What's new

Game Thread Nov 25, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Warriors

Added to Calendar: 11-25-22

I don't like the way things are unfolding right now. It's looking like we're going to be stuck in the middle...not bad enough to get a really good draft pick, but not good enough to win a playoff series. Pretty much the worst spot you can be in the NBA.
This isn't a treadmill situation - we have so many assets with which to improve.

Lets just keep calm until we get that home stretch. Its obvious our biggest weakness is our defense. We can definitely improve working as a unit once we get to spend some time in SLC.

Defense is s collective effort, and these guys havent played together for that long. Everyone is new to each other between our players and coaches.

I just hope Hardy can coach that side of the ball as well. We know he can coach offense.

Biggest positive takeaways:
We scored 119 points while shooting like crap from 3.
Sexton is continuing to mature, and we saw JC play smarter ball as well.
Maybe NAW isnt as bad as we thought. At least the horrible 3 TO stretch vs Pistons didnt destroy him mentally.

Those two had a combined 17 assists tonight so they were passing the ball.
Tonight. One data point. And they weren't setting up Lauri as much as moving the ball in the motion offense. I want to see them focus more on getting Lauri more shots specifically.

Just watch the replay. Usual NBA game, 3pt contest winner get the game. We shoot too poorly and when it's the case, we cannot win if defense is not good enough. We start to look like a team who could end in the lottery.

1. jazz defense is balls. esp transition D, when they do a headcase turnover on their own fast breaks. Just total mental lapses.
2. as balls as the defense is, there is no ****ing way looney should grab boards over 4 people. defensive rebounding has been absolute balls.

I think Sexton need to go back to the bench and let NAW play with jc. Sexton is being targeted alot on d and we need him to add more scoring on the bench . NAW adds defense and some ball handling maybe can co-exist with jc until Mike comes back.

Tonight. One data point. And they weren't setting up Lauri as much as moving the ball in the motion offense. I want to see them focus more on getting Lauri more shots specifically.

Not happening without a pg. His brand of offense does not mesh with pure shooting guards. His career month in 2019 was much about Otto porter jr. who is not a guard but quite a good making plays fro the wing. Otto had health for a while back then and his presence and IQ unlocked Lauri like Mike has done this season. He is now shooting career high from 3pt line though. And the last ten games 46.4 %. The one hammer down dunk he got last night was from JC almost losing the ball but in the last second found him. He starts now games going for some cuts as he used to but as he almost never gets them in his hands he shoots threes. Which is ok as far he is shooting like he has done last weeks.
This team just needs lot of pieces. More defensive force and two future point guards. One to start and one to come off the bench.

Not happening without a pg. His brand of offense does not mesh with pure shooting guards. His career month in 2019 was much about Otto porter jr. who is not a guard but quite a good making plays fro the wing. Otto had health for a while back then and his presence and IQ unlocked Lauri like Mike has done this season. He is now shooting career high from 3pt line though. And the last ten games 46.4 %. The one hammer down dunk he got last night was from JC almost losing the ball but in the last second found him. He starts now games going for some cuts as he used to but as he almost never gets them in his hands he shoots threes. Which is ok as far he is shooting like he has done last weeks.
This team just needs lot of pieces. More defensive force and two future point guards. One to start and one to come off the bench.
Good points. I agree they do need quite a few pieces. People are blaming the past few losses on not having Mike but the real fact is they were already slipping with Mike in the lineup. Unfortunately Conley, like Porter was in Chicago, is older and very injury prone.

I'll also contend that if you need to add all those defenders, rebounders, a wing creator, and 2 PG's around Lauri to be successful then he's not a #1 franchise player. From the outside that seems similar to the formula they had around him in Cleveland last season that seemed to work so well for them with Allen, Mobley, Garland, Rubio, etc.

I'm fine changing out most of team with trades and all the draft capital the next few years. Expect Danny to do alot of roster churn. My guess is Ainge's main goal this season was to find a few keepers so in that regard it's been successful.

No, I just think you're being overly harsh on the Jazz for struggling against a nightmare schedule while being quite generous to other teams. For example, in the other thread you were singing the Wolves and literal Lakers praises for having recent success against a piss-easy schedule, while saying the Jazz should just tank because they're only 3 games above .500 against an absolute hell schedule.

