ming too

20. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Yao Ming was voted in playing six games as was Kobe a couple times despite tearing his ACL after only a few games.

Just another hint that the NBA is a joke.