What's new

Our off-season salary cap situation

Or if we even ever seriously considered keeping Kanter (since we would have had to get rid of someone to retain him).
A couple things:

1. You can go over the cap to re-sign your own players. The Jazz could have kept Booker, all their minimum/unguaranteed guys, and still signed Kanter for up to the maximum salary. In that case, the Jazz would also have had the Mid-level exception and Bi-annual exception to sign free agents.

2. The Jazz would still have been well below the luxury tax if they re-signed Kanter and kept everyone else.

This might come off as nitpicky, but this oft-repeated phrase is baffling to me. What is a player worth?? He's worth what's being offered for him.

Was Dirk Nowitzki (and Pat Garrity) worth Robert Traylor? Was Scottie Pippen worth Olden Polynice? Was Julius Erving worth $3 million in cash? Was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (and Walt Wesley) worth Dave Meyers, Junior Bridgeman and Brian Winters?

I think it is a good debate as to whether the Jazz's strategy was best or not. My view is that they should have ridden him out for the rest of the year, gambled that he gets and reasonable offer ($10mm plus/minus) and they match. Then, assuming he is on a reasonable salary scale, trade him opportunistically to a team in need. In my opinion, they had a better opportunity to extract more value with this strategy. And, I do agree there are scenarios where this strategy could go south, such as him signing the QO and he walks for nothing.

So I disagree with those who say "stupidest trade ever" and I disagree with those who say "trade him for a bag of potato chips"

We'll look back in 5 years and be able to tell if it was a good deal or not. Today, impossible to tell.

At worst, I have to return to the Jazz on the QO and I just go out there and look for my shot everytime I touch the ball so I can pad my stats.

I think this underestimates the sophistication of most front offices of evaluating personnel. The average fan looks at PPG and RPG and makes conclusions on player value. Perhaps some of the weaker teams do the same. But most have far more sophistication.

My dream off season:

Wes Matthews, 4 years/40 million
Koufos, 3 years/14 million
Andre Miller, vet minimum

PG: Exum/Burke/Miller
SG: Matthews/Burks/Millsap
SF: Hayward/Hood/Ingles
PF: Favors/Rookie/Jarrett
C: Gobert/Koufos

That team goes to the playoffs. If we can keep Booker, I'd be up for that as well.

Bad news for the "Max Out Matthews?" crowd.

Max out Matthews crowd needs to go back to school, and watch more basketball. Signing Matthews would be great, but a max contract?? Jazz make stupid decisions all the time, but I think this is one that they wouldn't even make.

I think the speculation is really beating time dead until the lottery took place. Then it becomes interesting speculation.