What's new

Playoff rotation set except PG,Exum best option against GS

tleikheen

Playoff rotation set except backup PG,Exum best option against GS

Exum played 99 minutes (33 minutes avg) against Golden State in the 3 games played this year.In those 99 minutes Exum finished (-4 points) when he played.
Golden State avg. 116 ppg in the regular season and only 103 ppg against the Jazz.This with Favors missing all 3 games and Hayward,Hill ,&Hood missing 2 out of the 3 games.Exum's perimeter defense was a factor of GS averaging 13 ppg less because offensively his shooting didn't help.With a healthy Jazz team now it's not his offense needed but his defense.Averaging 33 mpg in 3 games and not hurting the Jazz Exum has playing experience and knows GS offense and defense whereas 4 of the starters and rotation players have hardly played against GS this year.

Comparing Exum to Mack this year against GS,Mack played 90 minutes(30 mpg avg)and finished (-50 points) averaging (-17 per game) when he played.He got torched.
Neto played 27 minutes in 2 games for a (+ 3)

This past series against Clippers ,Exum looked so much faster than Neto and Mack and looking like he could have helped out so much more if he had gotten the minutes given to Neto and Mack.

This upcoming series against GS and it's uptempo pace,Jazz need Exum out there in the rotation.His speed and length will be needed moreso in slowing down GS.

Last edited:
I would be really surprised if Exum didn't get most of the backup minutes.

If nothing else, he provides the length and ability to switch onto Klay, Durant, Iggy when needed that Neto and Mack can't give us.

I think Exum plays more this series too... Livingston matchup he seems like the best fit. He also played pretty well i thought... only had one moment were he tried to do a bit too much.

Mack was way better than Exum against the Warriors.

He was huge against their 2nd unit in the final game we played where both teams just played 2nd units for the final 6 minutes or so.

He was also pretty good in the game he started in the crazy game where we had Hood/Hill/Hayward all out.

Exum was a complete dumpster fire offensively against teh Warriors. He shot 14 threes in 3 games. That tells me they probably ignored him and it paid off. The Warriors are the kind of team who will completely disrespect you if they think you cant hit an open shot.

But all the season numbers against the Warriors for the Jazz are completely wonky given the fact Hill and Hayward only played 1 of the 3 possible matchups, and they didnt play together at all against the Warriors.

Quin likes to play his bench. I think we see all 4 point guards playing in this series. I think Exum will play minutes exclusively with a couple other ball-handlers on the floor. They clearly don't like him handling offensive PG duties.

Exum was a complete dumpster fire offensively against teh Warriors. He shot 14 threes in 3 games. That tells me they probably ignored him and it paid off. The Warriors are the kind of team who will completely disrespect you if they think you cant hit an open shot.

Even shooting terribly ,when Exum played Jazz weren't getting torched or blitzed....when Mack played GS ran up the pts in 3 games , -15 in one game ,-17 in another game ,-18 in a 3rd game, those are consistent numbers to see GS offense came alive when Mack played .In any close games I don't want to see those numbers again if Mack plays.

Even shooting terribly ,when Exum played Jazz weren't getting torched or blitzed....when Mack played GS ran up the pts in 3 games , -15 in one game ,-17 in another game ,-18 in a 3rd game, those are consistent numbers to see GS offense came alive when Mack played .In any close games I don't want to see those numbers again if Mack plays.

It's really hard to look at a 3 game sample size and take +/- that seriously.

He was huge against their 2nd unit in the final game we played where both teams just played 2nd units for the final 6 minutes or so.

He was also pretty good in the game he started in the crazy game where we had Hood/Hill/Hayward all out.

But all the season numbers against the Warriors for the Jazz are completely wonky given the fact Hill and Hayward only played 1 of the 3 possible matchups, and they didnt play together at all against the Warriors.
I agree with this. Mack was better than Exum against the warriors this season. But Exum was much much better than Mack against the clippers in the regular season and that didn't equate minutes so who knows. Snyder just seems to play this by feel of who has been playing better recently. My guess is he gives Exum a chance in game 1 and if he does okay he sticks in that spot if not it will switch.

The last time The Jazz played GSW Mack was a -15 in a 6 point win.

I don't think The Warriors have one back court player that he can guard.

I think Hill continues his 36mpg clip and you give Exum shifts in 4 minute increments - I thought he showed great energy on defense yesterday (although he got lost as usual on a couple screens).

I trust Quinn.

This.

That being said, Steph Curry isn't the most lock down defender in the league, if we have our guards in scoring mode and taking it to the hoop every time (the Warriors don't have DeAndre Jordan) it could work out well for us. Even Mack should be able to hit his floater. :)

The last time The Jazz played GSW Mack was a -15 in a 6 point win.

I don't think The Warriors have one back court player that he can guard.

I think Hill continues his 36mpg clip and you give Exum shifts in 4 minute increments - I thought he showed great energy on defense yesterday (although he got lost as usual on a couple screens).

Again, +/- doesnt tell us enough in small samples to use that as the main stat.

Mack can probably guard McCaw. And in all honesty, is Mack guarding Livingston that big of an issue? Are Livingston post-ups better than Warriors shooting 3's? IDK the answer to that. Mack at least has a low center of gravity and strength to not get backed down.

Mack has shown he can score on the Warriors and get to the FT line. Warriors are a great defensive team, but some of their guards are soft defensively.

IDK, my fear with Exum is always that the offense will stall out because his man wont guard him and he will brick a couple of 3's then lose all confidence. I guess it's worth a shot to play him to see if he can either make some lucky shots or make some defensive plays.

I love exum (see my tag) but his team defense is not up to par. That is what keeps him on the bench. His one on one ability is pretty good.

Offensively exum does his damage by penetrating and and finding the open man. He is the best lob passer on the jazz and understands putting the ball where the other player can handle it.

Again, +/- doesnt tell us enough in small samples to use that as the main stat.

The 3 games played between GS and Jazz are the samples and the only ones that count ,since to get into the next round the road goes through the Warriors .All film and scouting reports are from these 3 games SO if GS offense scores more when Mack is playing than when Exum is playing then that counts.