What's new

Game Thread Nov 23, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Pistons

Added to Calendar: 11-23-22

Lauri needs to set the tone for us. I don't know why he looked so passive today, especially in the first half. Like he didn't come in with the same attitude we have seen in many previous games.

He was better in the second half, but I felt it was too little too late. I'm the biggest stan of the guy but I still think he sucked and it was not on anyone else, including the guards or the coach. I will still give him a pass.

As been telling here - Lauri has had endurance issues in his career. This season so far it has taken one or two games before bouncing back, sometimes it might have taken weeks.
His game is so much about the first step, cuts etc. And in the defense his short arms for that tall of dude is a hindrance, so if his legs seem to be off, his contests arent as good.
In games where his step seems off, he needs the most Mike-tier point guard. But like in the last game, seems he had all the needed endurance to pick out offensive boards and run for the all the damn time.

cowhide

A couple comments, no game in the NBA is a gimme, Detroit is not as bad as their record. They didn't even play with the PG and they still have guys who can score. It was the revenge of the former Jazz players. I miss Bogie and the Jazz lost that trade. They should have gotten a first for him. Jazz have no chance if Lauri scores 13 points. Jazz should extend Beasley. Dude scored 29 again off the bench.

kabenac

Jazz should be embarrassed by this loss. Losing at home to a loser team.

Hardy needs to pull a Tom Thibodeau and emphasize defense during practice.

Simone needs more playing time.

Sexton... man he tries. A lot of his assists were basic and telegraphed but I really like the passes he gave to KO in the paint. There were two that come to mind and I was impressed. I also like his bounce pass assists. I think he had one to Clarkson in the paint and it was nice.

Sexton clanked a lot of 2nd half shots but all of them were good, open attempts. Finally, his mid-range game is nice. He needs to shoot more mid-range as he hit a bunch of them in the first half. You can tell the coaching staff is giving him direction and Sexton is working hard to be a better team player. I saw that last night; I think he's going to become a better passer - he had some bad passes that were too risky and I think he'll adjust.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
BBQ chicken refers to being too small in the low post. I would have said attacking the basket on a drive and going over them is something completely different.

As for Lauri, Detroit as a team defended him very well, played him very tight and aggressive which took away the angle which he had to attack the rim and going through/over the top of their defenders. He also didn't seem to have it (his legs) tonight, which meant he was naturally less aggressive.
Ehhh the guys I play with it just means you are cooking them… doesn’t matter how. Burn, cook, Bbq chicken are all synonymous for us… sorry for the confusion.

Not sure why he wouldn’t have his legs tonight… they were on a back to back not us.

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
BBQ chicken refers to being too small in the low post. I would have said attacking the basket on a drive and going over them is something completely different.

As for Lauri, Detroit as a team defended him very well, played him very tight and aggressive which took away the angle which he had to attack the rim and going through/over the top of their defenders. He also didn't seem to have it (his legs) tonight, which meant he was naturally less aggressive.

Nah, BBQ chicken means the player is going to eat. It isn’t specific to being small in the post. Get your basketball lingo up son.

Jazzinho

As much as I love Lauri I think the ratio of Jazz fans to Lauri fans on here is reaching a tipping point and is going to get overwhelming at some point this season. We have a ton of new posters on here and I assume most of them are here for Lauri. We might have got a few fans of other players but no where near the number of Lauri people. If we get losses piling up or make a youth switch its going to be rough sailing on here.

But I think we get back on track with our homestand after these two road games. Hopefully we win 1 or both the road games. This board overreacts to everything though, quite the emotional bunch.
It will still be better than LoPo vs Cy saga

HermanG

Jazz should be embarrassed by this loss. Losing at home to a loser team.

Hardy needs to pull a Tom Thibodeau and emphasize defense during practice.

Simone needs more playing time.

Sexton... man he tries. A lot of his assists were basic and telegraphed but I really like the passes he gave to KO in the paint. There were two that come to mind and I was impressed. I also like his bounce pass assists. I think he had one to Clarkson in the paint and it was nice.

Sexton clanked a lot of 2nd half shots but all of them were good, open attempts. Finally, his mid-range game is nice. He needs to shoot more mid-range as he hit a bunch of them in the first half. You can tell the coaching staff is giving him direction and Sexton is working hard to be a better team player. I saw that last night; I think he's going to become a better passer - he had some bad passes that were too risky and I think he'll adjust.
Yeah that one handoff pass to KO where Kelly cut behind him was a thing of beauty. The whole play and all defenders were flowing one way and Sexton turned the ball away from the flow to the backdoor. I do remember him having another one between defenders or something... but that one stuck out to me as well.

