What's new

playoff rotation

so there is conventional wisdom about shortening the rotation in the playoff to 8 players.fi jazz would to do that and what would the ideal situation be

pg Harris - Tinsley
sg Hayward - Burks
sf Millsap - Hayward - Carrol
Pf Al jefferson - Millsap
C Favors - Big al

so this makes the 8 man rotation to harris, tinsley, hayward, burks, Carroll, millsap, Big al, and favors.
and if there is foul trouble to big guys kanter just slides in.

jazz typically stick to their first unit-second unit strategy, so i expect to see us go 10 deep. the only difference is that #9 and #10 will see a lot fewer minutes. like last night, check out minute totals for kanter, burks and carroll. tinsley will play less, too, since we'll start to see devin for 30-35 minutes as a rule.

the jazz will play extensively with al-paul-derrick-hayward-harris. to me, the only variable is how many minutes that fourth wing (howard/bell/miles) will get, since the jazz have been doing a 3-man wing rotation of late, which i don't think is their ideal choice.

Don't start Sap and Favors together. We need a punch off the bench and by starting our best lineup from the get go we lose that.

so there is conventional wisdom about shortening the rotation in the playoff to 8 players.fi jazz would to do that and what would the ideal situation be

pg Harris - Tinsley
sg Hayward - Burks
C Favors - Big al

so this makes the 8 man rotation to harris, tinsley, hayward, burks, Carroll, millsap, Big al, and favors.

Agree with you in most aspects. Still want to see Kanter get a few minutes. Isnt that why a lot people wanted the Jazz to make the playoffs so they could get some experience. Anybody who thinks we are beating the Spurs is a little delusional. Howard can stay benched. Looked like he only cared about jacking up shots last night.

Agree with you in most aspects. Still want to see Kanter get a few minutes. Isnt that why a lot people wanted the Jazz to make the playoffs so they could get some experience. Anybody who thinks we are beating the Spurs is a little delusional. Howard can stay benched. Looked like he only cared about jacking up shots last night.

I think Kanter will at least get a couple of minutes each half. If he does well he will probably get his time extended a bit, but it will be a short leash.

Don't start Sap and Favors together. We need a punch off the bench and by starting our best lineup from the get go we lose that.

you could also argue that by the time the bench comes in spurs have already put away the game.
remember those first qtr runs spurs always have against the jazz?
what does jazz have to lose?

Part of me feels that way, but it just seems like we come out so flat at the start of games and at the start of the 2nd half that I am thinking I'd like to go with our best line-up to start as well, not just finish. If we just managed our subs correctly so we have a good playmaker coming in with the bench in the 2nd quarter I think it could work.

I like the rotations that Corbin did in the PHX game. We can stick with that setup, but for it to work, we need Harris to be the catalyst for this team at the start of the game. He needs to be his, "drive to the hoop", "create contact" and "get to the line" self in the first quarter. He needs to be aggressive right out of the gates. I want him to be subbed out after taking 7-9 shots, and hopefully scoring about 8-14 points.

That alone would solve the slow starts issue. But then—Yes! MORE of the Harris, Hayward, Millsap, Favors, Jefferson line-up, please.

I've just always liked the idea of starting your 4 of your 5 best players, and keeping a reserve punch on the bench.

jazz typically stick to their first unit-second unit strategy, so i expect to see us go 10 deep. the only difference is that #9 and #10 will see a lot fewer minutes. like last night, check out minute totals for kanter, burks and carroll. tinsley will play less, too, since we'll start to see devin for 30-35 minutes as a rule.

the jazz will play extensively with al-paul-derrick-hayward-harris. to me, the only variable is how many minutes that fourth wing (howard/bell/miles) will get, since the jazz have been doing a 3-man wing rotation of late, which i don't think is their ideal choice.

link?

I would have hoped that Howard would be that punch off the bench. But after last night my dreams were dashed.

pg Harris - Tinsley
sg Hayward - Burks
C Favors - Big al

Boooooriinnnngg.

This is the playoffs, baby! Martin Lawrence, Chris Tucker, and Mike Tyson among other crazies will be watching. We need to keep the games interesting, not competitive.

Did you guys listen to Locke's tip off this morning? He mentioned that the Jazz got real lucky that the "right" guys got injured for the Jazz. They took the inefficent players off the floor and the Jazz got much better. I thought that was an interesting fact.

Did you guys listen to Locke's tip off this morning? He mentioned that the Jazz got real lucky that the "right" guys got injured for the Jazz. They took the inefficent players off the floor and the Jazz got much better. I thought that was an interesting fact.
Injuries solved what Corbin should have known 10 games into the season...or after reading this board for 5 minutes!

Did you guys listen to Locke's tip off this morning? He mentioned that the Jazz got real lucky that the "right" guys got injured for the Jazz. They took the inefficient players off the floor and the Jazz got much better. I thought that was an interesting fact.

yet i got a lot of neg rep for stating that a different coach might have 8-14 more wins.

i know 14 is a stretch in a 66 game season.
but 8 more win games would have been achieved easy

If Harris had gotten injured two months in the season we may have been saying the same thing. Maybe if Josh Howard stays healthy he figures it out and gets in a really nice groove ala Harris.

Also If you haven't watch todays tip off. Locke mentioned that a player tried to devide the locker room this year and Corbin handled it. Anyone know what he was talking about there?

What you said still goes both ways Dutch. A different coach might not have been able to modivate the team the same way an had the Vets tune him out and we lose 8 more games. Hard to say. Not saying that Corbin in the best coach, but he isn't the worst. And you never know one way or the other

Also If you haven't watch todays tip off. Locke mentioned that a player tried to devide the locker room this year and Corbin handled it. Anyone know what he was talking about there?

What you said still goes both ways Dutch. A different coach might not have been able to modivate the team the same way an had the Vets tune him out and we lose 8 more games. Hard to say. Not saying that Corbin in the best coach, but he isn't the worst. And you never know one way or the other

also I mentioned this in a previous post a different coach might have less wins.
one of my previous post concerning the subject
I dissagree.
jazz are in the playoff inspite of corbin.
not saying he is a bad coach, maybe overtime he will elarn. but a different coach would have given jazz 8-14 more wins.
on the other hand a different coach might also have given jazz 8-12 wins less