I swear you live in an alternate universe. The jazz have by no means played a nightmare schedule. It had the potential to be but it actually ended up being a lot softer with a lot of teams missing key players or being in a rut when we faced them. Also the wolves have looked over the last few weeks regardless of the schedule and it is stupid not to acknowledge that. Obviously I hope it all falls apart but they seem to be figuring some things out. The same thing goes for the Lakers. They are looking a lot better and to say otherwise makes no sense. Also I'm not claiming they are turning into a great team. I just think they end up around .500.

You keep acting like it is somehow outrageous to think the Jazz could still get a top 8 pick when in reality there is a very good chance we could get there with a couple tweaks and that is by far what is in the best interest of this franchise.

Good points. I agree they do need quite a few pieces. People are blaming the past few losses on not having Mike but the real fact is they were already slipping with Mike in the lineup. Unfortunately Conley, like Porter was in Chicago, is older and very injury prone.

I'll also contend that if you need to add all those defenders, rebounders, a wing creator, and 2 PG's around Lauri to be successful then he's not a #1 franchise player. From the outside that seems similar to the formula they had around him in Cleveland last season that seemed to work so well for them with Allen, Mobley, Garland, Rubio, etc.

I'm fine changing out most of team with trades and all the draft capital the next few years. Expect Danny to do alot of roster churn. My guess is Ainge's main goal this season was to find a few keepers so in that regard it's been successful.

He is not #1 as he is. If he gets more things into his arsenal he might. But I would bet more for the 2nd or 3rd option. He is as his best when creating off-ball or semi clear lanes to drive. We need that #1 to him become the perennial All Star he might be able to do. But I do not see him as the #1 option of a contender.

Utah Jazz: The Collin Sexton Edition.

I don't enjoy watching this group anymore. And it's not just about the losses. It's the way we play now.

No, Sexton not the only problem. But he's pretty much the personification of what's wrong. Just too many guys playing atrocious defense (either lazy, or stupid, or just plain bad) and then forcing rushed shots with blinders at the other end. Yes, Sexton "tries hard". But he's being paid $17 million to play basketball this year. It's not enough to try hard.

The example set by Mike Conley was much more important than his stats. Somehow he was able to curb the worst impulses of some of the guys he played with, just by being out there with them, calmly playing team basketball. Making the right passes to cutters, standing his ground on defense (even at 35 years of age and 6'1''), never losing focus.

Now he's gone and it's affecting everyone, in various ways.

Lauri is lost. Clarkson is playing for Team Free Agency. Hardy doesn't have his "coach on the floor". And God only knows what Vando is doing.

How is it possible to have an NBA team with zero capable playmakers left on the roster when the starter goes down?

I don't enjoy watching this group anymore. And it's not just about the losses. It's the way we play now.

No, Sexton not the only problem. But he's pretty much the personification of what's wrong. Just too many guys playing atrocious defense (either lazy, or stupid, or just plain bad) and then forcing rushed shots with blinders at the other end.

The example set by Mike Conley was much more important than his stats. Somehow he was able to curb the worst impulses of some of the guys he played with, just by being out there with them, calmly playing team basketball. Making the right passes to cutters, standing his ground on defense (even at 35 years of age and 6'1''), never losing focus.

Lauri is lost. Clarkson is playing for Team Free Agency. Hardy doesn't have his "coach on the floor". And God only knows what Vando is doing.

How is it possible to have an NBA team with zero capable playmakers left on the roster when the starter goes down?
Jebus… somebody needs to get laid. Unless the team is 10-3 and wins a bunch of close games some folks can’t handle it. Sexton makes major improvements but since he aint perfect yet he’s a selfish moron.

(Whispers) let me let you in on a secret… Guess what guys… if he was a heady playmaker who was a great defender combined with his speed he never would have been available.

We were supposed to win 23 games this season according to experts who are quite good at what they do… now we got guys bitching about how we are the basketball version of the Three Stooges cuz we lost to (checks the schedule) the defending champs at home.

If this is how you feel please don’t watch. Don’t come back and jump on the bandwagon again. Basketball like life has its ups and downs. The sky isn’t falling.

No, Sexton not the only problem. But he's pretty much the personification of what's wrong. Just too many guys playing atrocious defense (either lazy, or stupid, or just plain bad) and then forcing rushed shots with blinders at the other end. Yes, Sexton "tries hard". But he's being paid $17 million to play basketball this year. It's not enough to try hard.

Probably one of the worst posts I’ve seen on this site. Sexton actually gives effort on the defensive end. He guarded Steph a lot of the time he was in. Guarding Steph and still dropping 13/7 is nothing to sneeze at.

Forcing rushed shots you say? Let me see his stats last two games *checks notes*:

2 total turnovers and 11/20 from the field.