What's new

Pau Gasol?

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Earlier in the year I would have said NO WAY!
But he posted a triple-double in a pressure game.
Lakers MUST dump salary. There's NO WAY they can hang on to Pau and sign Howard (unless they amnesty Kobe). Even a rich team like LA isn't going to pay the 200% luxury tax rate.
Pau, Derrick and Enes at 32 mins each. Not a bad rotation of bigs.

I've been secretly hoping for this for like 1/2 the year now.. so yes, that would be nice and I'm pretty sure he's expiring next year?

As much as I don't want Pau Gasol's old legs, I can definitely see him as a Vlade Divac type player with our team. Gasol instantly upgrades our passing game and he won't take a lot of shots away from our young bigs. For the right price... this move should be made.

All true but he is such a whiny bitch - I don't know if I can bring myself to root for him.

And I rooted for Matt Harpring.

There are a lot of teams that would be willing to give up talent for Gasol. If we were to get him, one of the 4 would have to go. Lakers' best option is to amnesty Kobe and let him rest for a year, then bring him back. If Dwight chooses not to stay, then they don't have to get rid of anyone else.

I don't want to give the Lakers anything of value if we are helping them out with the Gasol contract. I would prefer we just did nothing if they wanted a substantial piece in return.

Earlier in the year I would have said NO WAY!
But he posted a triple-double in a pressure game.
Lakers MUST dump salary. There's NO WAY they can hang on to Pau and sign Howard (unless they amnesty Kobe). Even a rich team like LA isn't going to pay the 200% luxury tax rate.
Pau, Derrick and Enes at 32 mins each. Not a bad rotation of bigs.

I would take Pau, especially if it meant that we could get rid of Marvin. Maybe we do a sign and trade with Al and Millsap, for a trade exception, and then use that trade exception to get Pau. I don't think that the lakers can do a sign and trade while they are over the cap.

One bad thing about Pau though, is that my wife hates him worse than any other player in the league. She says he looks like a deep sea dweller, whatever that is. I would be watching less Jazz games with my wife if we traded for him!

Can we sign and trade Milsap and Marvin? I think the Lakers could really use Milsap as a good stretch 4 and Marvin as a stretch 4 as well. D'Antoni's offense needs a stretch 4 to work the way he wanted. The Lakers would prbly like to have Mo Williams too.
Let's give them all our mediocre trash for Pau.

There are a lot of teams that would be willing to give up talent for Gasol. If we were to get him, one of the 4 would have to go. Lakers' best option is to amnesty Kobe and let him rest for a year, then bring him back. If Dwight chooses not to stay, then they don't have to get rid of anyone else.

1. Teams that amnesty a player cannot then re-sign him. So if the Lakers amnestied Kobe then Kobe would not be back. The Lakers are not going to amnesty him regardless of how much it saves them.

2. They have Dwight's bird rights so they can re-sign him even if they keep Gasol. Does that mean they will just because they can? No, but it's not impossible.

3. Teams might be willing to give up talent, but the Lakers don't want salary back. So essentially, they are going to dump him for a trade exception. Then, they probably will want a second deal where the team taking Gasol trades a stud on a rookie salary plus a pick for one of the players currently on the Laker's team. However, I'm not sure there really are a ton of teams willing to give up a young player on a rookie deal, plus a draft pick, and take back a crappy Laker player, and the $20MM of Gasol's salary. But I wouldn't be surprised, either.

All true but he is such a whiny bitch - I don't know if I can bring myself to root for him.

And I rooted for Matt Harpring.

I rooted for him when he was on the Grizzlies back in the day.

Yes, if the team decides they really want to try to make the playoffs next year. No, if they just want to run with the core four (or the price is too high). I would give up Marvin and the 2nd rounder Brooklyn owes us, not much more. As has been said, this is only an option if Dwight re-signs and they don't amnesty Kobe. Also, bring in Calderon to run the point for a couple years and watch the offense open up.

Do we even have any players that are under contract next year where we could salary match in a Gasol trade?

1. Teams that amnesty a player cannot then re-sign him. So if the Lakers amnestied Kobe then Kobe would not be back. The Lakers are not going to amnesty him regardless of how much it saves them.

2. They have Dwight's bird rights so they can re-sign him even if they keep Gasol. Does that mean they will just because they can? No, but it's not impossible.

3. Teams might be willing to give up talent, but the Lakers don't want salary back. So essentially, they are going to dump him for a trade exception. Then, they probably will want a second deal where the team taking Gasol trades a stud on a rookie salary plus a pick for one of the players currently on the Laker's team. However, I'm not sure there really are a ton of teams willing to give up a young player on a rookie deal, plus a draft pick, and take back a crappy Laker player, and the $20MM of Gasol's salary. But I wouldn't be surprised, either.
There weren't any takers at the deadline. Lakers will have a very limited number of trade partners available as they HAVE to dump salary. There were no takers at the deadline and I'm sure they were asking for little in the end: perhaps expiring contracts and picks. I'd give them Murphy and a lottery-protected 1st.

Do we even have any players that are under contract next year where we could salary match in a Gasol trade?
Don't have to salary match as the Jazz will be WAY under the cap (assuming neither Al nor Paul are brought back). This is why a trade for Gasol makes sense. Jazz simply offer LA an opportunity to dump that contract, which LA desperately wants to do since the tax penalty will be 200% at their projected level (if they give Dwight Howard a contract).

If we let most of the FA's go, we are below the cap and don't have to match salaries (LA would get a TPE). I would be ok sending Marvin, as they could amnesty MWP and need a SF.