HermanG

Ehhh the guys I play with it just means you are cooking them… doesn’t matter how. Burn, cook, Bbq chicken are all synonymous for us… sorry for the confusion.

Not sure why he wouldn’t have his legs tonight… they were on a back to back not us.
It definitely looked like his bounce wasnt there when he hit the front iron on those few shots early on. I dont know if Hardy made them run lines after the loss or smth.

But I cannot sugarcoat the loss or his performance in the first half. He did show up for the second half but I think that one stupid elbow non-call threw him back off and eventually ended up snapping our back.

I never thought Sexton would play PG as good as he did and we would still lose. Defense was eventually why we lost.

It definitely looked like his bounce wasnt there when he hit the front iron on those few shots early on. I dont know if Hardy made them run lines after the loss or smth.

But I cannot sugarcoat the loss or his performance in the first half. He did show up for the second half but I think that one stupid elbow non-call threw him back off and eventually ended up snapping our back.

I never thought Sexton would play PG as good as he did and we would still lose. Defense was eventually why we lost.

IMO he was in for 39 minutes last game and went HARD for offensive boards all game and just did not recover for this one.
What I read in some Finnish discussions, some seems to think if Lauri is at all using performance enhancing substances, which we know being a common practice in American pro leagues. If he does not that is gonna lead to less or more off games during the season. If he is using like most of them then he just has to work with endurance even more.

Collin had his best game of the season. He is not Mike but did as well HE can and not lot more to ask from him. In becoming months I would think he is getting better running the floor with the developmental staff helping him out.

sip

IMO he was in for 39 minutes last game and went HARD for offensive boards all game and just did not recover for this one.
What I read in some Finnish discussions, some seems to think if Lauri is at all using performance enhancing substances, which we know being a common practice in American pro leagues. If he does not that is gonna lead to less or more off games during the season. If he is using like most of them then he just has to work with endurance even more.

Collin had his best game of the season. He is not Mike but did as well HE can and not lot more to ask from him. In becoming months I would think he is getting better running the floor with the developmental staff helping him out.
What the heck are you talking about? Lauri is not on PED's.

HeatCheck

They got a total of zero points in the first half from Vando and Lauri.

As much as I really like Vando having him start next to Lauri is just making it that much more difficult to get Lauri easy points as the defenses are catching up. It's not like the frontcourt was having any success trying to stop Bagley on the other end of the court either. I just feel like there are still a few pieces still missing. Between Lauri, Vando, and Olynyk they got a total of 3 points from their starting frontcourt in the first half. You just can't win games that way. I saw on another board they were calling Lauri passive in this game. Maybe he's a little tired but do think teams are starting to make adjustments and he's going to become the guy opposing defenses game plan for more and more.

They made a few nice little runs in the 2nd half but just couldn't get over the hump. Every time they would get within 4 points something crazy would happen. Simone or Beasley would drive out of control, JC would hoist a bad shot, or Lauri got elbowed in the face without a foul being called. Maybe a more experienced game manager like Conley gets them into their sets but in this case I'm not really sure that's the case. Sexton had a pretty nice game so happy for him. Kessler looked pretty good in his minutes too. Beasley was red hot in the first half but cooled down a bit in the 2nd.

The next 13 games is a gauntlet and going to really decide what they end up doing in January in regards to dealing any of the veteran players. I'm pretty sure Ainge already has an idea what he's going to do but we will see how it plays out.

HeatCheck

Very fair comment.

Just one thing: In Finland people are also very ”cruel” with their comments of Lauri.

If he has a bad game = he’s a total waste of space according to them.

But there are also those who think he can walk on water. And most are in between = realistic.

But I think it is not fair to label him this or that.

He was very good during 1st&2nd Bulls years, then he was put into his own dog house by Boylen lifting weights&standing in the corner like waiting for a bus or something.

In Cavs he was good, no doubt about it.

I think he averaged like 15p/game during those years. That is not statistics of a failure and he was never used as option 1-2 during those years, mostly not even 1-3.

Hope he can help Jazz, if Ainge&fans think he cannot then he should be traded away. Very simple.
Welcome. Nice to see some reasonable takes.
For the most part Jazz fans are thrilled to have Lauri.
Most of the Finn fans seem very reasonable although the ones who think Lauri walks on water and only want to trash the rest of our team can get a little tiring.
We already have fans that want to trade a player every time they have a bad game. I guess that's the nature of these fan forums.