What's new

Oh hey, the Jazz are playing in Cleveland rn...

Brantley has higher upside, but Oni has an easier path to being in a rotation. Just shoot catch and shoot 3s well and play passable defense. Brantley's got a unique body/skillset, but he does a lot of stuff in the G League that just won't work against pros.
If Oni had Trevon Bluiett's outside shot, he would be very, very good.

Nice win even though it was expected. I thought the starters played well overall. Donovan didn't have a great game but he did have 9 rebounds. Royce got the team started. I thought Conley played well with 6 assist and no turnovers. Even Joe with only 2 shots had 8 assists. Rudy bounced back and had 5 blocks. Right now I will take any win. Nice night for the Jazz because both Dallas and Houston lost. I would love it if the Jazz went 4-0 or 3-1 on this trip. Anything else and I might need to pain medication.

The comments about the win being bad because it was against a crappy teams are ridiculous. Well the Jazz have lost a few games against crappy teams before and Houston lost to NY Knicks so good teams lose against crappy teams. This is the NBA on any given night even crappy teams beat good teams.

The Jazz just aren't ever going to return to good defensive form are they

They gave up 113 points on 46% FG and 40% 3FG to a bottom 5 offense.

Atrocious.

I wasn't able to watch this one but I'm glad we got the W. Looking at the box score, it seems like everyone played well. Two of our next three are easy winnable games, the Celtics game Friday is going to be really tough.

Jazz need to win games offensively. They won't do it defensively. Tonight was just another example. 46/41.5 shooting. 11 offensive rebounds. Only 6 turnovers. Cleveland still had a 117 rating tonight. Jazz have the worst defensive rating in the NBA over the last 15 games (117). They are down to 12th overall defense in the NBA. Before the Clarkson trade, they were 105 defensive rating, afterwords, they have been 112 (and thats with a long stretch of relatively easy games). Offense has gone from 107 to 117 (once again, probably influenced heavily by the easy stretch of games), but continues to be much better even with a more difficult schedule. Gone are the days of being in every game with a bad offensive night because of your defense.

Jazz need to win games offensively. They won't do it defensively. Tonight was just another example. 46/41.5 shooting. 11 offensive rebounds. Only 6 turnovers. Cleveland still had a 117 rating tonight. Jazz have the worst defensive rating in the NBA over the last 15 games (117). They are down to 12th overall defense in the NBA. Before the Clarkson trade, they were 105 defensive rating, afterwords, they have been 112 (and thats with a long stretch of relatively easy games). Offense has gone from 107 to 117 (once again, probably influenced heavily by the easy stretch of games), but continues to be much better even with a more difficult schedule. Gone are the days of being in every game with a bad offensive night because of your defense.
I think you are right, however I don't think the coaches are even close to satisfied will a below average defense. I don't see evidence that they are capable of doing something about it.

Jazz Defensive Rating from 10/22 to 12/23.... 105.5 (10th in the NBA)

Jazz Defensive Rating from 12/24 to 3/2.... 112.3 (19th in the NBA)

The only thing that's changed in that span is we waived Green and traded for Clarkson. Neither move changes the defensive capabilities of the team THIS much. We're obviously capable of so much more on defense. We literally saw it early in the season.

The only thing that's changed in that span is we waived Green and traded for Clarkson. Neither move changes the defensive capabilities of the team THIS much. We're obviously capable of so much more on defense. We literally saw it early in the season.
That translates in effort, the lack thereof, wherever it comes from..

That translates in effort, the lack thereof, wherever it comes from..

Exactly. I really wish the team could figure this **** out and play as hard on defense as they did at the start of the season.

The Jazz offensive rating since 12/24 (Clarkson trade 12/23).... 117.9 (1st in the NBA).

If they could just get back to a 107 defense that's a +10 net rating team. Which is elite.

Exactly. I really wish the team could figure this **** out and play as hard on defense as they did at the start of the season.

The Jazz offensive rating since 12/24 (Clarkson trade 12/23).... 117.9 (1st in the NBA).

If they could just get back to a 107 defense that's a +10 net rating team. Which is elite.
I think a lot of it is effort, but I think plenty of it is that other teams have figured us out. Our atrocious marks against 5-out offenses are about more than effort, for example. And we should se more teams throw that wrinkle at us if they have it in their arsenal.

Reactions: SCS
We aren’t a physically imposing team. So even if we see a statistical improvement on defense during the stretch run, it’s very reasonable to expect another slide during the playoffs.

Reactions: SCS
I think a lot of it is effort, but I think plenty of it is that other teams have figured us out. Our atrocious marks against 5-out offenses are about more than effort, for example. And we should se more teams throw that wrinkle at us if they have it in their arsenal.

I think this is true to a degree. I don't think that what other teams have figured out is something we're incapable of fixing though. And I still think the majority of our issues are on our end. Things we control.

Another interesting stat....

Here's something we should maybe think about.....

Is it possible that Quin is intentionally trying some weird things defensively for some unknown reason like it seems like he did with all of the isolation offense at the start of the season?

Its more teams adjusting to them. Look at the rating in the last 15 games (117.0). Teams know how to attack this defense and are doing it succesfully.

Is it possible that Quin is intentionally trying some weird things defensively for some unknown reason like it seems like he did with all of the isolation offense at the start of the season?

I guess it's possible but it doesn't really look like it. I think the biggest problem is teams have been playing 5 out against us more than ever and drawing Rudy away from the basket, which takes away all of our rim protection. Combine that with our perimeter defenders having a really hard time staying in front of their man and getting blown by on a consistent basis and that pretty much explains our defensive woes.