What's new

Game Thread Oct 11, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Spurs (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-11-22

MJ is a terrible owner. He won't empower people outside of his small circle for long enough to get traction. The just seem to have zero plan.
I mean, I dont really blame MJ too much for what's happening now.

It's just kind of an absolute wrecking ball when your 2nd best player does what Bridges did.

THT was actually good… except shooting. JB was pretty good tonight. Looks like he just playing basketball again instead of overthinking things.

Vando finishes less than @Saint Cy of JFC ‘s lovers… He plays hard and gets his hands on the ball a lot but I think his energy glue guy routine on this tanking team is a bit of a waste.
I think there is something there with Kessler if you go hard core on his development. I know it sounds weird but I think he gets better on offense with a spaced floor. His hands are great already as a rookie (he hands look Malone like - probably the sprinting too, but nothing else) and gets into spots quickly and flows and moves on offense. He should start over Olynyk or Vando or Markannen. The Jazz could win some more games if they maximize Kessler this season (which they won't).

I think there is something there with Kessler if you go hard core on his development. I know it sounds weird but I think he gets better on offense with a spaced floor. His hands are great already as a rookie (he hands look Malone like - probably the sprinting too, but nothing else) and gets into spots quickly and flows and moves on offense. He should start over Olynyk or Vando or Markannen. The Jazz could win some more games if they maximize Kessler this season (which they won't).
I think KO is still a much better player overall. I think I am the lone guy that thinks Vando is not super interesting to me. I think Lauri and Kessler might be a good 4/5 pair for this group. Not sure who the 3 would be. Walker could be a starter by year end but I don't think it hurts the tank... likely helps it... he's still a rook.

I think KO is still a much better player overall. I think I am the lone guy that thinks Vando is not super interesting to me. I think Lauri and Kessler might be a good 4/5 pair for this group. Not sure who the 3 would be. Walker could be a starter by year end but I don't think it hurts the tank... likely helps it... he's still a rook.
Good points. I love Vando, but maybe he should come off the bench.

I would do a Kessler at the 5 (I hear he could also hit the three), Olynyk at the 4, Lauri at the 3, Clarkson and Conley as your starters. He's a rookie, but, but those starters could compete (we would just need the bench to be bad).

Vanderbilt plays like he has basketball ADHD. His chaos sometimes results in good things happening, but just as often turns in to bad things happening. I was excited about him as a defender, but he doesn't seem to have the discipline to be a lock down defender or awareness to be a great team defender. It's still early, so I'll give him time before writing him off.

I do think we should continue to give him ball handling/distributing responsibilities and see where he can develop. This continues to be a great year to give guys a chance to show things they haven't shown before. He will be a huge negative on offense unless he can play on ball.

Vanderbilt plays like he has basketball ADHD. His chaos sometimes results in good things happening, but just as often turns in to bad things happening. I was excited about him as a defender, but he doesn't seem to have the discipline to be a lock down defender or awareness to be a great team defender. It's still early, so I'll give him time before writing him off.

I do think we should continue to give him ball handling/distributing responsibilities and see where he can develop. This continues to be a great year to give guys a chance to show things they haven't shown before. He will be a huge negative on offense unless he can play on ball.
Minny is a chaos style defensive system... or at least they were... so he thrives in that type of environment. I think he's good and a great value... some on here calling him Rodman is just wild.

After watching most of the 3 preseason games these are my takes on the current Jazz. I will also add that Sexton appears super tentative coming off the meniscus surgery but will give him the benefit of the doubt since it's only preseason. Didn't really cover JC either since we all know, for good or bad, he just kinda goes out there and does his own thing.

1. This team only has one game manager and it's 35 year old Mike Conley. I imagine there will be nights where he is resting throughout the season. Paging Ish Smith..where is he these days anyway. They could use another game manager who is not going to add W's to their win column.

2. This is a wing league and this squad has exactly zero 2 way wing players. Nobody could stop the Spurs wings last night (Vassell/Keldon Johnson). Gay is too old. THT might have the most potential but he gets very wild and out of control at times. Speaking of wild and out of control NAW has the worst shot selection I have ever seen in an NBA player. Every one of his shots is almost like a turnover and also noticed Hardy did not play him in the 2nd half. Markkanen can be a mismatch on offense but he does not have the lateral footspeed to defend NBA wing players. Fontecchio looks intriguing but has only played against 3rd stringers. He can shoot but I have no idea if he can defend at the NBA level. Beasley is mainly just a shooter. Can't really say much about Agbaji but he might be in a similar archetype as Beasley only with a bit more athleticism. Johnson is an energy guy but we're not sure he makes the roster yet.

3. The Vanderbilt/Olynyk/Markk frontcourt looks interesting on paper but none of these guys are centers that can protect the rim. I can appreciate Vandy's hustle but he by far had the worst +/- on the team last night at -23 and don't have confidence he can make any shot outside of 3 feet. It's almost as if they are playing 4 on 5 offensively with him on the court. This team is already handicapped by a lack of distributors/game managers so Vandy's lack of offense is especially noticeable. I would love his archetype on a team like the Suns who have a bunch of playmakers on offense. Since they are rebuilding anyway maybe they should consider installing Kessler as the starting 5 and move Olynyk to the bench. Honestly if I wouldn't be too surprised if Kessler is the only guy from this current squad that is still on the team in 4-5 years.

4. Maybe he is getting his direction from the FO but am a little disappointed in Hardy's rotations to this point. I don't understand why Agbaji didn't get any minutes last night in a blowout esp with Beasley sitting out. We all know cuts are coming in a few days but you would think guy like Bolmaro and Johnson would get a little run unless it's already a foregone conclusion they are getting cut? In the 4th quarter Pop was playing all his kids and it just seemed Hardy was trying to come back and win the game. I understand setting a culture but once you hit the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game don't see harm in giving your lottery guard a bit of run. Agbaji is already 22 and won a national title in college so it's not like you are throwing a 19 year old to the wolves in that situation.

I’m actually kind of meh on Vando. Thought we should’ve wrapped him up into a bigger trade just to maximize value before we put him in a crap role on a tanking team.

I guess if we’re lucky, DA might still be able to wrap Beasley, Vando and either Conley or Clarkson into some sort of deal for Westbrook and hopefully get a positive asset out of them.

Gay's presence annoys me so much that I just don't enjoy to watch the games right now.
That said, at this point this team is not an NBA team. They're just atrocious, hard to imagine anything worse. Hope is intended.

This team is a mess. There's almost nothing the Jazz can rely on other than Kessler making good contests on defense and Markkanen and THT both being able to finish a fast break.