What's new

Players only meeting.

candrew

8pm EST. Apparently there are some big names that want to leave the bubble and end the season where it is.

I'm all for players doing whatever they want to do. Everyone has free will.

However, I think NBA players might have a false sense of how much influence they have over our country, culture, and government. A police officer making an extremely bad decision and potentially killing someone isn't going to change because NBA players decided not to play a game.

Any changes NBA players, or the public in general, would like to see regarding police brutality, criminal justice reform, etc. are not going to be solved overnight. There are 300+ million people living together in this country. Police shootings, even unjustified ones, are not going to stop anytime in the near future. The goal should be to minimize and reduce these over time. If NBA players refrain from playing until all unjustified police shootings are eliminated...........they aren't going to be playing during this lifetime.

Of all the leagues, the NBA has been the most supportive of the current protests, from what I can tell.

I'm all for players doing whatever they want to do. Everyone has free will.

However, I think NBA players might have a false sense of how much influence they have over our country, culture, and government. A police officer making an extremely bad decision and potentially killing someone isn't going to change because NBA players decided not to play a game.

Any changes NBA players, or the public in general, would like to see regarding police brutality, criminal justice reform, etc. are not going to be solved overnight. There are 300+ million people living together in this country. Police shootings, even unjustified ones, are not going to stop anytime in the near future. The goal should be to minimize and reduce these over time. If NBA players refrain from playing until all unjustified police shootings are eliminated...........they aren't going to be playing during this lifetime.

I’d argue that Entertainment is a numbing agent. It doesn’t help the public’s attention span. It’s a distraction. Deciding to stop the season isn’t necessarily a signal that the players overestimate their impact; it’s just as easily seen as an unwillingness to put peoples’ attentions and priorities on the wrong thing.

I think enough of the players thought they could use their platform to help push the movement forward. But where’s the justice for Brionna Taylor? People need to be uncomfortable, not cloaked with the usual pacifiers.

Woaw.. I couldn't watch the game yesterday so I shut down the news. Just finished watching the game and wanted to check other scores. I thought it's a covid outbreak in the bubble when saw that the games are postponed.. I understand the players and hope it will make an effect although I think bubble NBA has been great consolation in that ****** times and I will miss it.

I’d argue that Entertainment is a numbing agent. It doesn’t help the public’s attention span. It’s a distraction. Deciding to stop the season isn’t necessarily a signal that the players overestimate their impact; it’s just as easily seen as an unwillingness to put peoples’ attentions and priorities on the wrong thing.

I think enough of the players thought they could use their platform to help push the movement forward. But where’s the justice for Brionna Taylor? People need to be uncomfortable, not cloaked with the usual pacifiers.

You may be right. At the same time, sports in particular can be a type of entertainment that brings us all together, regardless of race, religion, socioeconomic status, etc.

I would be much more impressed if instead of cancelling games, NBA players did some of the following:

-Initiated meetings (volunteering their time) with local police departments in NBA cities to discuss potential changes to protect citizens.
-Promoted more diverse police departments that were representative of the people they serve.
-Initiated town hall meetings to discuss potential changes to local law enforcement.
-Contributed a portion of their salaries or NBA revenues to additional police training or resources that could help keep people safer.
-Contributed a portion of their salaries or NBA revenues to promote black entrepreneurship, which could help uplift black communities out of poverty.

These are just ideas off the top of my head that would be more productive than cancelling the season.

The sad thing is that cancelling the season will likely decrease people's attention to these matters. Which I think is the opposite of what they want.

I support a player's choice to do whatever he wants. An entire league shutting down is a bit ridiculous.

The NBA sitting out doesn't make a bad cop do good things. Just like the NBA sitting out won't keep people from breaking the law.

I believe the NBA has been fantastic at addressing the issues that exist in this country. The bubble has been a constant reminder of the players' intolerance of the issues in the country.

If they stop playing, people stop watching so the players lose their voice. They lose their influence.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I mean at this point, I really don't care if they cancel this season or next. I don't need sports like I used to and I'm certainly not going to care about the activism of people I'm not watching play. Seems cold, but I don't go to NBA players for rhetoric on social change. I wish them well on whatever they decide.

I think players are done. The bubble has been tough and many have mentioned how hard it has been cut off from their families and lives. The fact that they are doing this and getting paid millions of dollars while intolerance rages has hit the breaking point.

I could totally see them calling it a day for the year.

I think their voices are louder in the bubble, sorry but it is true.

But if they want to walkout, then do it and create a drop the mike moment. Or get the cameras on them and few players make a statements for few minutes before each game. But it's up to them.

Covid and the racial injustice stuff all just sucks...like...royally. Can we just skip to 2021?