What's new

Game Thread Nov 21, 2022 08:30PM MT: Jazz at Los Angeles Clippers

Added to Calendar: 11-21-22

And that is why they never call a foul in that scenario.
All of a sudden in this one game in this instance they are going to go by “the rule book” instead of the actual way they always call the play?
Thats ********. Call should have stood and I bet it would almost every time. I was shocked they changed the call regardless of what a rule book says. I have watched a lot of basketball and have seen plays just like that one get reviewed and never overturned.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I agree with most of this, although I haven't seen plays like this get overturned personally. I've seen other examples of the opposite though.

The most egregious example I can think of is the 2021 WCF Game 2, when a Suns player got the inbounds and a Clippers player batted it out of bounds. They called it Suns ball, the Clippers challenged, and on the replay you can see even though the Clippers player knocked it out of bounds, it was technically the Suns player who touched it last. During the normal course of play they ALWAYS call that out of bounds on the team knocking it out, even though pretty often that's not really the case.

Bottom line is, the rules should reflect how the officials actually call the game.

I think it's pretty clear Sexton is going to miss Mike the most. Mike/Sexton duo lets Sexton play to his strengths and when stuff needs to be ran properly we have the safety blanket in Conley.

Now Sexton has to actually run stuff and it's painful to watch.

THT fits better with the starters. Clarkson and Sexton are redundant out there together.

I think it's pretty clear Sexton is going to miss Mike the most. Mike/Sexton duo lets Sexton play to his strengths and when stuff needs to be ran properly we have the safety blanket in Conley.

Now Sexton has to actually run stuff and it's painful to watch.
As crazy as it might sound, I think we get off to a better start if it’s Beasley instead of Sexton in the starting lineup.

I agree with most of this, although I haven't seen plays like this get overturned personally. I've seen other examples of the opposite though.

The most egregious example I can think of is the 2021 WCF Game 2, when a Suns player got the inbounds and a Clippers player batted it out of bounds. They called it Suns ball, the Clippers challenged, and on the replay you can see even though the Clippers player knocked it out of bounds, it was technically the Suns player who touched it last. During the normal course of play they ALWAYS call that out of bounds on the team knocking it out, even though pretty often that's not really the case.

Bottom line is, the rules should reflect how the officials actually call the game.

What do you think of my idea of using this rule to our advantage?

There is 30 seconds left in the game. We need a stop. So coach hardy tell the players “if any ball handler goes towards to hoop i want you to jump in front of them at the last second when they would have no possible chance to change course, cause a bunch of contact and go down. The refs will surely call the defensive foul but i will use my challenge and the refs will look at the play again but this time they will focus on the rule book and will definitely overturn the call. We get the stop we need and they get a foul. Just make sure to be in guarding position (hands out and legs bent and head up) when you land in front of them”
Seems like a fool proof strategy.

What do you think of my idea of using this rule to our advantage?

There is 30 seconds left in the game. We need a stop. So coach hardy tell the players “if any ball handler goes towards to hoop i want you to jump in front of them at the last second when they would have no possible chance to change course, cause a bunch of contact and go down. The refs will surely call the defensive foul but i will use my challenge and the refs will look at the play again but this time they will focus on the rule book and will definitely overturn the call. We get the stop weed need and they get a foul. Just make sure to be in guarding position (hands out and legs bent and head up) when you land in front of them”
Seems like a fool proof strategy.

I think you should get Will Hardy on the phone.

I really hoped that Fontecchio would step up and play so well in Gay's absence that Hardy would have no choice but to keep him in the rotation once Gay came back. Unfortunately, he hasn't really done that.

I really hoped that Fontecchio would step up and play so well in Gay's absence that Hardy would have no choice but to keep him in the rotation once Gay came back. Unfortunately, he hasn't really done that.
He looked good in his first start against the Suns. I think he just lives and dies by the three.

Not our night it happen. Shooting not too good, specially Malik and Sexton, Mike exp was missing at crutch time.

But we fight and were close.

Sexton play near 30 min and was not good. THT despite some crazy move sometimes is much better.

The only one who has a good game was Lauri. Olnynk shot okay but was terrible on defense and rebounding. THT had some good plays in the second half but turned the ball over too much and wasn't moving the ball. Sexton was bad in the second half. Beasley had an off night shooting. NAW had some awful turnovers. Kessler looked lost in the first half and really messed the offense up same with Fontecchio but to a lesser extent. I hope he can figure out the flow of the game on both ends because he could be good but just can't rotate and can't figure out where to be.

We miss a good wing, a better big than KO ( if Kessler cannot become a starter) and yes i agree a good PG if we consider that Mike won't be here next year. ...still under construction.
I don’t know, for me it’s just a back up point guard and a back up power forward. Olynyk gets dissed a lot on this forum but he’s solid as **** in my book and you won’t find a more clutch guy from the charity stripe. Listening to forumites you’d think he had a terrible game and yet he was 6 for 7 overall perfect 3 for 3 from 3 perfect 4 for 4 from the line, 7 boards 4 asts and 2 stls with 1 TO in 31 mins. He and Vanderbilt actually led the team in assists per minutes played tonight which is a total travesty (Sexton and Beasley 1 ast, THT 2 ast.).

I don’t know, for me it’s just a back up point guard and a back up power forward. Olynyk gets dissed a lot on this forum but he’s solid as **** in my book and you won’t find a more clutch guy from the charity stripe. Listening to forumites you’d think he had a terrible game and yet he was 6 for 7 overall perfect 3 for 3 from 3 perfect 4 for 4 from the line, 7 boards 4 asts and 2 stls with 1 TO in 31 mins. He and Vanderbilt actually led the team in assists per minutes played tonight which is a total travesty (Sexton and Beasley 1 ast, THT 2 ast.).
I agree with you. My point was more what we miss to become a real contender. I know we have a good start but still dont believe one second this team has a chance to go far in PO.
Goint point for the passing thing, the fact that KO, Vando are the best passer tonight show how bad have been Sexton, Beasley and THT for this aspect of the game. We miss Mike for sure....

Random thoughts

- Kessler got 12 minutes. 12. Are you kidding me? Against a team with a ground-bound traditional center who never ventures away from the paint area? Sometimes I don't understand what Hardy is doing. This was literally the perfect game to give Kessler 20+ minutes. Yet he played Sexton for 28 mins and that dude was godawful the whole time.

- Clarkson, Sexton, Beasley, NAW and THT had 9 assists between them. That's not gonna cut it. The frontcourt trio of Olynyk, Lauri and Vando had 12. Someone in the backcourt needs to step up and take more of a PG role now that Conley is out (yes, that means spending less time looking for your own shot). I'm looking at Clarkson and THT since Beasley is a shooter and NAW and Sexton suck.

- Our perimeter defense was terrible. I've never seen opposing teams get so many wide open midrange jumpers with just one half-assed ball screen. The defender at the point of attack dies on the pick (THT and Sexton are the worst offenders), the center sits way too deep in the drop... automatic 2 points. Those shots are like layups for NBA ball handlers. On the other side of the coin, we regularly overshoot close outs, biting on shot fakes, and end up waaaay out of position.

- NAW had 3 turnovers in 9 minutes of playing time. That's unspeakably awful. I get no pleasure from roasting him, but really, this dude is not an NBA player.

Last edited: