What's new

Olympic Tournament

Does this silence those who blamed Gobert for our second round exit? The dude dominated.

Maybe the issue is that we need to surround better players around Gobert? Maybe Q Snyder needs to change his coaching?

because all I heard was that rudy was the cause for our loss.

Thoughts?
It wasn’t Quins fault lol. It was in large part because our guards couldn’t defend at even an average rate on the perimeter and Rudy was put in an impossible situation of guarding both a wide open layup and wide open corner 3.

France played well. Pop did some weird stuff with the lineups for the USA.

Pretty clear that Lavine should NOT be starting. He is an absolute liability on defense. Tatum also basically stops the offense every time he gets the ball.

Holiday
Dame
Booker
KD
Draymond

Tatum should be the 6th man, with Middleton basically spelling Booker. Keldon Johnson should play when KD goes out. Bam should backup Draymond. Lavine should get VERY limited minutes.

Draymond and Bam should not be starting together. Floor spacing is all screwed up. If you're not gonna start Booker, he needs to backup Dame (that worked actually really well in this game). Middleton should start if Booker doesn't.

This team is just a cobbled together mess. No leaders either - a guy like Kobe would be ripping these guys.

I’d low-key favor going back to an actual team of non-NBA players that can put together 2-3 months of working together vs. assembling the team at the last minute.

Last edited:
Patty Mills played well against Nigeria. Made some tough shots.

Exum falling around the court and getting frustrated.

Oni was on the court a while but didn't do much at all. I wish Udoka was there.

I like Thybulle - too bad he's not a FA for a few more seasons.

I think the Olympics is one of those things that Athletes love and people who don't watch sports normally love. So basically nerds watch and nerds don't watch cuz they never played a sport
I played 3 sports in high school. Continue to play racquetball and basketball to this day (51 years old). So not sure what bucket of yours I fit in, but I think the Olympics has been irrelevant for going on 2 decades, nigh-unwatchable for 1.

Gymnastics is about the only event with staying power.

To save basketball they should stop sending pros and go back to sending college kids for the US. Then it might mean something.

I love this physical style , wish the NBA was like this
Yeah the NBA went the completely opposite direction because hey decided all anyone wants to see is a scoring race with no defense. The NBA has just about completely ****ed up their product. Turned the flop into a winning strategy. What a joke. Used to be international play seemed soft, now the NBA is like Charmin compared to the international game. Pathetic.

It wasn’t Quins fault lol. It was in large part because our guards couldn’t defend at even an average rate on the perimeter and Rudy was put in an impossible situation of guarding both a wide open layup and wide open corner 3.
I mostly agree. Rudy was in a no win situation.

Rudy supposedly looking like **** was a Quin problem.
I recall Quin being dog walked in round 2. I understand that the small ball the Clippers gave us long and hard might’ve doomed us no matter what. I’m also aware that having an injured backcourt probably doomed us no matter what. But it’s pretty funny to see people get ruffled when we talk about the Jazz’s lack of adjustments during that series. Why didn’t we go big? Why didn’t we go small? Why didn’t we try a zone?

I remember many on here just blaming Rudy for everything.

I recall Quin being dog walked in round 2. I understand that the small ball the Clippers gave us long and hard might’ve doomed us no matter what. I’m also aware that having an injured backcourt probably doomed us no matter what. But it’s pretty funny to see people get ruffled when we talk about the Jazz’s lack of adjustments during that series. Why didn’t we go big? Why didn’t we go small? Why didn’t we try a zone?

I remember many on here just blaming Rudy for everything.
I’m so onboard with this post. Can you imagine Ty Lue’s thought process during the 2nd half of what ended up being the elimination game? As the Clips continued to cut into the Jazz’s huge lead, Ty was probably sitting there trying to anticipate what adjustments Quin was going to make so he’d be prepared to counter, but the adjustments never came.

For a team that had so much continuity, they tended to look utterly lost at times when teams would throw something at them that they didn’t expect. Some of that can be chalked up to personnel, but some of it absolutely has to fall on coaching. For all the good that Quin has done for this team, pretty much all if it has came during the regular season. He gets out coached an awful lot come playoff time and if I’m Ryan Smith, I’m one more poor playoff showing away from making a change.

