Penciling in our Depth Chart

Qman

Just thinking through our depth chart:

Burke/Garrett?/Lucas III?
Burks/Exum/Clark?
Hayward*/Hood/Malcom Thomas?
Favors/Evans/Murphy?
Kanter/Gobert

The ?'s marks indicates unguaranteed contracts. We technically will have 13 players under contract. Only 8 have guaranteed contracts and Hayward is a RFA.

Looking at the roster we probably need a veteran big and to keep one of Thomas or Murphy.

I don't see the need for 3 PG's on the roster given Exum's versatility.

We could use a better veteran guard.

Finally we are going to have to pay someone. If we take Jeremy Lin's contract and force the rockets to give up something for that privilege-- maybe Capela's draft rights or a 2016 first round pick that could be awesome.

I wonder if we will be able to work out Extensions with Burks and Kanter that make sense.

I'd put Neto in there over Garrett and Lucas.

Also Exum may be in the PG rotation and Not SG.

Jazz will no longer run traditional 1 PG system, much like they didn't last year witth how much Hayward handled the ball. Exum/Burke/Neto can all play minutes and handle the ball since Exum has enough size to play with either.

*If Neto comes over*

PG - Burke, Exum, Neto
SG - Burks, Neto
SF - Hayward, Hood
PF - Kanter, Evans
C - Favors, Tomic, Gobert

Holy **** we are young.

PG - Burke, Exum, Neto
SG - Burks, Neto
SF - Hayward, Hood
PF - Kanter, Evans
C - Favors, Tomic, Gobert

Holy **** we are young.

It makes Marvin Williams make some sense. We need a stretch 4 and good veteran guy. The problem is we need to pay about 20 million more in salary to his the salary floor. Hayward's likely 12 mil per year would help on that front.

I wouldn't give the starting position to Burke without making him earn it.

Last season there literally was no competition for the starting position, Tinsley and Lucas were that bad and Garrett wasn't anything special. Starting position was handed to Burke. Let Exum and Burke duke it out in summer league and preseason.
I'd like to see if Exum can defend the perimeter better, push the ball more and get better looks in transition than Burke.

It makes Marvin Williams make some sense. We need a stretch 4 and good veteran guy. The problem is we need to pay about 20 million more in salary to his the salary floor. Hayward's likely 12 mil per year would help on that front.

we don't need to hit the salary floor.

#inb4GVC

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];856977 said:
we don't need to hit the salary floor.

#inb4GVC

True, but there is no reason not to. We have to play out that much salary regardless. Might as well rent it out.

Probably won't be this way initially, but I can see the roster ending up like this if Exum and Tomic live up to potential.

PG: Burke, Neto
SG: Exum, Burks
SF: Hayward, Hood
PF: Favors, Kanter
C: Tomic, Gobert

In this scenario, Burks and Kanter get major min off the bench

Burke/Exum/Neto
Burks/Exum/Neto
Hayward/Hood/Evans
Kanter/Evans
Favors/Gobert

That's all I care to see.

I think if Tomic comes over our starting lineup is

Exum
Hayward
Hood
Favors
Tomic

Off the bench is

Burke
Burks
FA
Kanter
Gobert

Although I think we have some trades that happen before the season starts. If not we will have a trade by the deadline.

Trey - Exum - Veteran
Burks - Exum
Hayward - Hood
Kanter - Evans/Veteran
Favors - Gobert

I love Neto but I don't think he will be coming over now because of Exum. Exum and Hood will be great off the bench.
We will probably sign a crappy veteran at the 3rd string PG and back up PF who is a stretch 4 who competes with Evans.

This is only if Hayward is signed. I am actually thinking we might end up doing a sign and trade for a REAL SF for Hayward.
And start Alec. And Have Hood and Exum off the bench.

I'm pretty sure they will have Exum start from day one, this isn't the old days of Sloan or Corbin, Exum whom we used the 5th pick on this deep draft on will start at either guard position, I promise.

Burke/Garrett/Neto
Exum/Burks
Hayward/Hood
Kanter/Evans
Favors/Gobert

Last edited:
True, but there is no reason not to. We have to play out that much salary regardless. Might as well rent it out.

Agree. Dennis "the Dealer" is on the phone to Houston, New York, Clippers, Cleveland, Miami, etc. offering to help facilitate the LBJ and Carmelo signings. Not sure what we can get, but the money is "spent" anyways. So get MOAR draft picks!

Jody Genessy: Raul Neto will play on the Jazz's Summer League squad, but the addition of Dante Exum all but guarantees he'll play in Spain next year.