What's new

Obamacare, explained.

It's not quite that cut-and-dried. Catching a runny nose early can prevent serious consequences in that (under 1%) of the time that worse things happen. One of the biggest drains on our medical system is preventable conditions only being treated in the emergency room, after they have become serious.

I understand the point, but have doubts that the emergency room treatments are a bigger drain than the excess doc visits. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, but really common sense should rule the day. Most docs are just going to send you home anyhow and have you call back when some real condition exists (fever over 104, difficulty breathing, death, erection over 4 hours, etc.).

I guess the point is -- for better or for worse -- I assume that Americans are much more accustomed to visiting the doctor more often, getting x-rays and tests more often, etc. than some of our first-world counterparts. We can't bring costs down to French levels unless we behave like the French (which would put the American deodorant industry under stress -- perhaps a separate topic).

i was talking more in general/mysituation.

here in the netherlands healthcare has been up for a gazillion years.
healthcare insurance is mandatory.
with absurdd prices.(130 euros a month)
and will likely go up next year.
I have a problem with this mandatory thing.

Oh I see and I totally agree with you. There are a couple things that really do not like about Obamacare. For one, the Catholic Church administers 1/5th of all medical care in the United States and they have a very strong position against abortion. Under Obamacare, they will be forced to administer contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients to its patients and employees. This is a violation of the first amendment and a waiver must be implemented for religious institutions in these types of situations.

Under Obamacare, they will be forced to administer contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients to its patients and employees. This is a violation of the first amendment and a waiver must be implemented for religious institutions in these types of situations.

So, if I go to a Catholic hospital, I have to receive substandard care because of their beliefs? If your doctor is a JW, should he be free to refuse to prescribe a blood transfusion for you?

I'm pretty confident that I'm being clear. Debating the true costs of production is important to both human health and environmental health. If you don't think so, then....

For some odd reason I don't think clarity is the problem gameface is having with taking you seriously.

So, if I go to a Catholic hospital, I have to receive substandard care because of their beliefs? If your doctor is a JW, should he be free to refuse to prescribe a blood transfusion for you?

Are you concerned that your birth control will run out soon?

the funnyt thing is over here they stopped giving birth control(the pill) few years back.
because it was either that or increase the money.
this health insurance sucks

"the pill" is super cheap. Like cheaper than ibuprofen and several orders of magnitude cheaper than pregnancy and child birth.

"the pill" is super cheap. Like cheaper than ibuprofen and several orders of magnitude cheaper than pregnancy and child birth.

$11 a month which begs the question, why did Obama mandate that insurance companies not only cover BC but cover it free of charge.

$11 a month which begs the question, why did Obama mandate that insurance companies not only cover BC but cover it free of charge.

So republicans would stop bitching about welfare queens popping out kids that everyone else has to support?

That is correct, the reason for this is because our nation was founded on the idea that individuals should be granted religious freedom regardless of the religion or beliefs they espouse.

To prevent insurance companies from charging for a service that actually saves them money, using the power of the monoploy they have for any given worker.

That is correct, the reason for this is because our nation was founded on the idea that individuals should be granted religious freedom regardless of the religion or beliefs they espouse.

So, every time you go to a doctor, you need to quiz the doctor on their religious beliefs and how dedicated they are to those beliefs in order to make sure you get proper care, and that's religious freedom?

How about this for religious freedom: if you can't in good conscience fulfill all the duties of a licensed professional, don't pursue that license?

So, every time you go to a doctor, you need to quiz the doctor on their religious beliefs and how dedicated they are to those beliefs in order to make sure you get proper care, and that's religious freedom?

How about this for religious freedom: if you can't in good conscience fulfill all the duties of a licensed professional, don't pursue that license?

I dont know what to tell you. I didnt write the bill of rights, the point is that we live in a country in which you are free to follow any religion. Thats a basic founding principle. To attack the catholic church while they provide healthcare to the disadvantaged is hardly a beneficial plan in my opinion. A waiver would be far more efficient, especially since it would be likely that the catholic church would just shutdown their hospitals if they are forced to perform or aid in birth control or abortions.

How about this for freedom: as a customer, find a professional who will provide what you desire. "Proper care" is subjective.

the catholic church would just shutdown their hospitals if they are forced to perform or aid in birth control or abortions.

That's what the regulators want. Conformity and "equality" above common sense. Seriously, what's next...banning donations to food shelters in NYC just because the food might not completely conform to a government-determined "balanced diet"?

That's what the regulators want. Conformity and "equality" above common sense. Seriously, what's next...banning donations to food shelters in NYC just because the food might not completely conform to a government-determined "balanced diet"?

I love this comment. That's exactly how I feel about it, and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the government stepped into regulating charity.