It was mostly this. But also, quin should have tried SOME adjustment. ANY adjustment. He did nothing though. That is on Quin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

When factoring in the Rudy effect you have to remember that the rules in FIBA are different. No defensive three seconds so full zone makes bigs tough to beat. Still need good players on the perimeter but that type of defense forces you to shoot well from outside.

We sucked at zone whenever we tried it last year. You really have to rotate and move as a team which is often our biggest issue in any defense. I’m not smart enough to know how good or bad of a coach Quin is… but I’m leaning a little bit more to the side that says he needs to reconsider some things if we are to get to the next level.

When factoring in the Rudy effect you have to remember that the rules in FIBA are different. No defensive three seconds so full zone makes bigs tough to beat. Still need good players on the perimeter but that type of defense forces you to shoot well from outside.

We sucked at zone whenever we tried it last year. You really have to rotate and move as a team which is often our biggest issue in any defense. I’m not smart enough to know how good or bad of a coach Quin is… but I’m leaning a little bit more to the side that says he needs to reconsider some things if we are to get to the next level.

Rules help for sure. NBA forces you to defend just one side of the rim so if weakside doesn't slow down the penetration, it's over. It's how Clips beat the Jazz last two games.

But Rudy switched a lot against USA too and he didn't sag that much or try to recover immediately to the rim. Even when France gave up a rebound. You could see some trust there.

Zone defense is weird, there are too many variations and you need some length to play basic zones. Jazz lack the lateral quickness and awareness to slide and block the zones like Clippers did.

It really doesn't matter much when your perimeter defenders get beat easily, it keeps everyone moving and creates spaces. Best Jazz could do I think was shrink the floor and force pull-up jumpers but it's not like Clips don't have players to punish that.

Last year's defense during the regular season was kind of fool's gold, it had me fooled for sure after saying Jazz can't play good D if they have 4-5 bad defenders in rotation prior season. Or Conley was important on defense too but I don't know how much about that.

Rules help for sure. NBA forces you to defend just one side of the rim so if weakside doesn't slow down the penetration, it's over. It's how Clips beat the Jazz last two games.

But Rudy switched a lot against USA too and he didn't sag that much or try to recover immediately to the rim. Even when France gave up a rebound. You could see some trust there.

Zone defense is weird, there are too many variations and you need some length to play basic zones. Jazz lack the lateral quickness and awareness to slide and block the zones like Clippers did.

It really doesn't matter much when your perimeter defenders get beat easily, it keeps everyone moving and creates spaces. Best Jazz could do I think was shrink the floor and force pull-up jumpers but it's not like Clips don't have players to punish that.

Last year's defense during the regular season was kind of fool's gold, it had me fooled for sure after saying Jazz can't play good D if they have 4-5 bad defenders in rotation prior season. Or Conley was important on defense too but I don't know how much about that.
I’m watching it now… he’s not waiting at the rim. He’s moving around a lot.

I think maybe Pop has lost his fastball.

I hope these games prove to the NBA that it needs some retooling. We aren’t guaranteed to win Gold anymore. Maybe allow more physical play and more defense like the rest of the world does.

I’m watching it now… he’s not waiting at the rim. He’s moving around a lot.

I think maybe Pop has lost his fastball.

2-3 years ago imo. Though their roster is meh. I feel bad for Messina—assuming he’s still there. Pops (or maybe it was the media) made it seem like he was going to retire in a year about seven years ago. He hasn’t.

Holy **** Doncic dropped 48 in the olympics and didn't play the last 4-5 minutes.

And some people here thought he wasn't an MVP caliber player, lol.

Patty Mills played well against Nigeria. Made some tough shots.

Exum falling around the court and getting frustrated.

Oni was on the court a while but didn't do much at all. I wish Udoka was there.

I like Thybulle - too bad he's not a FA for a few more seasons.

Thybulle would be fantastic next to Donovan. And yeah Exum was falling over as per usual but he actually had a really good positive impact on the game

Commendable effort from Japan against Spain. Tied at 26 with 5 minutes left in the half. Playing physical and attacking the boards, trying to make every possession count. They will probably proceed to lose by 15+.

--Make that 30+. Rubio dissecting the Japan defense and hitting 3s.

--Cool dunk by Hachimura, though.

Last edited: