What's new

Game Thread Nov 21, 2022 08:30PM MT: Jazz at Los Angeles Clippers

Added to Calendar: 11-21-22

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZDcBxgSydc

Caught the second half again today and had a couple of random thoughts.

That Vando kick was costly as was that overturned block on Coffey.

Got a better look at the so called “heated conversation” and made the following conclusions:
1) Hardy is no shrinking violet choir boy but more in your face and “nasty” than Snyder. Made out “that’s ********” and stared off a player that was eavesdropping, so more like Sloan territory. +1
2) Definitely had to do with action on the defensive end of the court preceding the Vando kick. neutral
3) Sexton was not at all aggressive, totally on the defensive and only trying to cooly explain his position. Obviously coach wasn’t having it! +2, one for each guy
4) Sexton yanked because of missing a switch or something the rest of us seemed to miss. neutral

Anyway, makes me more optimistic moving forward.

For years I have advocated getting rid of the charge. Its dangerous and not basketball. I play pickup like 2x a week for 20 years... no one takes charges... no one gets knocked to the ground by drivers... people just try to defend the shot. No one turns into a statue and goes limp.

There is way more contact on post ups when the guy drives his shoulder into a guy. Its just weird we incentivize guys (often small guys) jumping in front of players who are going full speed causing multiple guys to fall down around a bunch of other players legs.
Its also lame when a big guys gets the missmatch in the post (a little guy guarding) and the big guy tries to do what he should and back down the little guy for the easy bucket but the little guy just flops at the first little contact and gets the offensive player called for a foul.

I saw Lauri the other night get a little guy switched onto him down low and he passed the ball out to a guard. I honestly feel like he thought that if he tried to take advantage of the missmatch he would get called for the foul. So dumb. I saw a few games back when Conley was guarding a big on the other team and he was about to be scored on easily and so he flopped hard as hell and the refs rewarded the flop.

As a big in the post you are actually better off having another big guy guarding you. Which is dumb.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZDcBxgSydc

Caught the second half again today and had a couple of random thoughts.

That Vando kick was costly as was that overturned block on Coffey.

Got a better look at the so called “heated conversation” and made the following conclusions:
1) Hardy is no shrinking violet choir boy but more in your face and “nasty” than Snyder. Made out “that’s ********” and stared off a player that was eavesdropping, so more like Sloan territory. +1
2) Definitely had to do with action on the defensive end of the court preceding the Vando kick. neutral
3) Sexton was not at all aggressive, totally on the defensive and only trying to cooly explain his position. Obviously coach wasn’t having it! +2, one for each guy
4) Sexton yanked because of missing a switch or something the rest of us seemed to miss. neutral

Anyway, makes me more optimistic moving forward.

I think it's as simple as the Jazz/Hardy are invested in making Sexton a better player who can make some winning plays for them moving forward. Hardy made a point to have that little chat with Sexton while the game was still being decided. If Conley were on the bench maybe it would've been Mike who had the discussion with Sexton. I imagine alot of that is going on behind the scenes.

Now if it had been NAW, who doesn't seem to have a role moving forward, he might've just benched him without saying a word.

I think it's as simple as the Jazz/Hardy are invested in making Sexton a better player who can make some winning plays for them moving forward. Hardy made a point to have that little chat with Sexton while the game was still being decided. If Conley were on the bench maybe it would've been Mike who had the discussion with Sexton. I imagine alot of that is going on behind the scenes.

Now if it had been NAW, who doesn't seem to have a role moving forward, he might've just benched him without saying a word.
Some seemed to question the immediacy and the drama on screen in real time, but that’s the only way people learn in my experience. If Hardy waits the moment is lost and so is the weight of the message.

As a former High School SPED teacher that just got off a short and frustrating Elementary School assignment for missing retirement credits, the topics of team building, team management, learning and behavior management are of great interest.

Some seemed to question the immediacy and the drama on screen in real time, but that’s the only way people learn in my experience. If Hardy waits the moment is lost and so is the weight of the message.

As a former High School SPED teacher that just got off a short and frustrating Elementary School assignment for missing retirement credits, the topics of team building, team management, learning and behavior management are of great interest.
Yeah when it comes to twitter/social media/fan forums there's alot of overreaction to the moment. Half this board is looking to trade one of our guys after one bad game.
Hardy obviously felt there was a message that needed to be immediately conveyed. I think it's great coaching especially when he has young players like Sexton, THT, Kessler on the roster who make mistakes and need to be coached up.

Yeah when it comes to twitter/social media/fan forums there's alot of overreaction to the moment. Half this board is looking to trade one of our guys after one bad game.
Hardy obviously felt there was a message that needed to be immediately conveyed. I think it's great coaching especially when he has young players like Sexton, THT, Kessler on the roster who make mistakes and need to be coached up.
Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more! Honest communication is key IMO. And sometimes by today’s weak knee’d standards it might look ugly.